talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New San Siro unveiled this week

Milan and Inter will both announce plans for a new stadium on Thursday morning.

The two clubs are in total agreement over a new venue to replace San Siro, and a website (nuovostadiomilano.com) has already been set up for the launch.

The plans will be unveiled at 10:00 BST on Thursday.

“A New Stadium for Milano,” read a post on the site’s homepage.

“A new landmark of world class excellence for San Siro and the City of Milano.”

Milan and Inter both want to build a 60,000-seater arena, which includes modern elements and cladding to reduce the sound pollution to nearby houses by up to 40 percent.

It is expected to come at a cost of €605m, while creating over 3,500 new jobs

Really wish that we would build a new one and leave the old one to Milan, as I hate 'sharing' a stadium, but this is great news nonetheless. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's one stadium that needs to be replaced it's that one out of the big clubs. Went there last year and it's awful and absolute abomination.  It looks and feels like a massive multi-storey car park. Although Napoli's San Paolo is just as bad and not fit for purpose.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

If there's one stadium that needs to be replaced it's that one out of the big clubs. Went there last year and it's awful and absolute abomination.  It looks and feels like a massive multi-storey car park. Although Napoli's San Paolo is just as bad and not fit for purpose.

There is a lot of that in Italy. 

Stadio Olympico isn't that grand either. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

There is a lot of that in Italy. 

Stadio Olympico isn't that grand either. 

Yeah, many of them (almost all) haven't been touched since World Cup Italia 90. In Napoli's case it's not only absolutely disgusting but it's also been built under a spaghetti junction with all these flyovers around it and above it. Then the surroundings are just run down and most of them run by mafiosi. They have major plans to build a new one just outside the city which would be great but Aurelio de Laurentiis has come up against lots of problems from the city council.

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, many of them (almost all) haven't been touched since World Cup Italia 90. In Napoli's case it's not only absolutely disgusting but it's also been built under a spaghetti junction with all these flyovers around it and above it. Then the surroundings are just run down and most of them run by mafiosi. They have major plans to build a new one just outside the city which would be great but Aurelio de Laurentiis has come up against lots of problems from the city council.

Yeah - luckily Juventus led the way with their new stadium, and Roma are following. I think their are some other teams building planning on building a new stadium, but it's not Napoli. 

I've been to the San Siro and loved it, though I think more just because it is so far removed from anything in England and if nothing else the scale of it is incredible. I can imagine though if you are trying to turn yourself into the Arsenal and Real Madrids of the world though it is a bit of a burden - I love the concrete and lattice look but sadly the trend is for cladded bowls and Spurs-esque hospitality etc. I also know Italian football struggles to sell out for regular matches, so the downsizing approach makes sense too.

I also went to Hellas Verona when I was over in Italy - now that is a hovel. Honestly looks untouched since Italia 90.

7 hours ago, Eco said:

I think their are some other teams building planning on building a new stadium, but it's not Napoli

Well aside from the club you already mentioned in AS Roma, it should be SSC Napoli to get their new stadium first once all the ridiculous political shenanigans are exhausted (which that in itself in the south of Italy is an ask). Napoli are after Juventus and Internazionale the third most supported club in Italy (I know that sounds weird considering some of the other names there), but taking away both Juve and Inter's inter-regional support, Napoli hold the biggest local core centre in the nation which is unrivaled... They are an untapped beast that with investment in the correct manner could be absolutely huge. They have the third largest stadium in the country. The club requires something to be done because nobody in Italy gets passionate support like Napoli, not even Juve in this sense. 

This is the current situation;

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/423498/napoli-stadium-stadio-san-paolo/

Let me also add one other major appeal for SSC Napoli which is that it is positioned in the most touristic part of the country which also contains the Amalfi Coast and you can't beat that for appeal. This if you can beat the Gomorra style politics.

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Napoli are after Juventus and Internazionale the third most supported club in Italy (I know that sounds weird considering some of the other names there), 

https://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/02/top-five-best-supported-serie-a-clubs/

https://www.nssmag.com/en/sports/12684/le-squadre-di-serie-a-sui-social

• The title was changed to San Siro - New Developments Unveiled This Week
On 24/09/2019 at 08:29, Michael Simeonovitch said:

I'm not sure how they came up with that. I'd say that Inter are ahead of AC, but I'd base it all on the fact that the attendance for Inter has been higher than it has for AC, and they play in the same stadium. 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
40 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Meanwhile, the two clubs have both told the local government that their demands for the existing stadium to be retained are not feasible if the new stadium is to be construction within the same vicinity.

Dundee and Liverpool manage just fine :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

When is the final game being played at the San Siro? It's a stadium that I've always wanted to visit and was planning to visit next season. However as last night's Milan derby was the last ever at San Siro, it has got me worried that this may be the last season at the iconic venue. Does anyone know when the final game is being played at the San Siro?

1 hour ago, Eco said:

There is no date. The plans for the new stadium just released two plans, so I'd say you easily have 3-4 years at least. 

So how come that's the last ever Milan derby at the San Siro? I was under the same impression, but it being the last one confused me.

That's strange..

I have heard 2022 now that I'm looking into it for the new stadium. But no, I don't believe that was the last Milan Derby in the San Siro. 

But regardless, you should go, it's amazing, and then of course do a tour a well. Special Special place. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, ITFC130619 said:

Search "last San Siro derby" on Twitter and loads of people are saying it is but nowhere official seems to confirm it.

Only thing I can find on Google is an Ipswich Town fan forum with a post from you... 

However, you're right about Twitter. Even Sky's RequestABet are saying it's the last one. Can't seem to see why?

Archived