• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - CM - Semi Finals

Who makes the final?  

20 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Andrea Pirlo or Steven Gerrard?

  2. 2. Zinedine Zidane or Andres Iniesta?

    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Andres Iniesta


Recommended Posts

Interesting to see Zidane matched up with Iniesta before the final.

Pirlo is a clear winner in the other tie. Meanwhile Zidane and Iniesta could go either way I reckon. Both were top midfielders on their day. I was a bit too young to remember Zidane so I decided to go for the one I saw most rather than legacy (my family was never big on Zidane anyways).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pirlo and Iniesta. Sexy midfield for various reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for Steven and Zidane.

If Iniesta wins this one you are all dead to me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Went for Steven and Zidane.

If Iniesta wins this one you are all dead to me.

 

 

Zidane had patches of inconsistency. Iniesta didn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Zidane had patches of inconsistency. Iniesta didn’t. 

That is maybe why there seems to be a big group of people who didn't rate Zidane.

Teso often got slated for his opinions on him, but I know as far as he wasn't the only one who didn't rate him. Some people in my family didn't rate him and have seen it on other forums and on Twitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Zidane had patches of inconsistency. Iniesta didn’t. 

Oh stop the jiiz on Iniesta the "perfect midfielder"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Oh stop the jiiz on Iniesta the "perfect midfielder"

I get slated for criticizing Cazorla but True Blue gets off for criticizing Iniesta. Arguably a top 15/20 player of all time.

Brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I get slated for criticizing Cazorla but True Blue gets off for criticizing Iniesta. Arguably a top 15/20 player of all time.

Brilliant.

Because i am the part owner of TFF mate, i can do what i like.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, True Blue said:

Because i am the part owner of TFF mate, i can do what i like.

Which proves Smiley Culture's point the other day.

But I'm partly taking the piss. Iniesta isn't a perfect midfielder, but he is a perfect playmaker I'd like to think. It's all opinion based. 

Perfect midfielder would be a box to box type player, and that doesn't make them better than "playmakers". Just more complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iniesta is the best midfielder of my life time. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Which proves Smiley Culture's point the other day.

But I'm partly taking the piss. Iniesta isn't a perfect midfielder, but he is a perfect playmaker I'd like to think. It's all opinion based. 

Perfect midfielder would be a box to box type player, and that doesn't make them better than "playmakers". Just more complete.

I'd agree on the playmaker part no doubt. However best overall? Not a chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I'd agree on the playmaker part no doubt. However best overall? Not a chance

He's not the perfect midfielder obviously but what are you expecting the best midfielder to be? Box-to-box? Do they need to possess all the qualities in the world to be the "best".

Players like Yaya Toure are extremely rare and it's all preference. Iniesta played mostly as a playmaker and in my opinion was not limited to not be able to play the box-to-box role.

Iniesta was able to impact his team time and time again with his consistent playmaking abilities to the point some people would slate Messi because he only scored via "Iniesta and Xavi's passing". It's preference, not all managers play with a box to box, just like not all managers play with a playmaking 10-like players.

I respect your opinion but I don't get the logic that being an outright playmaker can't be the "best overall" midfielder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

He's not the perfect midfielder obviously but what are you expecting the best midfielder to be? Box-to-box? Do they need to possess all the qualities in the world to be the "best".

Players like Yaya Toure are extremely rare and it's all preference. Iniesta played mostly as a playmaker and in my opinion was not limited to not be able to play the box-to-box role.

Iniesta was able to impact his team time and time again with his consistent playmaking abilities to the point some people would slate Messi because he only scored via "Iniesta and Xavi's passing". It's preference, not all managers play with a box to box, just like not all managers play with a playmaking 10-like players.

I respect your opinion but I don't get the logic that being an outright playmaker can't be the "best overall" midfielder.

He can mate, but i don't think he is. Basically each opinion to their own i guess. I am just playing that Cicero is dead to me he is my boy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I get slated for criticizing Cazorla but True Blue gets off for criticizing Iniesta. Arguably a top 15/20 player of all time.

Brilliant.

Grow up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stan said:

Grow up. 

Get a grip xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iniesta could do it all though? Dribble, score all types of goals, great in tight spaces, great passer and vision, etc. 

His defensive game obviously not the standout but that’s why he’s next to the Mak 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for Gerrard and Iniesta. Totally agree about Zidane having spells of inconsistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Iniesta could do it all though? Dribble, score all types of goals, great in tight spaces, great passer and vision, etc. 

His defensive game obviously not the standout but that’s why he’s next to the Mak 

Was that aimed at me or at True Blue?

Iniesta could have played as a box-to-box which is what I was saying. He didn't though. He was very clearly a complete playmaker, but to be a complete "midfielder" you needed to have a bit defensive aspect of your game.

That brings me back to my point that you don't have to be a complete midfielder to be the "best".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I'm gonna say it now before I forget in a week or 2. For CAM, glad Riquelme was included but Hamsik should have also been on there. Under Sarri he was arguably the best CAM in the world. I would have nominated him if I wasn't on my 2 month break by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Iniesta could do it all though? Dribble, score all types of goals, great in tight spaces, great passer and vision, etc. 

His defensive game obviously not the standout but that’s why he’s next to the Mak 

Turned up in big games, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iniesta was basically Zidane without the iconic moments of otherworldly brilliance, but with far more consistency in all other respects.

He may not have the same emotional or nostalgic attachment as a lot of people have with Zidane, but I don't think it's hard to conclude that overall he was a better player. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Inverted said:

Iniesta was basically Zidane without the iconic moments of otherworldly brilliance

Even this wasn't entirely true.

World Cup winning goal and last minute goal vs Chelsea. He's also had his moments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iniesta was essentially the key component that allowed Spain’s dominance. Aragones recognised it and DelBosque too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iniesta was Spain's Messi. I really think they could have still won it all without any other player but not without Iniesta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pirlo and Iniesta. An easy selection that I didn't even need to think twice. There are videos of Zidane doing elaborate dribblings moves and technoques with no players near him xDIt is kinda funny when you think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for Gerrard and Zidane - the 2 best midfielders I've seen in my life imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pirlo because, its Pirlo. Oozes style so effortlessly. 

Now then.

Iniesta was supurb, but for me, life is easier to do what he does best when you have Xavi and Busquets around you.

And Zidane had the 'X Factor' I would pay to watch. He would do things that would get me out my seat.

And he'll always get my vote for one of the best headers I've ever seen on Materazzi.

Insult my family. No fucks given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Iniesta was supurb, but for me, life is easier to do what he does best when you have Xavi and Busquets around you.

 

In Zidane's team while he was at Real Madrid though, ironically he had Claude Makelele who made this team over Busquets.

Not to mention he also had the likes of Ronaldo, Guti, Figo, Cambiasso around him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement