talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - CM - Semi Finals

football forum

Who makes the final?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Andrea Pirlo or Steven Gerrard?

2. 2. Zinedine Zidane or Andres Iniesta?

• Zinedine Zidane
    • Andres Iniesta

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see Zidane matched up with Iniesta before the final.

Pirlo is a clear winner in the other tie. Meanwhile Zidane and Iniesta could go either way I reckon. Both were top midfielders on their day. I was a bit too young to remember Zidane so I decided to go for the one I saw most rather than legacy (my family was never big on Zidane anyways).

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Zidane had patches of inconsistency. Iniesta didn’t. 

That is maybe why there seems to be a big group of people who didn't rate Zidane.

Teso often got slated for his opinions on him, but I know as far as he wasn't the only one who didn't rate him. Some people in my family didn't rate him and have seen it on other forums and on Twitter.

Just now, True Blue said:

Because i am the part owner of TFF mate, i can do what i like.

Which proves Smiley Culture's point the other day.

But I'm partly taking the piss. Iniesta isn't a perfect midfielder, but he is a perfect playmaker I'd like to think. It's all opinion based. 

Perfect midfielder would be a box to box type player, and that doesn't make them better than "playmakers". Just more complete.

5 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Which proves Smiley Culture's point the other day.

But I'm partly taking the piss. Iniesta isn't a perfect midfielder, but he is a perfect playmaker I'd like to think. It's all opinion based. 

Perfect midfielder would be a box to box type player, and that doesn't make them better than "playmakers". Just more complete.

I'd agree on the playmaker part no doubt. However best overall? Not a chance

3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I'd agree on the playmaker part no doubt. However best overall? Not a chance

He's not the perfect midfielder obviously but what are you expecting the best midfielder to be? Box-to-box? Do they need to possess all the qualities in the world to be the "best".

Players like Yaya Toure are extremely rare and it's all preference. Iniesta played mostly as a playmaker and in my opinion was not limited to not be able to play the box-to-box role.

Iniesta was able to impact his team time and time again with his consistent playmaking abilities to the point some people would slate Messi because he only scored via "Iniesta and Xavi's passing". It's preference, not all managers play with a box to box, just like not all managers play with a playmaking 10-like players.

I respect your opinion but I don't get the logic that being an outright playmaker can't be the "best overall" midfielder.

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

He's not the perfect midfielder obviously but what are you expecting the best midfielder to be? Box-to-box? Do they need to possess all the qualities in the world to be the "best".

Players like Yaya Toure are extremely rare and it's all preference. Iniesta played mostly as a playmaker and in my opinion was not limited to not be able to play the box-to-box role.

Iniesta was able to impact his team time and time again with his consistent playmaking abilities to the point some people would slate Messi because he only scored via "Iniesta and Xavi's passing". It's preference, not all managers play with a box to box, just like not all managers play with a playmaking 10-like players.

I respect your opinion but I don't get the logic that being an outright playmaker can't be the "best overall" midfielder.

He can mate, but i don't think he is. Basically each opinion to their own i guess. I am just playing that Cicero is dead to me he is my boy.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I get slated for criticizing Cazorla but True Blue gets off for criticizing Iniesta. Arguably a top 15/20 player of all time.

Brilliant.

Grow up. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Iniesta could do it all though? Dribble, score all types of goals, great in tight spaces, great passer and vision, etc. 

His defensive game obviously not the standout but that’s why he’s next to the Mak 

Was that aimed at me or at True Blue?

Iniesta could have played as a box-to-box which is what I was saying. He didn't though. He was very clearly a complete playmaker, but to be a complete "midfielder" you needed to have a bit defensive aspect of your game.

That brings me back to my point that you don't have to be a complete midfielder to be the "best".

Also, I'm gonna say it now before I forget in a week or 2. For CAM, glad Riquelme was included but Hamsik should have also been on there. Under Sarri he was arguably the best CAM in the world. I would have nominated him if I wasn't on my 2 month break by then.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Iniesta could do it all though? Dribble, score all types of goals, great in tight spaces, great passer and vision, etc. 

His defensive game obviously not the standout but that’s why he’s next to the Mak 

Turned up in big games, too.

Iniesta was basically Zidane without the iconic moments of otherworldly brilliance, but with far more consistency in all other respects.

He may not have the same emotional or nostalgic attachment as a lot of people have with Zidane, but I don't think it's hard to conclude that overall he was a better player. 

Archived