talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

ESPN - Soccer's Misery Index

football forum

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God all the "woe for Man Utd" shite is pretty laughable to me. They're miserable now because they were spoiled, but it's only been a bad couple of years for them. Boo fucking hoo. Let's see it go on for a couple decades before they get to be put on a list of miserable fans.

*edit* Just seen that it was Gabriel Marcotti who did the Man Utd write up. I've got no nice things to say about that guy, I think he's an absolute dickhead. So not surprised I utterly disagree with his writeup.

Yeah, but it's an article trying to get clicked on, so you knew there were going to be put a couple of BIG teams on there. 

Meanwhile, I'm thinking more along the lines of Bolton, Bury, Conventry, Notts County, Palermo, Foggia, etc..

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I have always heard that the most miserably fanbase in England is Coventry. 

I'm not surprised given that up until a couple of seasons ago they hadn't had a finish 6th or above since 1970. Absolute madness. 

Not to mention all the other shit they've been through in the last few seasons with their terrible owners and stadium problems. 

Nice, I skimmed through it and thought it was gonna be mostly boring English or MLS sides but it's actually pretty diverse. Well done ESPN.

I'd say Universitario of Peru have it bad. They spent 2013-2017 making fun of their rivals Alianza saying they'll reach 15 years without winning a title. In 2017, Alianza won the title and Universitario haven't won it since 2013 and have largely been pathetic since then. The tables are turning. If this keeps up, Alianza fans will make fun of La U for not winning a title in 10 years. This year they have a relatively strong squad but I don't think they are the strongest.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

I'd say Universitario of Peru have it bad. They spent 2013-2017 making fun of their rivals Alianza saying they'll reach 15 years without winning a title. In 2017, Alianza won the title and Universitario haven't won it since 2013 and have largely been pathetic since then. The tables are turning. If this keeps up, Alianza fans will make fun of La U for not winning a title in 10 years. This year they have a relatively strong squad but I don't think they are the strongest.

The problem is that no one outside of Peru watches Pervian football

Flamengo were in pretty bad shape before this year too, for such a big club they are big underachievers. Obviously this past 2019 has been quite good for them, but they have much less titles you'd expect from "the biggest club in Brazil".

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah, but it's an article trying to get clicked on, so you knew there were going to be put a couple of BIG teams on there. 

Meanwhile, I'm thinking more along the lines of Bolton, Bury, Conventry, Notts County, Palermo, Foggia, etc..

Both Nottingham clubs have plenty to be miserable about. Notts County's the oldest club in the world... and they've been so poor for as long as I can remember. And I don't know when they dropped out of the football league... but they're not even in the football league anymore.

Nottingham Forest can be less miserable right now because they're in a promotion fight (finally, the sooner Leeds and Forest are back in our league the better) - but they went from being one of the big sides in England to... languishing in lower leagues and I don't think they've ever really recovered their fanbase after 30 odd years of being wank. Leeds are in a similar position, maybe more likely to be miserable as they've seen their club bottle it before in promotion fights. They still get the big crowds though because Leeds fans are fucking great.

Bolton & Bury for their obvious recent struggles. Palermo because their recent history has been pretty depressing.

All of those clubs, imo, belong on that list a hell of a lot more than some of these other clubs.

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Nice, I skimmed through it and thought it was gonna be mostly boring English or MLS sides but it's actually pretty diverse. Well done ESPN.

Universitario of Peru is such a ridiculous name for a football club.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Universitario of Peru is such a ridiculous name for a football club.

Not really, it's the norm for a lot of clubs in South America. Universidad Catolica (in Ecuador and Chile), Universidad de Chile, LDU Quito (Liga Deportiva Universitaria Quito)

I wouldn't say it's a problem - but nobody on here except you is likely to be familiar with what's going on with Peruvian football really.

Hence why I'm sharing it.

It's a funny story to share. Fans of Peru's 2 big giants make fun of each other to the point where it's almost embarrassing. Universitario fans are worse though, and the story of them making fun of Alianza going 10 years without a title, to the point where they might go 10 years without winning is a twist of irony.

There's nothing wrong with that really. If we all only talked about Europe's top 5 leagues, the forum could become dull. It's fun to share and read stories from football around the world.

4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Not really, it's the norm for a lot of clubs in South America. Universidad Catolica (in Ecuador and Chile), Universidad de Chile, LDU Quito (Liga Deportiva Universitaria Quito)

Well imo, those are all silly names for football clubs - it makes it sound like it's a bunch of kids from their uni tbh. Just because it's normal in certain places, doesn't make it silly... I've always thought adding "Wanderers" to a club's name has always been fucking weird. Where you wandering to lads?

Well imo, those are all silly names for football clubs - it makes it sound like it's a bunch of kids from their uni tbh. Just because it's normal in certain places, doesn't make it silly... I've always thought adding "Wanderers" to a club's name has always been fucking weird. Where you wandering too lads?

Well that's because that's how those clubs were founded.

I don't know about Chile and Ecuador but in Peru clubs like Sport Boys and Alianza Lima were founded by lads in school or university closer to the 19th century than the 21st.

They just happened to become popular and they stuck with the traditional names.

Just now, Inti Brian said:

It's a funny story to share. Fans of Peru's 2 big giants make fun of each other to the point where it's almost embarrassing. Universitario fans are worse though, and the story of them making fun of Alianza going 10 years without a title, to the point where they might go 10 years without winning is a twist of irony.

I hope when I'm an old man, I'll be able to do what United fans did with us during the first 31 years of my life. That just sounds good for my soul.

Good for Alianza & their fans, I hope they get that decade to rub it in their rivals faces.

• Administrator

Well imo, those are all silly names for football clubs - it makes it sound like it's a bunch of kids from their uni tbh. Just because it's normal in certain places, doesn't make it silly... I've always thought adding "Wanderers" to a club's name has always been fucking weird. Where you wandering too lads?

I always find it funny that Met Police are an official team.

Like, they represent the Police but only in name now. But it must feel weird playing for them. You may have no affiliation to the Police but you're playing for them. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope when I'm an old man, I'll be able to do what United fans did with us during the first 31 years of my life. That just sounds good for my soul.

Good for Alianza & their fans, I hope they get that decade to rub it in their rivals faces.

As a Leicester fan I was always taken the piss out of at school for supporting a 'small club' and supporting someone 'shit' in their eyes.

It gives me great pleasure (to an extent) to see them suffer in the same vein that they saw me 'suffer' as a Leicester fan with all the inconsistency and regular defeats/lack of success etc. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Scousers gave it large for 26 years until the 90’s. There was a certain irony to it.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I always find it funny that Met Police are an official team.

Like, they represent the Police but only in name now. But it must feel weird playing for them. You may have no affiliation to the Police but you're playing for them. 

I think they're still funded by the police aren't they?

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

It gives me great pleasure (to an extent) to see them suffer in the same vein that they saw me 'suffer' as a Leicester fan with all the inconsistency and regular defeats/lack of success etc. 

Winning a European cup and domestic cup in the last 3/4 years isn’t exactly the mediocrity dished out to shit small clubs though is it? Just shows how entitled most United fans are to be fair. And they should have gotten a fucking slap for being from Leicester and supporting United in the first place.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope so too, which is ironic in it's own sense. I used to be an Universitario fan. My whole family is fans of La U. However I've mostly grown out of them to be a neutral in Peruvian football and just support whats best for the league and the tradition. Also because I couldn't stand la U fans. Their constant hate over Alianza Lima got old fast. It wasn't even good memes either. It was just unfunny shite. Also the impatience with certain players and managers.

Universitario are awfully run and are almost 200 million in debt. That's part of the reason they've gone 7 years without winning.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

As a Leicester fan I was always taken the piss out of at school for supporting a 'small club' and supporting someone 'shit' in their eyes.

I'm not one to advocate for violence in most situations.

But if you're from Leicester and someone's saying "why do you support Leicester, they're shit?" they should have 7 shades of shit kicked out of them. They won't really "suffer" the same way you or any actual United fan would - they're not really connected to the club, they're just gloryhunters. They'll fuck off for whoever the next flavour of the month is once the going gets too rough and they can't bear the suffering anymore.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Winning a European cup and domestic cup in the last 3/4 years isn’t exactly the mediocrity dished out to shit small clubs though is it? Just shows how entitled most United fans are to be fair. And they should have gotten a fucking slap for being from Leicester and supporting United in the first place.

The entitled thing is part of it. Weirdly enough we won 2 domestic cups in the late 90s/early 00s but because we were a bit of a yo-yo club we were shite for some of it. But when we weren't, we were finishing top half of PL so weren't always crap xD. When I say Utd fans suffering, I mean that they're not regularly winning trophies or finishing top 4 like they used to in the time where we would yo-yo. To them that's suffering.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm not one to advocate for violence in most situations.

But if you're from Leicester and someone's saying "why do you support Leicester, they're shit?" they should have 7 shades of shit kicked out of them. They won't really "suffer" the same way you or any actual United fan would - they're not really connected to the club, they're just gloryhunters. They'll fuck off for whoever the next flavour of the month is once the going gets too rough and they can't bear the suffering anymore.

So many fans who I'm sure would wear Utd/Liverpool, even Arsenal tops back in the day are probably going to the King Power after 2016 but also would 100% go back to those clubs when they start winning regularly again.

Archived