talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Facial Recognition - Met Police to Trial New CCTV System

football forum

The Metropolitan police have been accused of defying the warnings of its own watchdogs by beginning operational use of facial recognition CCTV, despite a scathing assessment of its effectiveness from the expert hired to scrutinise its trials.

On Tuesday, thousands of shoppers in east London were scanned by van-mounted cameras pointed at the doors of the Stratford Centre retail complex, in what a senior police officer at the scene described as an “intelligence-led” deployment.

Commander Mark McEwen, the Met’s lead on crime prevention, said Stratford had been chosen because it had been the scene of “public space violence”, and that there was support from the community for the police to use “whatever tactic we can to deal with violence”.

However, Siân Berry, the co-leader of the Green party, visiting the operation, noted that by the time the sign was visible to passersby they were already in the cameras’ field of view.

“In theory I should be able to avoid having my face scanned,” she said. Some people covered their faces after seeing the sign.

“The police have gone ahead and used [facial recognition] in defiance of some serious warnings that have been issued by people like the information commissioner, the surveillance camera commissioner and the biometric commissioner,” Berry said.

The Met did not answer questions about how Tuesday’s operational use of facial recognition technology differed from previous trial uses.

I can understand the positives for using it if it helps track down serious criminals or prevents crime but at what point would it stop??? Although pretty much most people have nothing to fear it just stinks of intrusive and uncontrolled spying on the general public going about their daily activities and worries me more that the Met seem to be able to just avoid any difficult questions just like our Politicians... I don't honestly believe that there is not a single bit of modern technology that does not already track your movements, internet activity, shopping habits etc already and I am not keen on a bunch of people making the decision that it's ok to compile a shed load of info on me while being totally unaccountable for what they do with it... 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/met-police-deploy-live-facial-recognition-technology/ar-BBZTqhx?ocid=spartanntp

• The title was changed to Facial Recognition - Met Police to Trial New CCTV System
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I mean people are already willingly participating in commercial surveillance by sharing extensive personal information and even their biometrics because they find it "cool" to unlock their phone with a face scan or a fingerprint. We already allow ourselves to be monitored and tracked daily by using numerous devices in our pockets, cars and houses that record our every move, every online search, every purchase we make, listen to everything we say; we are excited about getting rid of cash and using cards and apps instead that record and keep every transaction we make - using the absolutely ridiculous “I don’t have anything to worry about as I'm not doing anything wrong” rhetoric as rationalisation. The concept of privacy and anonymity is being lost and the worst part is people are giving it away willingly without consideration and even applaud every new gadget that further invades their privacy. That mindset just makes it easier for governments to implement it as well without facing a significant public outrage and quite honestly it won't make much of a difference anymore anyway.

3 hours ago, nudge said:

I mean people are already willingly participating in commercial surveillance by sharing extensive personal information and even their biometrics because they find it "cool" to unlock their phone with a face scan or a fingerprint. We already allow ourselves to be monitored and tracked daily by using numerous devices in our pockets, cars and houses that record our every move, every online search, every purchase we make, listen to everything we say; we are excited about getting rid of cash and using cards and apps instead that record and keep every transaction we make - using the absolutely ridiculous “I don’t have anything to worry about as I'm not doing anything wrong” rhetoric as rationalisation. The concept of privacy and anonymity is being lost and the worst part is people are giving it away willingly without consideration and even applaud every new gadget that further invades their privacy. That mindset just makes it easier for governments to implement it as well without facing a significant public outrage and quite honestly it won't make much of a difference anymore anyway.

This. 

Also, it amazes me how many people willingly pay to send their DNA into one of these ancestry companies just so that someone can see where their heritage is. Absolutely absurd. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, nudge said:

Agreed.

The bigger issue is that so much of your information can be made public very quickly and i know this because I have literally seen companies I have audited show me scores of information on people they haven't even interacted with via public data repositories like LinkedIn, Facebook, etc. It's truly astounding what a machine can do when you ask it to go hunt for someone's data. Then someone says GDPR, and I say "For your children sure, for you not so much".

Archived