• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football is Broken

football forum

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Was going to do this thread myself after I'd fully read it. I got part of the way through at work but it looks like what is likely to be one of the best summaries of what a mess football's become yet.

• Subscriber

What is interesting about that article is how it has systematically gotten worse and how FIFA pulled its fingers out of things once they realized they'd look like the bad guy for enforcing some kind of financial discipline.

• Subscriber

Nail on head pretty much. It speaks volumes that Man Utd and Arsenal are probably the worst run clubs in the league over the past five years or so with a few debatable exceptions like West Ham and Fulham's disastrous return to the top flight, yet the two aforementioned giants still finish in the European places, even the top four while smaller clubs like Burnley, Watford, Stoke and Bournemouth can go 2-3 seasons without making any significant mistakes and their only reward will be a couple of record high 9th placed finishes and a Europa League qualifying spot if they're incredibly lucky before they get sucked back into the relegation/promotion merry-go-round as soon as they make a couple of bad signings or lose their manager.

To be honest, I hadn’t realised how we’re getting back into a routine of seeing clubs promoted and then relegated the next season (Cardiff, Fulham, Boro, Hull and Norwich this year). I think the premise that the gap between the bottom of the Premier League and Championship may still hold some value, however, it’s the mid-to-top end sides that are just getting further and further away from everyone else and if you’re not in that group, you’re at risk from the relegation Merry-go-round each year. 

You’re only one or two bad appointments from relegation in the Premier League these days. 

Archived