• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Wolves 0-0 Leicester - Friday 14th February, 2020

Recommended Posts

Kick-off 20.00

Live on BT Sport

1200px-Wolverhampton_Wanderers.svg.png     VS     image.png

Match History
Leicester 0-0 Wolves
Wolves 4-3 Leicester
Wolves 0-0 Leicester
Leicester 2-0 Wolves
Leicester 2-1 Wolves (Championship)

Head to Head
Wolves - 42
Draws - 34
Leicester - 37

Recent Form
Wolves - DLWLD
Leicester - DLWWL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worried we'll be on the end of a thrashing tonight :(

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Worried we'll be on the end of a thrashing tonight :(

Well they are in rather good form and their habit is to sneak a win in very late in games too. If you weather that storm I think you'll come out a victor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Worried we'll be on the end of a thrashing tonight :(

 

 

Be a good game. Don't see a thrashing either way. I do fancy Wolves though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolves are a very odd one to me. The fact they're as low down as 9th tells me we shouldn't be that worried but there's a reason they frequently seem to give the bigger sides a tough game.

I'm never particularly optimistic when we play these though for some reason.

The break should hopefully have do us some good but apparently Ndidi is still out which I'm absolutely fuming about. I thought the break was going to be where he gets fresh again but sadly it seems not. He's been our key player this year as well I think.

I'd take a point when all's said and done. Vardy badly due a goal. Thought he was a shoo in for the golden boot at one stage but not now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

Leicester City 2

Where have I read that before xD

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Well they are in rather good form and their habit is to sneak a win in very late in games too. If you weather that storm I think you'll come out a victor.

They've actually only won 1 in 6 since beating Man City. Two defeats to Liverpool included in those six, fair enough but they've also lost at Watford and drew with Newcastle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels pretty obviously wrong that you can be ruled offside even if the ball goes backwards. Feel sorry for the officials a bit here, to be honest. They have to uphold the rule as it's written, even when common sense would dictate otherwise.

And of course VAR is getting the blame...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised more wasn't made of Maddison kicking that Wolves player in the head, albeit accidentally. Endangering an opponent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

It feels pretty obviously wrong that you can be ruled offside even if the ball goes backwards. Feel sorry for the officials a bit here, to be honest. They have to uphold the rule as it's written, even when common sense would dictate otherwise.

And of course VAR is getting the blame...

I've not seen this but how on earth has that happened? I thought the ball has to go forward?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I've not seen this but how on earth has that happened? I thought the ball has to go forward?

Nope. You can't be offside if you're behind the ball, but it doesn't have to go forward.

Neto played the corner short (backwards, obviously) to a teammate who passed it backwards again for him to run onto and cross. Neto was offside when the return pass was played, having just taken the corner and not got back in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I've not seen this but how on earth has that happened? I thought the ball has to go forward?

They ruled that the player was offside when he recieved the pass from the corner, guess it doesn't matter which way he passes after that.  

I am getting tired of these offsides that you can't see with the naked eye.   To  me they are going against the spirit of the game.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was absolutely rubbish as a spectacle. A really poor game like the opening day where both teams just cancelled each other out for large parts - granted I think Jimenez having an off night has saved us - as well as a ridiculous technicality that literally nobody would've been bothered about going our way. Massively bailed out against Wolves again - eerie similarities to the home game where we also drew 0-0 and had similar happen.

I'm happy enough with the result though and this combined with Man City's situation means it would take a calamity for us to not make the Champions League, but I'm really not enthralled watching us at the minute, loads of possession and so little invention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 3 wins in 11 league games for us. Our good start is going to save us I think.

Vardy's not been on it for a while and god knows what's happened to Tielemans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm surprised more wasn't made of Maddison kicking that Wolves player in the head, albeit accidentally. Endangering an opponent?

Think you'll find Doherty head-butted Maddison's foot. 

In all seriousness, I think everyone could see it was purely accidental hence no-one making more of it. Maddison looking at the ball all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that was quite grim but that was unlucky really. No malice what so ever. If he'd sent him off for that I'd happily have seen us just walk off and not play on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite concerned by a few of our players at the minute. Schmeichel, Chilwell, Tielemans and Vardy all in really concerning form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the wheels have come off already. If so, watch out for his next transfer window because it’ll be ugly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm struggling to put my finger on it. Our last three results in the league have all been acceptable in my opinion, I don't think we're hitting the heights of earlier in the season or even close but I'm not sure I'd say the wheels have all come off yet. Definitely been something missing from us for a while though. Not looking as good at the back (I think we got away with it yesterday personally) and going forward we've become really quite predictable.

There's an argument to say that Vardy's form carried us. I do think when you're relying on one player for goals that much you're always in danger of tailing off. I think he's great but you can't really rely on him to score every single game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'm struggling to put my finger on it. Our last three results in the league have all been acceptable in my opinion, I don't think we're hitting the heights of earlier in the season or even close but I'm not sure I'd say the wheels have all come off yet. Definitely been something missing from us for a while though. Not looking as good at the back (I think we got away with it yesterday personally) and going forward we've become really quite predictable.

There's an argument to say that Vardy's form carried us. I do think when you're relying on one player for goals that much you're always in danger of tailing off. I think he's great but you can't really rely on him to score every single game.

Seasons tend to follow patterns. Teams seem to start very well (with new managers) and have a great run like us and you did earlier in the season, for example, 2-4 months of good form. As we get to the halfway point, everyone is a lot more familiar with each other, everyone knows each others' tactics, everyone knows each others' playing styles and strengths and weaknesses as they have 10-15 matches of evidence to look back on as they go into games. Matches start to get more difficult as the season goes on, teams are fighting for the league, to qualify for Europe or to stay up, new managers come in with new ideas, teams get new motivation etc.

We had a great run earlier in the season, everything was new, young players full of energy, different ideas, players and moves. The league didn't really know who we were. After a certain amount of games though, opposition teams will do their analysis and find the common themes within a team's style, they'll know better how to exploit a team's weaknesses and how to have the best defence against their strengths. This doesn't always guarantee success but better preparation will always give teams a better chance particularly as the stakes get higher as the season goes on.

We're a little similar to you, teams have found us out a little bit. We went from great attacking, energetic football to being predictable and lacking creativity. Our style hasn't changed, it's just opposition teams are a lot more clued up on our playing patterns and identity.  Of course injuries, manager selections, luck, motivation, management, player form all play a part as well but ultimately it's the teams that can find and inject the freshest impetus when things go stale that will go on to be successful in a season. That impetus can be new players, man-management or new ideas tactically for example.

Chelsea fans were singing Sarri's name early on last season as we were on a great run, we got into a rut mid-season though and just about did enough to get out of that rut and win the Europa League and finish in the top three.

Even in title-winning seasons that rut can appear. We played some of the best football I had seen from us under Conte in the first half of the 16/17 title-winning season. We still got found out a bit mid-season but just did enough in the 2nd half of the campaign to see ourselves over the line. We managed to find the motivation needed.

You lot were the same in your title-winning season.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Seasons tend to follow patterns. Teams seem to start very well (with new managers) and have a great run like us and you did earlier in the season, for example, 2-4 months of good form. As we get to the halfway point, everyone is a lot more familiar with each other, everyone knows each others' tactics, everyone knows each others' playing styles and strengths and weaknesses as they have 10-15 matches of evidence to look back on as they go into games. Matches start to get more difficult as the season goes on, teams are fighting for the league, to qualify for Europe or to stay up, new managers come in with new ideas, teams get new motivation etc.

We had a great run earlier in the season, everything was new, young players full of energy, different ideas, players and moves. The league didn't really know who we were. After a certain amount of games though, opposition teams will do their analysis and find the common themes within a team's style, they'll know better how to exploit a team's weaknesses and how to have the best defence against their strengths. This doesn't always guarantee success but better preparation will always give teams a better chance particularly as the stakes get higher as the season goes on.

We're a little similar to you, teams have found us out a little bit. We went from great attacking, energetic football to being predictable and lacking creativity. Our style hasn't changed, it's just opposition teams are a lot more clued up on our playing patterns and identity.  Of course injuries, manager selections, luck, motivation, management, player form all play a part as well but ultimately it's the teams that can find and inject the freshest impetus when things go stale that will go on to be successful in a season. That impetus can be new players, man-management or new ideas tactically for example.

Chelsea fans were singing Sarri's name early on last season as we were on a great run, we got into a rut mid-season though and just about did enough to get out of that rut and win the Europa League and finish in the top three.

Even in title-winning seasons that rut can appear. We played some of the best football I had seen from us under Conte in the first half of the 16/17 title-winning season. We still got found out a bit mid-season but just did enough in the 2nd half of the campaign to see ourselves over the line. We managed to find the motivation needed.

You lot were the same in your title-winning season.

That's a pretty good analysis to be honest and it's very hard to argue with any of it. I think unless we absolutely collapse this is still going to be regarded as an excellent season for us, but I do think we've got issues to fix in the summer for sure and I think with Europe comng too we're definitely going to need some fresh faces.

We were very poor at home to Norwich in December, that game was the end of our winning run and Vardy's run of goals, and to be honest ever since it we've looked really pretty ordinary, only turning up against West Ham and Newcastle (who were frankly impossible to not beat on those said days). I think January was a chance for us to freshen things a bit with another signing but we've left it, we won't pay any price I don't think as we're clear enough to still get Champions League football but I do think we're probably going to fall over the line and I don't really see us getting any better for the remainder of the season.

I honestly think we could win twice again this season and still make the Champions League. We are 3 points nearer to 5th than we were before that Norwich game and we've been in ordinary form at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stan said:

Think you'll find Doherty head-butted Maddison's foot. 

In all seriousness, I think everyone could see it was purely accidental hence no-one making more of it. Maddison looking at the ball all the time. 

I don't think he should've been sent off, I'm just surprised it wasn't even mentioned.

Doesn't have to be deliberate for it to be 'endangering and opponent' though. Mane was sent off for something similar a while ago and that decision was upheld, so presumably that was the correct interpretation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I don't think he should've been sent off, I'm just surprised it wasn't even mentioned.

Doesn't have to be deliberate for it to be 'endangering and opponent' though. Mane was sent off for something similar a while ago and that decision was upheld, so presumably that was the correct interpretation

I knew that was the example you were getting at but honestly, that decision if I remember rightly was a joke and I'd be surprised if I said otherwise at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking annoying we're without Choudhury against Man City meaning we probably have no defensive midfielder. It's going to be grim. His second yellow was the right decision, albeit unlucky but the first wasn't even a foul. Fuck off Mike Dean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the offside review on ref watch. One of the pundits pointed out that if there was a tollerance on the offsides people would find something else to moan about. I think that is right. People would moan that it is only a millimetre over the tollerance. Don't really get the issue personally. If you are offside you are offside. I think in a few years people will get used to it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Watched the offside review on ref watch. One of the pundits pointed out that if there was a tollerance on the offsides people would find something else to moan about. I think that is right. People would moan that it is only a millimetre over the tollerance. Don't really get the issue personally. If you are offside you are offside. I think in a few years people will get used to it.

Said this months ago as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement