• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Batman (2021)

football forum

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Haven't read it. I hear its a quick read and can be done in a day. Might give it a gander over the weekend.

Very detailed. Explains a lot, particularly why Bruce Wayne is lean vs bulky and why Edward Nigma hated him growing up. Also goes very deep into his teenage/early adult years and why he’s such a good driver 😂

On 06/03/2022 at 17:14, Cicero said:

Hide contents

Right. So I went into this film with minor expectations. I expected the film be no greater than "good". A decent interpretation of the franchise. After seeing the film, I left the cinema feeling it to be genuine masterpiece.

As @Mel81x suggested, this is arguably the best interpretation of Batman and Gotham City. This in my opinion is the true version of Batman and its intended origin. It isn't a story. It's a narrative. All coming from the interpretation of "Bruce Wayne". Unlike Nolan and Burton's version of Bruce Wayne, this "Bruce Wayne" never explored the pain of losing his parents as a child. "Bruce Wayne" isn't some egotistical playboy billionaire, he's a man struggling with his inner demons and mental challenges of experiences that were deprived of him.  He never learned to develop his "Bruce Wayne" persona, which is why he is socially awkward as "Bruce Wayne". "Bruce Wayne" is his mask. His persona is vengeance and vengeance alone, which is why we hardly see "Bruce Wayne" . We see his self discovery, change, and evolution, all against an antagonist who is the mirror image of "Bruce Wayne". It is utterly brilliant. 

Adding to the brilliant writing is the brilliant directing. A combination of film noir, darkness, and action. What Batman is supposed to be. Matt Reeves didn't just nail this, he went above and beyond. The first 10-20 minutes genuinely captured what Gotham City is supposed to be. My favorite aspect was how the Batman distress light isn't meant to be a call for help, but a warning call. When the criminals of Gotham were looking into the dark alley's fearing The Batman would be there, you felt their fear. When you saw the Penguin looking at The Batman approaching his wrecked car, you felt his fear. 

All in all, this is easily my favorite Batman film in the franchise and something I would call a masterpiece. 9.5/10. 

Seeing it again Tuesday. 

Just came back from watching this, but you already nailed it. Reading your review made me appreciate the movie for what it is even more. 

I really really liked it. Not what you'd expect when you saw the last Batman films, but more of something Batman should rather be. Especially the film noir aspect of it. 

Also Colin Farrell really was unrecognisable in this movie. If i didn't know it was him, I probably wouldn't have recognised him. 

And Zoe Kravitz really is something. :x

@Gunnersauraus Not sure how it is in Britain. But here they had a 10 minute break in the middle of the film. Perfect for going to the loo, even though it broke my immersion a little bit. 

Saw it today, really good. Must be hard to do a Batman these days as it’s been done so many times but they pulled it off perfectly. Only disappointment was there was a scene midway through where I thought they were gunna bring the Batman theme tune back but in a more serious/orchestral way, that would have been sick.

Goth boy Bruce Wayne gets a thumbs up from m

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Goth boy Bruce Wayne gets a thumbs up from m

Same. I understand he will later develop his Bruce Wayne persona, but I hope Reeves keeps him more secluded vs what Nolan and Burton did. 

Yeah I saw it tonight, hands down my favourite Batman movie now I'd say.

I just loved the dark vibe of the movie. It felt like a cross breed of Sin City and Seven, exploring how nasty an environement it can be, along with that serial killer element of the story.

And the cinematography and soundtrack perfectly encapsulated this mood. 

Paul Dano played a very good villain. Sadistic and creepy, arguably the second best villain in a Batman film behind Heath. Credit also to Jeffrey Wright who made a great portrayal of Liutenenant Gordon. He linked brilliantly with Robert Pattinson.

I also loved the narrating parts. It actually reminded me in many ways of Batman the animated series I used to watch where that happened. 

All in all, it leaves you genuinely excited for what's to come, particularly with the reveal at the end.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Yeah Pattinson and Wright’s chemistry was great. 

On a personal note, I hope they focus on other villains instead of the joker. 

I think they will but you can't really not include the joker in a bit of that villain group now that they've so openly shown him too.

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think they will but you can't really not include the joker in a bit of that villain group now that they've so openly shown him too.

Especially as we know they drafted in Barry Keoghan for that role particularly, they must have a vision for him to be involved, even if he wasn't the main arc in the next film.

On another note regarding 'Joker'  I'm really keen to see this deleted scene that Matt Reeves took out which was supposedly meant to fit in earlier on in the film. Even Keoghan said he's not seen it yet.

The way it has been described, Batman goes to Arkham to try and get inside the mind of a pyscho in an attempt to second guess The Riddler's next move. He has a brief exchange with an inmate he already knows, supposedly because he put him inside there, which is meant to be Keoghan, and its a little bit like a scene from Manhunter with Hannibal Lecter inside.

it was okay if you watch it like a goldfish without cognasance of plot, character building and pacing.  

Kravitz did a solid job as Selena Kyle, and Paul Dano was really good in his adaptation.

if you start to unwrap the wrapper it gets messy fast and the movie drags out to the point I was thinking of leaving as I went to the 5pm show and it ended at 8pm on a Sunday night.

robin Patterson went to the twilight school of mouth acting.  you are just dropped into a developed Batman story with no build up to anything about him or Bruce Wayne.  he is the emo privileged white kid lol, that trope.

it was good but absolutely nowhere near Christopher Nolan even if the Riddler was trying hard to be the joker

if you going to make a movie called Batman at least make Batman the interest, instead of a guy riding a crap bike and randomly switching between dressed and undressed.   

Michael keaton and Christian Bale did a much better job

Always good to start your post with “it’s good if you’re stupid”. 

You say Dano was really good as the riddler, then bash it one paragraph later saying he was a “try hard”. He was nothing like the joker. 

ROBERT Pattinson is a fine actor, when your opinion isn’t blinded by bias against Twilight films. Let’s judge every actor on their worst film and see how many you like in the end. Do you really need another Batman back story? We have seen it umpteen times now so I don’t understand how that can be a critique of the film. This Bruce Wayne is a confused and angry young man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. His outlook towards his public persona develops throughout the film, so I would expect even more character development in the next film. 

You should have left early and gone home to watch The Dark Knight. 

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

it was okay if you watch it like a goldfish without cognasance of plot, character building and pacing.  

Kravitz did a solid job as Selena Kyle, and Paul Dano was really good in his adaptation.

if you start to unwrap the wrapper it gets messy fast and the movie drags out to the point I was thinking of leaving as I went to the 5pm show and it ended at 8pm on a Sunday night.

robin Patterson went to the twilight school of mouth acting.  you are just dropped into a developed Batman story with no build up to anything about him or Bruce Wayne.  he is the emo privileged white kid lol, that trope.

it was good but absolutely nowhere near Christopher Nolan even if the Riddler was trying hard to be the joker

if you going to make a movie called Batman at least make Batman the interest, instead of a guy riding a crap bike and randomly switching between dressed and undressed.   

Michael keaton and Christian Bale did a much better job

the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-l

Sounds like you don't know anything about Batman though. 

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-l

Sounds like you don't know anything about Batman though. 

you disagree but think your opinion matters more.

it was a good movie, probably the third best Batman movie behind dark knight and Batman beginning.   it has certain issues that dark knight rises had to stop it being great but a worthwhile watch.

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Always good to start your post with “it’s good if you’re stupid”. 

You say Dano was really good as the riddler, then bash it one paragraph later saying he was a “try hard”. He was nothing like the joker. 

ROBERT Pattinson is a fine actor, when your opinion isn’t blinded by bias against Twilight films. Let’s judge every actor on their worst film and see how many you like in the end. Do you really need another Batman back story? We have seen it umpteen times now so I don’t understand how that can be a critique of the film. This Bruce Wayne is a confused and angry young man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. His outlook towards his public persona develops throughout the film, so I would expect even more character development in the next film. 

You should have left early and gone home to watch The Dark Knight. 

Paul Dani is a good actor, their will be blood is testament to that and his Riddler was certainly better than Jim Carrey it was however a bit copy Joker dark knight.   his performance was good if you just watch the movie for what it is.   

robin Patterson was okay, that slouched emo look for a person playing the most powerful man in Gotham is just off putting.   if this movie was the Riddler or catwoman with the mouth actor filling in it would have been the same

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

robin Patterson was okay, that slouched emo look for a person playing the most powerful man in Gotham is just off putting.   

Except in this movie he doesn't care about being the most powerful person in Gotham nor has he come full circle on the fact that his parents legacy could potentially be a lie thereby invalidating everything he's done up to this point. 

He’s not the most powerful person in Gotham. It’s Batman year 2. Why does this need to keep being repeated. Why is being compared to other Batman films? It’s a completely different story and timeline. It’s utterly incomparable.

I’m guessing he’s trolling pointlessly anyway because it’s pretty childish to continually spell the name Robert Pattinson incorrectly, like it’s hilarious.

Archived