talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Batman (2021)

football forum

It appears a lot of people are taking offense that there are some that prefer The Batman over The Dark Knight. 

Make no mistake, both are masterpieces of film in my opinion. I just prefer more elements in the former over the latter. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

It appears a lot of people are taking offense that there are some that prefer The Batman over The Dark Knight. 

Make no mistake, both are masterpieces of film in my opinion. I just prefer more elements in the former over the latter. 

Do you mean you prefer the batman over the dark knight?

I think it's a bit weird when peolle get so annoyed over people preferring certain media over another. I'm not personally convinced there is an objective standard with these things its very subjective 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

I think it’s just some of the bizarre critiques he came out with that I didn’t quite understand. The Dark Knight is an excellent film, I don’t think many here would say it isn’t in the conversation for best Batman film. 

• Administrator
On 06/03/2022 at 16:14, Cicero said:
  Hide contents

Right. So I went into this film with minor expectations. I expected it to be no greater than "good", or a decent interpretation of the franchise.

After seeing the film, I left the cinema feeling it to be a genuine masterpiece.

As @Mel81x suggested, this is arguably the best exposition of Batman and Gotham City. This in my opinion is the true version of Batman and its intended origin. It isn't a story. It's a narrative. All coming from the interpretation of "Bruce Wayne". Unlike Nolan and Burton's version of Bruce Wayne, this "Bruce Wayne" never explored the pain of losing his parents as a child. "Bruce Wayne" isn't some egotistical playboy billionaire. He's a man struggling with his inner demons and mental challenges of experiences that were deprived of him.  He never learned to develop his "Bruce Wayne" persona, which is why he is socially awkward as "Bruce Wayne". "Bruce Wayne" is his mask. His persona is vengeance and vengeance alone, which is why we hardly see "Bruce Wayne". What we do see, is his self discovery, change, and evolution, all against an antagonist who is the mirror image of "Bruce Wayne". It is utterly brilliant. 

Adding to the brilliant writing is the brilliant directing. A combination of film noir, darkness, and action. What Batman is supposed to be. Matt Reeves didn't just nail this, he went above and beyond. The first 10-20 minutes genuinely captured what Gotham City is supposed to be. My favorite aspect was how the Batman distress light isn't meant to be a call for help, but a warning call. When the criminals of Gotham were looking into the dark alley's fearing The Batman would be there, you felt their fear. When you saw the Penguin looking at The Batman approaching his wrecked car, you felt his fear. 

All in all, this is easily my favorite Batman film in the franchise and something I would call a masterpiece. 9.5/10. 

Seeing it again Tuesday. 

On 08/03/2022 at 21:37, Tommy said:

Just came back from watching this, but you already nailed it. Reading your review made me appreciate the movie for what it is even more. 

I really really liked it. Not what you'd expect when you saw the last Batman films, but more of something Batman should rather be. Especially the film noir aspect of it. 

Also Colin Farrell really was unrecognisable in this movie. If i didn't know it was him, I probably wouldn't have recognised him. 

And Zoe Kravitz really is something. :x

@Gunnersauraus Not sure how it is in Britain. But here they had a 10 minute break in the middle of the film. Perfect for going to the loo, even though it broke my immersion a little bit. 

On 08/03/2022 at 23:48, Lucas said:

Yeah I saw it tonight, hands down my favourite Batman movie now I'd say.

I just loved the dark vibe of the movie. It felt like a cross breed of Sin City and Seven, exploring how nasty an environement it can be, along with that serial killer element of the story.

And the cinematography and soundtrack perfectly encapsulated this mood. 

Paul Dano played a very good villain. Sadistic and creepy, arguably the second best villain in a Batman film behind Heath. Credit also to Jeffrey Wright who made a great portrayal of Liutenenant Gordon. He linked brilliantly with Robert Pattinson.

I also loved the narrating parts. It actually reminded me in many ways of Batman the animated series I used to watch where that happened. 

All in all, it leaves you genuinely excited for what's to come, particularly with the reveal at the end.

Safe to say I was not disappointed after seeing the trailer, precisely for a lot of the reasons above. 

It was a spectacle, an excellent movie with plenty of twists, turns superb acting. The score was brilliant. 

Agree with @Cicero saying Bruce Wayne is the mask - as in the unmasking of the truth is unmasking him, not necessarily Batman. Also very much agree about @Lucas's villain points - a film as dark as this needs a darker villain; that sadism and creepiness portrayed by Dano is perfected so well. I actually thought about Sin City during the film - the darkness, the second-guessing, the narrative, the 'story', the requirement to think and not just watch. 

Class film and glad I saw it at the cinema, as opposed to just on TV. 

• Subscriber
On 08/03/2022 at 06:32, Cicero said:

Very detailed. Explains a lot, particularly why Bruce Wayne is lean vs bulky and why Edward Nigma hated him growing up. Also goes very deep into his teenage/early adult years and why he’s such a good driver 😂

So much makes sense now. I also can see why Reeves decided not to put a lot of this into the movie. Those "almost 3 hours" would have turned into a LOTR extended cut lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2022 at 13:17, OrangeKhrush said:

The Joker looks like he is back to form to,  while the Joker movie was a good stand alone movie.    not sure his name but I remember the actor from 71 and Dunkirk. 

Barry Keoghan.

Whilst he was good in thise films, he was outstanding in The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Very sinister. I think they saw enough in that to see he'd put a great take on Joker.

19 hours ago, Lucas said:

Barry Keoghan.

Whilst he was good in thise films, he was outstanding in The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Very sinister. I think they saw enough in that to see he'd put a great take on Joker.

I will have a look.   that last sequence was so dark.  it opened a whole new look at Batman who is perceived as a virtuous caped crusader to possibly being a guy with porous moral bedrock

• Subscriber

I havent seen the new one yet but this thread is giving me urgency.

On 12/03/2022 at 09:16, Tommy said:

Personally I thought Batman Begins was better than The Dark Knight. :ph34r: Probably gonna get crucified for that. 

I completely agree. The Dark Knight was good but in particular the whole rise and fall of Two Face was distracting and rushed and still left a bad taste in my mouth. Tbh the entire movie is overshadowed by Heath and thats fair but judging the movie on its own merits becomes hard because of that. Batman begins was fantastic all the way through. 

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Lucas said:

Barry Keoghan.

That is still to this day one of the strangest movies Ive ever seen I still dont know what to think of it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Want to cry of happiness and sadness. 

2.5 year wait 

I am very curious who the villain is here. I saw some artwork (possibly fan-made but couldn't be bothered to check) and it had ice in it.

8 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I am very curious who the villain is here. I saw some artwork (possibly fan-made but couldn't be bothered to check) and it had ice in it.

Not sure how Mr. Freeze coincides with the realism and tone of this Batman. 

I'm hoping for the Court of Owls personally. 

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

For me, if they went with them, it would be the perfect way to carry on that Seven/Serial Killer vibe the first had about it. Can you imagine seeing those White Owl masks popping up killing off people, it's almost 'Horror' like. Very sinsiter and exactly what I loved so much with their depiction of The Riddler.

The only thing I wonder is how Joker fits into this given his tease at the end of the first film. I can't believe they will just park that there.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think the CoO should really be the end of the trilogy because Bruce is just learning to be a vigilante and is going to show how he has to work with Gotham. I'm not sure a group of killers is really going to make that something easy to do but then again, I didn't think they'd jack the Riddler up the way they did. I may be the only one to say this, but I really hope we don't get a Joker-centric movie in any of these movies. 

Edit: The same goes for Catwoman. There's so much more in the universe that is good to explore.

Archived