talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City Receive Two Year Champions League Ban

football forum

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manchester City say they are "disappointed but not surprised" by the "prejudicial" decision and will appeal.

They added in a statement: "The club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.

"In December 2018, the Uefa chief investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun.

"The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked Uefa process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver. The club has formally complained to the Uefa disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.

"Simply put, this is a case initiated by Uefa, prosecuted by Uefa and judged by Uefa. With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity."

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves until after any appeal, but if it were to be upheld, would that mean 5th place get a Champions League spot, assuming Manchester City finish top 4?

As I say, wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves with this. I'd hope if it is upheld this sets a precedent and all clubs from here on in are treated the same way.

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

"Simply put, this is a case initiated by Uefa, prosecuted by Uefa and judged by Uefa. With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity."

Who would have thought that UEFA would initiate and investigate possible breaches into UEFA rules and then have UEFA prosecute and judge whether or not UEFA rules were broken!

If leaked emails and voicemails are the evidence UEFA has, I think they should have a pretty ironclad case at the CAS appeal. The idea that UEFA can't initiate, investigate, and prosecute it's own rule violations is absurd - the issue will be weather UEFA has the evidence to demonstrate that Man City were going around trying to hide their FFP violations. And apparently these evidence include emails and voicemails that demonstrate that City was misreporting the "sponsorships" from their parent company in order to inflate their numbers to get passed FFP. If CAS overturns this (not lessens - I could see maybe evidence showing that City was committing wrongdoing but 2 years is too harsh, but fully overturns this), then I think CAS will look very corrupt considering the reported evidence.

19 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

City have been inflating their numbers for years. It’s alway a sellout at the Etihad apparently, even though we all see those swathes of empty blue seats.

That's quite common though, Arsenal always lie about their attendances. In fairness, I think that's more out of embarrassment that they can't sell out their ground that often.

8 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

That's quite common though, Arsenal always lie about their attendances. In fairness, I think that's more out of embarrassment that they can't sell out their ground that often.

Isn’t it something to do with the amount of tickets officially sold? So it’s not turnstile numbers persay?

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Isn’t it something to do with the amount of tickets officially sold? So it’s not turnstile numbers persay?

Yeah, you have a load of corporate tickets which are sold for a season etc and they often don't turn up at all. They are counting them. Arsenal are bad culprits for it, a lot of their fans are gimps from Hampstead who only go to football because it's a nice social event, so if it clashes with a cheese and wine festival they don't turn up. Hence the vast amount of empty seats at any given Arsenal game, except from the big ones.

I have more respect for Manchester City, their fanbse is still solidly Manchester based. It will take a while to grown.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Can they though? Unless City have to submit figures to them, I’m not sure how they can. I think Companies House may take an interest in this, as declaring dodgy accounts is punishable. 

"High-level sources say that will force the Premier League to act due to their own licensing, which pertains to Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations.

The issue comes because any club has to supply true information to get a Premier League licence, and that information will have had to have matched that supplied to Uefa.

It is understood Premier League committees had already discussed potential punishments on the provision that Uefa punished City, and a points deduction is now seen as highly likely."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-banned-champions-league-premier-points-uefa-fair-play-a9336946.html?fbclid=IwAR1I9To5fj928xMK3TBygqPJnQMo6J51MAr0b901rVQOxP_1Llj8sx5REHU

Archived