talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool - Tuesday 18th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Atletico aren't in amazing form but still one to not take lightly for Liverpool. They didn't look fantastic against Norwich but got the required result. This should be a good game but hoping it's not super boring. 

Yeah this is the exact sort of side we tend to struggle against. And it's the CL... so league form really doesn't matter too much in terms of how any side will do.

Get an away goal and just keep it tight and I think that's a job well done. Obviously the better result... the better that is for us.

Have to disagree with everyone saying it's the "worst draw" for Liverpool. Maybe there is a style weakness that I'm missing here, but quite honestly Atletico aren't what they were. They are struggling in one of the weakest La Liga's of recent times. To add to that, Godin was a significant loss from the last year and while I believe Gimenez will be just as good at some point, I just don't think they are as solid as they were.

What I do agree with is a low scoring game in Spain, but yeah otherwise I expect Liverpool to win the tie.

I think it's imperative that we get an away goal tomorrow. We can do it but should be careful to letting them dictate the game.

Hopefully he doesn't go too hard on Mane. He's critical to be brought back from injury safely.

I'm a bit sad we're playing Atletico tbh. They're just not an interesting side at all so I don't expect I'll enjoy the game all that much.

16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Crazy that is. I thought they'd have played at the start of the season but then I remember that Gomez had a long-term injury at the time.

Yeah I think Gomez started v Norwich but then Matip was back in the side until he got injured. You obviously had Mane not starting the first game or two because he was coming back from the African Nations.

Liverpool should really do the job. Even if they lose 1-0 in Madrid, I think they could win by at least two goals at Anfield. Liverpool have been playing some excellent football this season and their dominance of the Premier League doesn't really surprise me given the level that they have been playing at. 

Liverpool have every chance of defending their Champions League title this season and I don't think that Atletico Madrid are the team that will stop them from potentially retaining their title.

9 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Surprised that a lot of people think it will be a 1 goal match. I can see there being quite a few goals to be honest!

I think there will be more than the single goal as well. Atletico still play the way they have for the last 10 years, but they are not as solid as they were. They will probably be cautious to start off with, because they won't want to concede that away goal. But I think eventually they will buckle and I can see Liverpool scoring at least 1 away goal. Liverpool are the superior side and at this stage of the competition, I will be very surprised if Liverpool lose this particular match. I think it will be a draw or a Liverpool win in today's game.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived