talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool - Tuesday 18th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Every time we play a Spanish side, I seem to find myself hating that side more than any other side we've faced that season. No wonder I can't stand La Liga.

This. Exactly this. I never watch La Liga cause of these antics, but when I have the misfortune of seeing a Spanish side in action I just end up loathing them. This Atlético team are horrible. The Spanish Burnley with money, they’ve got a result tonight but have been massively helped by some little fat midget bastard with a whistle. 

• Subscriber

As shit as that was I am glad its only one goal. We can turn this around at Anfield and I think its all Klopp is going to think about till the day comes. We just didn't take it to them and essentially gifted them the only goal of the game. 

Well, rule #2 of playing in Europe is keep the away leg tight. Being 1-0 down isn't insurmountable, as we saw last season while being 3-0 down, but it's obviously not ideal.

If we just follow through with rule #1 (win your home games), we should be alright.

Awful match though. Irritating opponent and a referee that should be prohibited from reproducing for the good of society.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Every time we play a Spanish side, I seem to find myself hating that side more than any other side we've faced that season. No wonder I can't stand La Liga.

Sevilla. I don't even think any of the other teams we've played including the one tonight rub me the wrong way as much as that side.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Sevilla. I don't even think any of the other teams we've played including the one tonight rub me the wrong way as much as that side.

Sevilla are dirty bastards like Atletico, but they actually attempt to play football from time to time. Atletico are just an expensive Burnley, except Burnley players tend to not go down at every touch whereas Atletico players look like any time they're touched they've been hit by a car.

• Administrator
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sevilla are dirty bastards like Atletico, but they actually attempt to play football from time to time. Atletico are just an expensive Burnley, except Burnley players tend to not go down at every touch whereas Atletico players look like any time they're touched they've been hit by a car.

Burnley just hack a lot then their manager complains about decisions going the other way. 

A 1-0 loss is never a great result, but if Liverpool play to their potential in the second leg, they have to still be the favorites to advance. A couple of examples of Atletico's away results last season in the Champions League:

Dortmund 4-0 Atletico Madrid

Juventus 3-0 Atletico Madrid

I think Liverpool are more than capable of winning by at least a two goal margin, if they perform like we know they can at Anfield. They can expect Atletico to park the bus, but Liverpool should find the breakthrough and hopefully advance.

We've also faced that Sevilla side a few times but they were never as annoying as this. Atletico wouldn't be out of place in a South American league when it comes to shithousery.

Liverpool can't go blameless in this though. Klopp should have known the type of game this would be and found a way to go around it. The final score is all that matters and honestly it would be embarrassing if they went out to this Atletico side when they are so much better. No shots on target is dog shit. No excuses.

I like Origi, he’s scored big goals for us in the past, but unless he is possessed (like against Barca) he really struggles to offer much in the side. He’s a big lad, but isn’t great at holding the ball up. Has pace, but rarely does he use it. He just sort of floats about. He’s useful in the last ten mins when defenders are tired, but today just showed again that he can’t be relied upon. We need better off the bench.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Rick said:

Oh I have full faith in us advancing past them. At Anfield they won’t have their fans to influence a weak ref into blowing his whistle every five seconds. 

At Anfield I reckon we slap them. 

Not being weird or anything but would Liverpool fans not do the same? In fact don't all home fans do that, at any club?! 

It's the players that should get the brunt of the annoyance. Literally all Spanish teams seem to learn from young age that any contact should be met with a fall then it just becomes second nature to them as they grow and play in senior teams later on. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

I like Origi, he’s scored big goals for us in the past, but unless he is possessed (like against Barca) he really struggles to offer much in the side. He’s a big lad, but isn’t great at holding the ball up. Has pace, but rarely does he use it. He just sort of floats about. He’s useful in the last ten mins when defenders are tired, but today just showed again that he can’t be relied upon. We need better off the bench.

He'll always be a cult hero for us because of what he did last year and how he sort of saved his LFC career against Everton, when the last time he looked good for us was ended by a really shit injury while playing Everton. And I think he'll have a role for us as a squad player for a few seasons to come. But I genuinely hate when he plays out wide and I always think it's not playing to his strengths and always isn't great for us. I think we need overall better depth for our front 3 if we want to be able to compete in the CL and also maintain our standards we've been maintaining in the league.

It's very frustrating though that we started the game looking asleep defensively. Because if you take that first 6 minutes out, Atletico weren't really up to much. And yeah, we had no shots on target - which, quite frankly, is abysmal... but we also had at least 2 penalty shouts that should have been given (that handball, that challenge on Ox).

My biggest grievance with this match wasn't how Atletico played. They're who they've been for the last decade - we knew how they were going to set themselves up to play. My biggest grievance was entirely with the ref, that's got to be one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen in a long time. And I mostly watch English football, so it's not like I'm seeing great refereeing week in week out - I see shite English refs constantly. And they are all miles better than the dumb cunt who was out there today, he maybe got about 10% of the decisions correct.

It's our fault for not upping our performance against a side that's probably the best in the world at not playing football. But it is made much harder when there's absolutely no flow to the match because any time someone gets near an Atletico Madrid player, they fall to the ground and the referee stops play. Might as well have had Ray Charles as the referee.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Not being weird or anything but would Liverpool fans not do the same? In fact don't all home fans do that, at any club?! 

It's the players that should get the brunt of the annoyance. Literally all Spanish teams seem to learn from young age that any contact should be met with a fall then it just becomes second nature to them as they grow and play in senior teams later on. 

I'd blame the ref in these instances. Fans are going to try to influence the ref, because they're fans and they want their team to win with any advantage they can get. It's the ref's job to be a fair an impartial official.

Today he was so poor, I find it hard to even blame the Atletico players for doing what they did as much as they did. When this guy showed them that they would be able to con him all night, they said "okay, we'll do that." The ref's got to be able to withstand pressure from the home fans in big matches, otherwise they should be leaving that to an official who's not going to be influenced by the crowd.

The ref was absolutely shite. The worst one was where their player kicks Fabinho then goes down and the ref stops play because their player is rolling around

Feels weird losing a game of football xD but I'm looking forward to the second leg

• The topic was unpinned

Archived