talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Clemens Fritz to retire at the end of the season

• Subscriber

Werder Bremen captain Clemens Fritz will retire at the end of the current campaign.

The 36-year-old midfielder, who suffered a season-ending ankle ligament tear in March, has been on the Bremen books for almost 11 years.

"Since getting injured, I've given my future a lot of thought and listened to what my body has had to say," Fritz told the official Werder website on Monday. "Unfortunately I've experienced significant problems with my ankle that I haven't encountered before. Despite all the will in the world on my part, the injury means I am unable to resume my career as a sportsman with 100 per cent fitness. The fact the club have turned a corner on the pitch in the meantime allowed me to make the decision with a clear conscience. It was always a real honour to wear the Werder shirt."

The midfielder had initially planned to hang up his boots at the end of last season, only to perform a U-turn on his decision in light of the club's below-par performance in 2015/16.

Fritz joined Bremen from Bayer Leverkusen in summer 2006, and was handed the captain's armband in 2011. He made 368 appearances for the Green-Whites in all competitions, including 288 in the Bundesliga. The Erfurt native lifted the DFB Cup and reached the final of the now defunct UEFA Cup in 2009.

"In recent years, Clemans Fritz was the heart and soul of the team and a positive role model for SV Werder, so obviously we're disappointed about his decision," admitted Bremen general manager Frank Baumann. "He'll get another contract, though, and we'll continue to work with Clemens, making use of his experience, commitment and knowledge. When exactly and in what role, we'll decide on in the coming months."

Source: https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/bremen-s-clemens-fritz-to-retire-at-the-end-of-the-season-443570.jsp

All the best, Captain! 

A wise decision, too. He's quitting now at a point where the club seems to be on the right track, so it's a good time to finish his  active career and take up new responsibilities.

Definitely deserves a farewell match though.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
On 5/9/2017 at 5:25 AM, Tanksie said:

Bout fucking time, been shite for the better part of 6 seasons, with a handful of decent games here and there.

Wonderful servant to the club though. Much respect.

Not to nitpick but that doesnt sound like much respect xD

22 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

It's Tanksie mimicking human emotions. You have to give him credit for that. 

Anyway, Fritz had a good career, and it's the right time to go. I'm sure he'll work for Werder in some other role. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Anyway, Fritz had a good career, and it's the right time to go. I'm sure he'll work for Werder in some other role. 

Yep, he's going to take a break now to spend time with his family, and then return as a trainee.

4 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Much respect for the 5 or 6 good years. He also didn't whinge when rightfully benched.

4 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

It's Tanksie mimicking human emotions. You have to give him credit for that. 

I have at least 2 real emotions I'll have you know

Archived