talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Paris Saint-Germain - Tuesday 18th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Verratti and yellow cards: a love relationship.

Yes, PSG have had 4 bookings this evening compared to Dortmund's 1 yellow card. I think the second leg might be an even more aggressive affair with so much at stake.

Well, it's finished 2-1 to Dortmund and Haaland has again scored twice. Haaland has scored more goals for Dortmund, than he has had appearances for them.

But that 2nd goal that he scored sums him up as a player, give him an inch and he will punish you, even if it is half a chance. The lad is as lethal as it gets in front of goal and he is just a joy to watch. 

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well, it's finished 2-1 to Dortmund and Haaland has again scored twice. Haaland has scored more goals for Dortmund, than he has had appearances for them.

But that 2nd goal that he scored sums him up as a player, give him an inch and he will punish you, even if it is half a chance. The lad is as lethal as it gets in front of goal and he is just a joy to watch. 

In comparison to Mbappe, as I see the 2 compared often for their renaissance in the game but Mbappe is more Ronaldo Nazario and Haaland is more Romario.

7 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

In comparison to Mbappe, as I see the 2 compared often for their renaissance in the game but Mbappe is more Ronaldo Nazario and Haaland is more Romario.

Yes, that is true. They would actually be a great partnership, Mbappe and Haaland. I think that their styles would compliment each other.

Haaland continues to prove he isn’t just a flash in the pan. This kid is the real deal, absolutely lethal in front of goals. Dortmund paid, what? 20m? They are laughing their tits off with him and Sancho now. 

21 minutes ago, Rick said:

Haaland continues to prove he isn’t just a flash in the pan. This kid is the real deal, absolutely lethal in front of goals. Dortmund paid, what? 20m? They are laughing their tits off with him and Sancho now. 

Yes, I think we could see a while back that this kid is the real deal. You can't miss his presence on the pitch and his constant goal threat.

It's true that Dortmund only paid 20 million for Haaland's transfer fee, but in reality, he cost them a lot more than that. They also paid his agent Mino Raiola 15 million in commission. They had to pay an extra 10 million to Erling's father, Alf-Inge Haaland and on top of that, Erling Haaland is earning wages of 8 million a year at Dortmund. Raiola was also adamant that Erling have a release clause inserted in his contract and the release clause stands at 70 million according to most trustworthy reports. This release clause might seem massive to some, but in today's day an age, a player like Haaland, easily has a transfer market value of above 100 million.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's just a shame that PSG got an away goal. 

Yes, it leaves this tie still very much open. But at least Dortmund can likely look forward to having Brandt and Reus back for the 2nd leg. The 2nd leg should be an insane contest.

3 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Are BVB fans really copying Liverpool in singing YNWA? :rofl:

Can you get any more tinpot.

Huh? Many supporters all around the world sing it. Didn't Celtic actually start with it? Not sure. Although I do find it strange when German clubs sing it, where like 70% of the supporters don't even speak English. 

Anyway, watched the match with a friend who is a BVB fan. Decent watch. Dortmund should or could have scored 1-2 more in the times when they were the superior team, but PSG always had a few moments where they looked seriously threatening. 

Haaland is just out of this world. His first goal was one where not everyone would have had the instinct to say "on it", and when he scored the 2nd one, I thought he destroyed the net. What a bazooka. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Yeah cracking second goal. I imagine Dortmund will be offering him a new contract pretty soon with an updated release clause North of 150m.

If they could actually do that, he would be well worth the investment. Haaland is a game changer, he's a priceless forward.

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Huh? Many supporters all around the world sing it. Didn't Celtic actually start with it? Not sure. Although I do find it strange when German clubs sing it, where like 70% of the supporters don't even speak English. 

Anyway, watched the match with a friend who is a BVB fan. Decent watch. Dortmund should or could have scored 1-2 more in the times when they were the superior team, but PSG always had a few moments where they looked seriously threatening. 

Haaland is just out of this world. His first goal was one where not everyone would have had the instinct to say "on it", and when he scored the 2nd one, I thought he destroyed the net. What a bazooka. 

There are a number of British songs and anthems that are sung at German football grounds.

FC Koln fans sing "The Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomand"  when Koln play, except they sing it passionately in German. I love listening to that song at a football ground, be it in English or German. It really gets you fired up for a match! xD

• Subscriber

Whoever was sleeping when this kid was on United's radar needs to be fired, what a second goal by Haaland. I watched highlights and didn't think PSG looked all that great in this one. Maybe they should come to terms with the fact that they are never going to a CL Final until something drastically changes in their approach to these games.

11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Whoever was sleeping when this kid was on United's radar needs to be fired, what a second goal by Haaland. I watched highlights and didn't think PSG looked all that great in this one. Maybe they should come to terms with the fact that they are never going to a CL Final until something drastically changes in their approach to these games.

To be fair, playing away to Dortmund is never an easy task, just look at what Dortmund did to Atletico Madrid last season, they destroyed them 4-0 in Germany. This seasons Dortmund team is arguably better, now that they have Haaland and of course Brandt on board.

I think the main reason that Man Utd were put off buying Haaland, was because they didn't want a transfer release clause inserted in his contract, well they didn't want it to be as low as 70 million euros at least. But Haaland's agent Raiola, was demanding that the release clause be inserted in the contract. Dortmund agreed to it, but United weren't willing to agree to such a deal.

Either way, I still think that Dortmund are the winners here, despite the fact they are paying Haaland 8 million a season in wages, despite the fact they had to pay Raiola 15 million, despite the fact they had to pay Alf-Inge Haaland 10 million, despite the fact that they paid 20 million for the transfer fee and despite the fact that they agreed to the 70 million release clause. Why? Because Haaland is simply world class and he has taken them to that elite level. He is just the player they were lacking.

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

I thought you were a BVB fan.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Michael said:

To be fair, playing away to Dortmund is never an easy task, just look at what Dortmund did to Atletico Madrid last season, they destroyed them 4-0 in Germany. This seasons Dortmund team is arguably better, now that they have Haaland and of course Brandt on board.

I think the main reason that Man Utd were put off buying Haaland, was because they didn't want a transfer release clause inserted in his contract, well they didn't want it to be as low as 70 million euros at least. But Haaland's agent Raiola, was demanding that the release clause be inserted in the contract. Dortmund agreed to it, but United weren't willing to agree to such a deal.

Either way, I still think that Dortmund are the winners here, despite the fact they are paying Haaland 8 million a season in wages, despite the fact they had to pay Raiola 15 million, despite the fact they had to pay Alf-Inge Haaland 10 million, despite the fact that they paid 20 million for the transfer fee and despite the fact that they agreed to the 70 million release clause. Why? Because Haaland is simply world class and he has taken them to that elite level. He is just the player they were lacking.

What surprises me about the payment and the release clause statement is that not a lot of clubs were going to take him on-board considering the fact that he had proven how good he was. If you're a club serious about getting an out-and-out striker this was the player that you wanted to get in the winter. I don't think he'll be at Dortmund for long and will be offered some ludicrous money in the summer which Raiola will jump on if any of the big clubs come asking for his services. 70 million is peanuts for the ROI hes going to give you on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

What surprises me about the payment and the release clause statement is that not a lot of clubs were going to take him on-board considering the fact that he had proven how good he was. If you're a club serious about getting an out-and-out striker this was the player that you wanted to get in the winter. I don't think he'll be at Dortmund for long and will be offered some ludicrous money in the summer which Raiola will jump on if any of the big clubs come asking for his services. 70 million is peanuts for the ROI hes going to give you on the pitch. 

I think that because he played in the Austrian League week in week out, it made a lot of clubs cautious. The interest in him would have mainly come with his performances in the Champions League, the Europa League and for Norway. But because he wasn't playing in one of the big leagues, I think that put a few clubs off. That release clause would have put them off as well, as the big clubs usually buy players to keep long term, especially when they are going to be spending a lot of money.

No doubt the elite clubs will all be after Haaland this summer. He's shown his class in the Bundesliga and yesterday against PSG. Actually his release clause is 75 million euros(£70 million), my mistake, but still that is more than affordable for most of the elite clubs. You are right about Raiola, it's all about money with him. I can see Haaland maybe wanting to stay at Dortmund for at least another year, but if Raiola gets greedy, he may well persuade the young Norwegian to make a transfer move this summer.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived