talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Paris Saint-Germain - Tuesday 18th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Huh? Many supporters all around the world sing it. Didn't Celtic actually start with it? Not sure. Although I do find it strange when German clubs sing it, where like 70% of the supporters don't even speak English. 

Anyway, watched the match with a friend who is a BVB fan. Decent watch. Dortmund should or could have scored 1-2 more in the times when they were the superior team, but PSG always had a few moments where they looked seriously threatening. 

Haaland is just out of this world. His first goal was one where not everyone would have had the instinct to say "on it", and when he scored the 2nd one, I thought he destroyed the net. What a bazooka. 

No Liverpool started it. Complete myth that Celtic started it. Liverpool song by a Liverpool band (well the version that is sung is).

• The topic was unpinned
1 hour ago, God is Haaland said:

Never doubted it for a single second.

Btw with Brandt instead of Hazard plaing next to him, Haaland would have scored 6 goals.

Steady on, hold your horses! We don't play in theory games on here. xD

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Michael said:

I think that because he played in the Austrian League week in week out, it made a lot of clubs cautious. The interest in him would have mainly come with his performances in the Champions League, the Europa League and for Norway. But because he wasn't playing in one of the big leagues, I think that put a few clubs off. That release clause would have put them off as well, as the big clubs usually buy players to keep long term, especially when they are going to be spending a lot of money.

No doubt the elite clubs will all be after Haaland this summer. He's shown his class in the Bundesliga and yesterday against PSG. Actually his release clause is 75 million euros(£70 million), my mistake, but still that is more than affordable for most of the elite clubs. You are right about Raiola, it's all about money with him. I can see Haaland maybe wanting to stay at Dortmund for at least another year, but if Raiola gets greedy, he may well persuade the young Norwegian to make a transfer move this summer.

Austrian league or not - he was on the radar of many clubs and could have easily joined any of them; choosing BVB was definitely not because of the lack of other options. As for Manchester United, Solksjaer and Woodward came to Salzburg in December to meet him but in the end he made a U-turn and decided to join BVB. I have no doubts that Raiola was a big part of that decision though as United apparently tried to cut him out of the deal haha. 

Luckily for Dortmund the release clause is not active until 2021 so even if he or Raiola tried to force a transfer, BVB would be able to ask for much more than 75 million. 

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

Austrian league or not - he was on the radar of many clubs and could have easily joined any of them; choosing BVB was definitely not because of the lack of other options. As for Manchester United, Solksjaer and Woodward came to Salzburg in December to meet him but in the end he made a U-turn and decided to join BVB. I have no doubts that Raiola was a big part of that decision though as United apparently tried to cut him out of the deal haha. 

Luckily for Dortmund the release clause is not active until 2021 so even if he or Raiola tried to force a transfer, BVB would be able to ask for much more than 75 million. 

I know he was on the radar of many clubs, no doubt about that. But my point is that the other clubs, such as Man Utd, were put off by the release clause that Raiola wanted inserted in the contract. If I remember correctly, Man Utd, RB Leipzig, Dortmund and another club(I forget who they were exactly) were the front runners to his signature. But I think that both Raiola and Haaland saw Dortmund as the best move for him. First of all because he would be guaranteed first team football, but also because Dortmund agreed to the release clause, which would ensure a huge transfer for Haaland in the not too distant future. A huge transfer that would net Raiola another huge pay check.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Michael said:

I know he was on the radar of many clubs, no doubt about that. But my point is that the other clubs, such as Man Utd, were put off by the release clause that Raiola wanted inserted in the contract. If I remember correctly, Man Utd, RB Leipzig, Dortmund and another club(I forget who they were exactly) were the front runners to his signature. But I think that both Raiola and Haaland saw Dortmund as the best move for him. First of all because he would be guaranteed first team football, but also because Dortmund agreed to the release clause, which would ensure a huge transfer for Haaland in the not too distant future. A huge transfer that would net Raiola another huge pay check.

Juventus. That was really my point; I don't think him playing in the Austrian league had made any clubs cautious as he had enough clubs wanting to sign him.

Yeah Raiola/Haaland wanted a 50m release clause initially but BVB managed to negotiate it up to 75m. His wage requirements and agent fees might have put a few clubs off the potential transfer but I don't believe that any of those linked with him would have voluntarily missed the opportunity to sign him for meager 20m. United transfer falling though is understandable as they have an ongoing beef with Raiola so it could well be that they never even stood a chance for that reason alone. 

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

Juventus. That was really my point; I don't think him playing in the Austrian league had made any clubs cautious as he had enough clubs wanting to sign him.

Yeah Raiola/Haaland wanted a 50m release clause initially but BVB managed to negotiate it up to 75m. His wage requirements and agent fees might have put a few clubs off the potential transfer but I don't believe that any of those linked with him would have voluntarily missed the opportunity to sign him for meager 20m. United transfer falling though is understandable as they have an ongoing beef Raiola so it could well be that they never even stood a chance for that reason alone. 

Yes, that's right, Juventus. But my point is why weren't there more clubs after him? Most people can probably see that he is the best striker in the world right now. But where were the Real Madrid's, Barcelona's , the Liverpool's, the Man City's, the Chelsea's, the PSG's when he was available for 20 million euros while he was at Salzburg? Why didn't any one of them at least put a bid in? You can guarantee that if Haaland was available for 20 million euros(plus agent fees) this summer, that most of these clubs would be queuing up to snap him up. 

It's true that Man Utd have had previous beef(yes, not turkey) with Raiola. But I did read a number of times and from reliable sources, that the release clause was a big issue for them. In the end, I think Raiola(more for business reasons) and Haaland(sporting reasons) saw Dortmund as the next best step in his career. At Dortmund they knew Haaland would be getting guaranteed first team football, at a top club who are in the Champions League. Also Dortmund's good reputation with developing young players, wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Michael said:

Yes, that's right, Juventus. But my point is why weren't there more clubs after him? Most people can probably see that he is the best striker in the world right now. But where were the Real Madrid's, Barcelona's , the Liverpool's, the Man City's, the Chelsea's, the PSG's when he was available for 20 million euros when he was at Salzburg? Why didn't any one of them at least put a bid in? You can guarantee that if Haaland was available for 20 million euros(plus agent fees) this summer, that most of these clubs would be queuing up to snap him up. 

It's true that Man Utd have had previous beef(yes, not turkey) with Raiola. But I did read a number of times and from reliable sources, that the release clause was a big issue for them. In the end, I think Raiola(more for business reasons) and Haaland(sporting reasons) saw Dortmund as the next best step in his career. At Dortmund they knew Haaland would be getting guaranteed first team football, at a top club who are in the Champions League. Also Dortmund's good reputation with developing young players, wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

Well I think we don't really know which clubs he had talks with (or even which ones put an official bid in). I remember he was being linked with pretty much every bigg-ish club since last autumn; Real Madrid and Barcelona were definitely among them too (it was reported by Austrian media that around 50 scouts were watching him during Salzburg's CL games and I think after his performances both in the domestic league and in the CL it's safe to assume that just about every top club was watching him). It's just that as always with transfer rumours; it's pretty much impossible to know if there's any substantial truth to it though. Out of interest I just had a quick glance at the archive of transfermarkt's "rumour mill"  to see the list of clubs that were being linked with him at some point since last year:

vTpkrJ2.png

https://www.transfermarkt.de/erling-haaland/geruechte/spieler/418560

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well I think we don't really know which clubs he had talks with (or even which ones put an official bid in). I remember he was being linked with pretty much every bigg-ish club since last autumn; Real Madrid and Barcelona were definitely among them too (it was reported by Austrian media that around 50 scouts were watching him during Salzburg's CL games and I think after his performances both in the domestic league and in the CL it's safe to assume that just about every top club was watching him). It's just that as always with transfer rumours; it's pretty much impossible to know if there's any substantial truth to it though. Out of interest I just had a quick glance at the archive of transfermarkt's "rumour mill"  to see the list of clubs that were being linked with him at some point since last year:

vTpkrJ2.png

Juventus Turin
AC Mailand
SSC Neapel

Is this a screenshot from Pro Evo?

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Juventus Turin
AC Mailand
SSC Neapel

Is this a screenshot from Pro Evo?

xD It's similar to how you turn München into Munich, Köln into Cologne, Luzern to Lucerne, or Bodensee to Lake Constance O.o  :P 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

vTpkrJ2.png

Haha so you use that site as well. I like it because it's very up to date.

But I think that there is a difference between showing an interest and actually putting a bid in. When clubs place bids, that is genuine and serious interest shown by them. I think that most of the time we are told when bids have been placed for players. But yeah, maybe on a few occasions perhaps not, who knows. Also like you said, a lot of the time, transfer rumours are hard to verify. There have been many times when the press have just made stories up, linking players to certain clubs and the clubs have had to come out to deny such rumours.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

xD It's similar to how you turn München into Munich, Köln into Cologne, Luzern to Lucerne, or Bodensee to Lake Constance O.o  :P 

Yes, well that's because English is the Global Language!:24_stuck_out_tongue::D

At least we didn't mess with Hellschen-Heringsand-Unterschaar.

Archived