The better place to talk football.

Leicester 0-1 Man City - Saturday 22nd February, 2020

football forum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Stan said:

What are you on about?

He literally lifts his hand to block the ball. Outside of body or not is not a thing. His hands were in an unnatural position. End of.

I completely agree with you. I haven't seen this particular situation but from the sounds of it it's the same situation as the penalty given in Bolivia vs Peru where Zambrano used his hand to block his face.

If you're going to play football, you need to expect to get hurt. Blocking the ball with your hand because it's "natural reaction" to block your face is not an excuse and should be a penalty. When it happened against us where Bolivia got a penalty, I was shocked at the amount of people who said it wasn't a penalty because of natural reaction. 

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Actually according to match of the day it is

Match of the day don't make the rules my man.

The handball rules are a mess, but you can't lift your hand to stop the ball in most instances. If natural reaction is actually a thing, then that's a serious flaw in the game that needs to be corrected.

1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Match of the day don't make the rules my man.

The handball rules are a mess, but you can't lift your hand to stop the ball in most instances. If natural reaction is actually a thing, then that's a serious flaw in the game that needs to be corrected.

You are not making your body bigger though by protecting your face. It's pretty complicated actually. The rule says it's a penalty if it is deliberate handball. But in reality a player probably hardly ever deliberately handballs it. It is generally interpreted that if a player makes himself bigger and gains an advantage it is given as handball. Therefore by protecting your face it isn't handball. Bare in mind I've spent about ten minutes looking and I'm not sure so I don't think any of us can say for sure weather it is or isn't. Personally I'm gonna see what they say on ref watch tomorrow

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You are not making your body bigger though by protecting your face. It's pretty complicated actually. The rule says it's a penalty if it is deliberate handball. But in reality a player probably hardly ever deliberately handballs it. It is generally interpreted that if a player makes himself bigger and gains an advantage it is given as handball. Therefore by protecting your face it isn't handball. Bare in mind I've spent about ten minutes looking and I'm not sure so I don't think any of us can say for sure weather it is or isn't. Personally I'm gonna see what they say on ref watch tomorrow

Blocking your face with your arm tight to your body is also a perfectly natural position.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Stan said:

Protecting your face is not an excuse to stop handball being given xD

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Actually according to match of the day it is

I'd rather take the opinion of a referee that knows the rules as opposed to MOTD pundits :D

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Still shots don't do it justice. The hands might be up there to protect the face but he actually turns his body to the side slightly so it was never going to hit his face. Absolutely handball.

100% agreed. Don't be in the wall if you don't want to get hit. 

6 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Still shots don't do it justice. The hands might be up there to protect the face but he actually turns his body to the side slightly so it was never going to hit his face. Absolutely handball.

This is how I remember it, too. But I didn't post it yesterday, because I wasn't able to find video evidence.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I'd rather take the opinion of a referee that knows the rules as opposed to MOTD pundits :D

That I agree with. Like I said I always trust professional referees over the untrained eye. So at the moment I will say you are right. Although it will be interesting to see what they say on ref watch. If they disagree it shows that maybe there are different interpretations of it that need clearing up

• Subscriber

The more I look back at that officiating display the more I think the whole thing's just beyond analysis. Even their goal's offside based on some angles I've seen today yet they've analysed the wrong one.

I'm amazed people are watching this and thinking it's squeaky clean - this is an industry with people working within it that have it in their interests for the biggest clubs to make the biggest competitions and they effectively admit as much. Ever since reading stuff like that I've thought with the way games are officiated, the lack of scrutiny about it in general that it's very easy to fix results and after some of the utter bollocks I've seen this season, week in, week out I'm more and more worried that this is in-fact the case.

There's simply no way anyone can sit there and say that was officiated properly. I can't even go too hard on our players after that yesterday (though their goal was a pathetic attempt at defending).

Losing interest by the week. Not convinced any of it is legit.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Yeah the still shots make it look like he was protecting his face but having just seen it on Match of the Day, the ball was going across his body and I think it should have been handball, I can't really see why it wasn't.

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

The more I look back at that officiating display the more I think the whole thing's just beyond analysis. Even their goal's offside based on some angles I've seen today yet they've analysed the wrong one.

I'm amazed people are watching this and thinking it's squeaky clean - this is an industry with people working within it that have it in their interests for the biggest clubs to make the biggest competitions and they effectively admit as much. Ever since reading stuff like that I've thought with the way games are officiated, the lack of scrutiny about it in general that it's very easy to fix results and after some of the utter bollocks I've seen this season, week in, week out I'm more and more worried that this is in-fact the case.

There's simply no way anyone can sit there and say that was officiated properly. I can't even go too hard on our players after that yesterday (though their goal was a pathetic attempt at defending).

Losing interest by the week. Not convinced any of it is legit.

I think your calls of 'fix' are way wide of the mark but the offside thing is something I picked up on. With these tight calls they seem to be trying to be so precise with the lines but when it comes to judging the moment the ball is actually released they don't seem to scrutinise it closely enough. The original replay before they showed the VAR check made it look like Jesus might have been just off or certainly at least much closer than the replay they showed for the actual check. It's just incompetence, don't really need to go down the route of claiming everything is fixed

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

I think your calls of 'fix' are way wide of the mark but the offside thing is something I picked up on. With these tight calls they seem to be trying to be so precise with the lines but when it comes to judging the moment the ball is actually released they don't seem to scrutinise it closely enough. The original replay before they showed the VAR check made it look like Jesus might have been just off or certainly at least much closer than the replay they showed got the actual check. It's just incompetence, don't really need to go down the route of claiming everything is fixed

I can't prove it's fixed but I also don't think people can prove it isn't, so I'll leave it open, I'm happy enough for people to think I'm talking shite on it but it's all a bit convenient.

You are right about offsides - there have got to be some serious changes next season of some form, there's no way it can go on like this.

On 23/02/2020 at 09:57, Stan said:

That I agree with. Like I said I always trust professional referees over the untrained eye. So at the moment I will say you are right. Although it will be interesting to see what they say on ref watch. If they disagree it shows that maybe there are different interpretations of it that need clearing up

Just watched refwatch. It was a penalty. Although it does appear as if players can protect their face. The issue is de bruyne turns away from the ball therefore he is widening his body and it handball for that reason. If he had just protected his face it wouldn't be.

Archived