talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 3-2 West Ham - Monday 24th February, 2020

football forum

Just now, Stan said:

but you should probably score some, at least at home.

Do you really think he's better than Aguero & Aubameyang & Vardy?

I mean for our system, I'd have maybe Aguero ahead of him - but not the other two. Maybe Aubameyang when he was younger, because we know he worked well in a Klopp system then, but I question whether he could fill the same role for us that Firmino does. What Firmino does is get you around 10-15 goals a season... while helping our widemen get around 20 goals a season.

He's brilliant. Definitely not a traditional striker, by any stretch of imagination, but a brilliant one.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stan said:

but you should probably score some, at least at home.

Do you really think he's better than Aguero & Aubameyang & Vardy?

I don't know if Firmino is better or vice versa.

All I know is that you don't need 20 goals to be the best striker in the league. Scoring is important as a striker without a doubt, but you can offer a lot of other important things without it.

I know this from watching Paolo Guerrero a lot. So I understand why Liverpool fans would highly rate Firmino even though I've seen him more for Brazil than for Liverpool.

My opinion if you want to be the best striker in the league, you at least need to score 10 with more offerings on the pitch.

Anyways I wasn't so much talking about Firmino himself. Just that goals aren't everything even in the position that you need them most. Aguero was rated higher than Higuain for the longest time but the latter scored much more in certain seasons than the former (not sure about totals).

• Administrator

Don't get me wrong lads, I love Firmino and how he plays. Definitely suits your system. 

It's like saying Okazaki was the best striker in the league when we won it. He worked hard, chipped in with the odd goal and helped Vardy bang in loads. Was he best striker in the league? No. Was he effective in the team? Yes. 

But still not having that he's the best striker in the league. 

Just now, Stan said:

Don't get me wrong lads, I love Firmino and how he plays. Definitely suits your system. 

It's like saying Okazaki was the best striker in the league when we won it. He worked hard, chipped in with the odd goal and helped Vardy bang in loads. Was he best striker in the league? No. Was he effective in the team? Yes. 

No one calls him a striker though do they? xD he basically has his own position. There's no one like him

Just now, Stan said:

Our attack is basically built around Firmino and what he does though - I don't think that's really the case with Okazaki.

I also don't think he's the best striker in the league. But he's not some bang average guy we've got just leading the line - there's a reason he's starting for this Liverpool side that's shitting all over the league.

Kane or Aguero are the best strikers in the league though.

Just now, Stan said:

But what do you prefer? A striker with insane amounts of talent and no effectiveness or vice versa?

For what its worth the bits I've seen of Firmino in the PL, he does a great job without needing to score. Take that with a grain of salt if you will but many great strikers that are now goalscorers in their leagues didn't get past the 20 mark. Pizarro is the first example that comes to mind.

What about when Guiza got more goals in La Liga than Van Nistelrooy or Forlan?

1 minute ago, Machado said:

Do we consider Firmino a striker? He's a forward for sure but not a striker. Doesn't play like one and would be a waste if he did.

I think striker's just become a synonym for "central forward" nowadays - even if yeah... there's a difference between a forward/striker. But yeah, he's more of a forward - 100%.

2 minutes ago, Machado said:

Do we consider Firmino a striker? He's a forward for sure but not a striker. Doesn't play like one and would be a waste if he did.

Just because he doesn't play like one, doesn't mean he isn't. In that case Klopp would play strikerless.

I'm under the impression he's been transformed into one.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But he's not some bang average guy we've got just leading the line

I know mate. Think some people have taken it to the extreme and thought I'd called Firmino shit. 

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Hope we win the title at either Anfield, Goodison or the Etihad. I think any of those are possibilities? 

If we win every single game in the league for the next four we'll win it when we play Palace?

Players like Firmino/Guerrero that are great at what they do in everything and get a fair share of goals but never become the top goalscorers will never be as good as the completeness of Luis Suarez or prime Sergio Aguero.

However, those are rare breeds. You will not very often find a striker that scores 40-50 goals a season in all competitions and does all of the above too. I think it's fair to call them elite and amongst the best depending on their influence.

Poacher-like players such as prime Higuain and now the upcoming Haaland can also be considered top players because they score a shitload of goals. They do their job. All players have different functions though even in similar positions.

• The title was changed to Liverpool 3-2 West Ham - Monday 24th February, 2020
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Hope we win the title at either Anfield, Goodison or the Etihad. I think any of those are possibilities? 

Yeah Palace at Anfield but only if we don't go through in the FA Cup. If we do then City is the next game after that

• The topic was unpinned

Archived