• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 22-23rd February, 2020

football forum

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Just seen the highlights of Burnley - Bournemouth, specifically the VAR decisions. What is even the point of watching? The Billing "handball" he knows nothing about and was a matter of millimetres away from it being his shoulder anyway. The one they got the penalty for probably is handball, although it's close to being on the shoulder again, but then to disallow a goal to go back and give a penalty just can't be right surely. If they've decided that was handball they could have pulled the game back before Bournemouth scored on the break. Just feels like manufactured drama which fans hate.

That said I'm watching the Six Nations rugby as I'm typing this and England just scored a try which had to be checked by their version of VAR for about two full minutes and the crowd don't seem to care about waiting, still celebrated the try when it was initially scored. Is the difference that you can hear the referee's discussion with the video ref? I don't know.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Is the difference that you can hear the referee's discussion with the video ref?

Have long advocated for this to be the case, way before VAR in football was even in place.

The clarity it would give fans in the stadium would just mean there'd be more confidence, hopefully, in the decisions that are made. 

Plus I think they see the replays on the screen in rugby as well at the same time, no?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Have long advocated for this to be the case, way before VAR in football was even in place.

The clarity it would give fans in the stadium would just mean there'd be more confidence, hopefully, in the decisions that are made. 

Plus I think they see the replays on the screen in rugby as well at the same time, no?

I don't know. I think people try and argue that you'd get too much swearing down the microphones in football from the players, but the easy solution to that is to give out a straight red card and three match ban to anyone who does it and they'll soon find their self-restraint. I actually think they really don't want the microphone talk to be published because it'll give away how much confusion there is and how much even the referees don't really know what the rules are in different scenarios.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't know. I think people try and argue that you'd get too much swearing down the microphones in football from the players, but the easy solution to that is to give out a straight red card and three match ban to anyone who does it and they'll soon find their self-restraint. I actually think they really don't want the microphone talk to be published because it'll give away how much confusion there is and how much even the referees don't really know what the rules are in different scenarios.

Yep, if VAR hasn't revealed the ineptitude of some of them, then mic'ing them up definitely will!

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Not sure how much more glued to his fucking body the Watford players arm could possibly be. I'll say this much. If that's no goal then De Bruynes is a penalty. 

It should be a penalty regardless ;) 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived