talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Sudamericana 2020

football forum

Need a bit of a playground to update this. Gonna be talking to myself for the most part though.

First round is almost over. Here are the teams through so far.

Melgar (Peru)

Vasco da Gama (Brazil)

Coquimo Unido (Chile)

Emelec (Ecuador)

Union Santa Fe (Argentina)

Fenix (Uruguay)

Atletico Nacional (Colombia)

Sportivo Luqueño (Paraguay)

Velez Sarsfield (Argentina)

Millonarios (Colombia)

Still another week to play before the 2nd round.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Need a bit of a playground to update this. Gonna be talking to myself for the most part though.

First round is almost over. Here are the teams through so far.

Melgar (Peru)

Vasco da Gama (Brazil)

Coquimo Unido (Chile)

Emelec (Ecuador)

Union Santa Fe (Argentina)

Fenix (Uruguay)

Atletico Nacional (Colombia)

Sportivo Luqueño (Paraguay)

Velez Sarsfield (Argentina)

Millonarios (Colombia)

Still another week to play before the 2nd round.

Aren't the Brazilian and Argentinian clubs usually the favourites for these South American club competitions? Because I am sure that they have the 2 best leagues on the continent.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Aren't the Brazilian and Argentinian clubs usually the favourites for these South American club competitions? Because I am sure that they have the 2 best leagues on the continent.

Yeah they are always the favourites, but they dominate the Libertadores more than the Sudamericana. You should still probably expect an Argentinian or Brazilian to win this competition though. 

Keep in mind the current Sudamericana champion is an Ecuadorian. Their teams have really started bothering the top sides as of late. Emelec, Barcelona, Independiente del Valle and LDU Quito especially.

I don't have a favourite to win this competition yet, but I was impressed with Fenix in the first round. Very underrated side that many expect to just be lesser talented Uruguayans. Far from the truth, they are good and I expect them to go to quarters or semis. I also think Velez Sarsfield will get far.

3 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Yeah they are always the favourites, but they dominate the Libertadores more than the Sudamericana. You should still probably expect an Argentinian or Brazilian to win this competition though. 

Keep in mind the current Sudamericana champion is an Ecuadorian. Their teams have really started bothering the top sides as of late. Emelec, Barcelona, Independiente del Valle and LDU Quito especially.

I don't have a favourite to win this competition yet, but I was impressed with Fenix in the first round. Very underrated side that many expect to just be lesser talented Uruguayans. Far from the truth, they are good and I expect them to go to quarters or semis. I also think Velez Sarsfield will get far.

That's interesting to hear about Fenix having a good team, because traditionally, it's Penarol and Nacional who have been the two dominant forces in Uruguay. I think though in general, Uruguay have punched above their weight both at international level and at club level. For such a small nation, they do produce a hell of a lot of talented footballers.

17 hours ago, Michael said:

That's interesting to hear about Fenix having a good team, because traditionally, it's Penarol and Nacional who have been the two dominant forces in Uruguay. I think though in general, Uruguay have punched above their weight both at international level and at club level. For such a small nation, they do produce a hell of a lot of talented footballers.

There is the odd Uruguayan team not Peñarol or Nacional that builds a good side for a bit. Look at Defensor Sporting in 2014 and 2015. They had a really good side and overachieved, reaching Copa Libertadores semi-finals in 2014 and Sudamericana quarters in 2015.

They had players between that time such as Brian Lozano, Giorgian De Arrascaeta, Martin Campaña, Mauro Arambarri, Mauricio Lemos, and Gaston Silva. Of those I mentioned, they would either go on to play in Europe (Arambarri, Lemos, and Silva) the others would go on and become the best players in a certain league (Lozano, De Arrascaeta, Campaña).

River Plate (Uruguay) 1-0 Atletico Grau (3-1)

River Plate (Paraguay) 1-3 Deportivo Cali (5-2)

Goias 0-1 Sol de America (0-2)

Sport Huancayo 0-0 Argentinos Jrs (1-1)

River Plate of Uruguay, Deportivo Cali, Sol de America and Sport Huancayo all progress to the next round.

1236e6fdb587b6de4a6fa626f52b2b18.png

Archived