talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 0-3 Bayern Munich - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I agree with you there in bold but for the first two goals they were a result of Dave getting caught out. Rudiger has to make a decision either attack the ball or let him have a free chance at goal. 

Rudiger is the type of player that makes a lot of mistakes that go a miss to most people. He was all over the place first half, his physical attributes and personality in a physical and fast league cover up a lot of his flaws. Ironically though he’s not even good in the air.

Christensen on the other hand reads the game incredibly but struggles physically.

• The title was changed to Chelsea 0-3 Bayern Munich - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)
Just now, Stan said:

He is this good.

I remember watching him in the MLS (not the best standard, I know) but he would pretty much run and dominate every game from the left flank. 

Seems like he's upped his own game since joining Bayern. Playing with better players has helped make him better as well it appears. What I like is that he's not just a speed merchant. He actually can play good football too.

Yea seems to be an unusually good player.

8 hours ago, God is Haaland said:

If you can't then nobody can, mate. Can't believe your Australian superpowers and insults would ever let you down.

Okay. 

Martin Tyler is an overrated has been commentator who leans on boring fucking catchphrases and making out every European club to be evil mainland scum compared to the pure virgin grass of EPL clubs. He hasn't sounded bothered about the game in over a decade and even his commentary on Man citys 2011/12 premier league win is highly inferior to that other fellas. He's a cock sucking smeg loving ass bandit of the highest order and I hope he retires yesterday. 

This was a totally dominant performance by Bayern. I watched this match with some mates and it looked like boys against men. I don't think the first half was close at all really. It seemed like Chelsea probably edged the possession in the 1st half,  but I can only remember them creating 1 real dangerous chance in that first half. As for Bayern, they had at least 4 dangerous goal scoring opportunities, that were either blocked by Caballero or hit the bar.

In the second half, it was all Bayern and they just outclassed Chelsea with their brilliant movement and passing. They cut the Chelsea midfield and defence to shreds, it was boys against men and Bayern just looked in so much control. Bayern are just several levels above Chelsea in terms of class and they really look like the best team in the Champions League right now.  That second half was a world class performance by Bayern.

• Subscriber

Not much more to say that hasnt been said. Clinical. Well played overall by most of the squad. Davies continues to thrive and prove his worth every god damn match I love it. Müller was excellent in the first half when we struggled a bit, as the game settled in Lewy was great, Gnabry's finishing was on point. Couldnt really hope for a better result.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Machado said:

Is Davies having the game of his life or is he this good?

Stan summed it up well but yeah hes been this good. The surprising part is how quickly and how well he adjusted to not only playing at this level but also playing at LB. Guy is a stud.

8 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Rudiger is the type of player that makes a lot of mistakes that go a miss to most people. He was all over the place first half, his physical attributes and personality in a physical and fast league cover up a lot of his flaws. Ironically though he’s not even good in the air.

Christensen on the other hand reads the game incredibly but struggles physically.

I agree with your assessment about Christiansen, he reads the game superbly and he's a good all round defender, but it is his physicality that sometimes lets him down. Against a world class side like Bayern, he was always going to get outmuscled at times.

I have to disagree with some of your comments about Rudiger though. Rudiger is Chelsea's best defender in my opinion, he's miles better than Zouma for sure.

It's true that Rudiger does at times have lapses of concentration, which can lead to him not to being in the ideal defensive positions at times. This can result in some costly errors for Chelsea on occasions, but I can't think of many other real flaws that stand out in his game. Rudiger has the strength of an ox, he's a very good tackler and for a big man he is extremely quick for a defender. I have to disagree with you saying that he's not even good in the air, Rudiger for the most part this season, has been excellent in the air with his heading ability. He's also obviously very good in possession as well and he's not a bad passer of the ball either. So all round, I think that he's a very good defender.

I think that it's a bit harsh to criticize Rudiger alone in this match, when he was second best on several occasions, because the whole Chelsea team were outclassed. Every Chelsea player was dominated at times during this match. I mean you have Mount as your profile picture, but he was constantly tackled and disposed during this game and I can pick out situations where every other Chelsea player was outdone against Bayern. But that's just it, we have to remember that they were playing Bayern, who I would say are arguably the best team in Europe right now.

16 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Not much more to say that hasnt been said. Clinical. Well played overall by most of the squad. Davies continues to thrive and prove his worth every god damn match I love it. Müller was excellent in the first half when we struggled a bit, as the game settled in Lewy was great, Gnabry's finishing was on point. Couldnt really hope for a better result.

That was a world class performance by Bayern and the whole team was excellent. They created like 4 very dangerous scoring chances in the first half, even though they allowed Chelsea quite a bit of possession in that first half. In the second half, Bayern just changed gears and the goals flowed as they were ruthless in cutting through Chelsea's midfield and defence.

Davies is definitely Bayern's find of this season, he is extremely quick and strong and he has a very good end product when he goes forward. He's really saved Bayern a lot of headaches considering that they have 3 regular defenders out injured.

The worrying thing for you though, is the fact that Coman is injured again, the poor lad is always picking up injuries. He's such a talent but always prone to injury. The last time he was out injured, I believe he said that he might retire if he has another serious injury.

But all in all, Bayern will be very happy with that 3-0 away win and god save Chelsea from embarrassment in the return leg, because Bayern are an absolute beast of a team when they play in Munich.

10 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Davies and David make me think Canada has a seriously bright future in the sport. Especially when you consider they've been Estonia my whole life.

Yes, very true, Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David make Canada that much better of a team. Davies has been world class during several matches this season and his assist for Bayern's 3rd goal against Chelsea, just goes to show his abilities and his quality when he's in possession. David has really done well in the Belgian League this season, where he has scored goals for fun. He's also a real asset to Canada's forward line.

But it's now 6 wins out of 6 games for all the Bundesliga teams in this round of European competitions! What were you saying about not really rating the Bundesliga teams?:35_thinking::D

Champions League

Dortmund 2-1 PSG

Tottenham 0-1 RB Leipzig

Chelsea 0-3 Bayern Munich

Europa League

Frankfurt 4-1 RB Salzburg

Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 Porto

Wolfsburg 2-1 Malmo

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Michael said:

That was a world class performance by Bayern and the whole team was excellent. They created like 4 very dangerous scoring chances in the first half, even though they allowed Chelsea quite a bit of possession in that first half. In the second half, Bayern just changed gears and the goals flowed as they were ruthless in cutting through Chelsea's midfield and defence.

Davies is definitely Bayern's find of this season, he is extremely quick and strong and he has a very good end product when he goes forward. He's really saved Bayern a lot of headaches considering that they have 3 regular defenders out injured.

The worrying thing for you though, is the fact that Coman is injured again, the poor lad is always picking up injuries. He's such a talent but always prone to injury. The last time he was out injured, I believe he said that he might retire if he has another serious injury.

But all in all, Bayern will be very happy with that 3-0 away win and god save Chelsea from embarrassment in the return leg, because Bayern are an absolute beast of a team when they play in Munich.

That was the one negative from the match but I just read an update apparently Salihamidzic spoke to the press saying the injury is nothing serious and he will be back in action soon, apparently he confirmed its a strain so roughly a week.

12 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

That was the one negative from the match but I just read an update apparently Salihamidzic spoke to the press saying the injury is nothing serious and he will be back in action soon, apparently he confirmed its a strain so roughly a week.

Well that's good news for Bayern's sake and to be honest, he didn't look like he was in extreme pain when he went down. But you never know with him and his injury record. So that's great news from Bayern's perspective and I have to say that I have been very impressed with Flick since he became manager. Bayern have been superb under him and he has really gotten Bayern playing some very cohesive football. Their football is very effective and it kind of reminds me of the Bayern 2013 Champions League side, in terms of their ruthlessness and in terms of how clinical they are in front of goal.

Hard defeat to take, but fully deserved the better team won no question about it. The first half wasn't too bad, but crumbled in the second and the quick two goals completely destroyed any plan we had for that half. The subs didn't change much and our flanks where heavily exposed through Alonso and James who had a mare of a game.Obviously the return leg will be just a formality and nothing more. We will now have a string of "easier" games and in the league we face Bournemouth, Villa and Everton while hosting Liverpool in the Fa Cup. Can't do much more than push for the top four spot.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

This Bayern side have a knack of getting goals like waves once they find a way to get past your defense. Look at what they did to Spurs last year and what they did to Chelsea last night. Gnabry gets two goals in a space of five minutes and if you look at his stats when they played Spurs in London last year it seems like right around the 50th minute he gets amped to take a crack at the defense and walks away with two goals. Then he does the same exact thing later on and gets two goals for his effort. It might just be coincidental and have nothing to do with anything the player is capable of but its odd that he got those goals in succession when he did. 

5 hours ago, Michael said:

I agree with your assessment about Christiansen, he reads the game superbly and he's a good all round defender, but it is his physicality that sometimes lets him down. Against a world class side like Bayern, he was always going to get outmuscled at times.

I have to disagree with some of your comments about Rudiger though. Rudiger is Chelsea's best defender in my opinion, he's miles better than Zouma for sure.

It's true that Rudiger does at times have lapses of concentration, which can lead to him not to being in the ideal defensive positions at times. This can result in some costly errors for Chelsea on occasions, but I can't think of many other real flaws that stand out in his game. Rudiger has the strength of an ox, he's a very good tackler and for a big man he is extremely quick for a defender. I have to disagree with you saying that he's not even good in the air, Rudiger for the most part this season, has been excellent in the air with his heading ability. He's also obviously very good in possession as well and he's not a bad passer of the ball either. So all round, I think that he's a very good defender.

I think that it's a bit harsh to criticize Rudiger alone in this match, when he was second best on several occasions, because the whole Chelsea team were outclassed. Every Chelsea player was dominated at times during this match. I mean you have Mount as your profile picture, but he was constantly tackled and disposed during this game and I can pick out situations where every other Chelsea player was outdone against Bayern. But that's just it, we have to remember that they were playing Bayern, who I would say are arguably the best team in Europe right now.

Your description of Rudiger would be my description of Zouma. I really don't think Rudiger is that good in the air for someone of his physicality and stature.

I would rank our centre backs like this:

1. Zouma

2. Tomori

3 Christensen

4. Rudiger

With Tomori, Christensen and perhaps even with Zouma we still don't know their true ceiling or potential. Zouma has been suspect to the odd howler this season but overall he's defended a lot better than Christensen and Rudiger.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Your description of Rudiger would be my description of Zouma. I really don't think Rudiger is that good in the air for someone of his physicality and stature.

I would rank our centre backs like this:

1. Zouma

2. Tomori

3 Christensen

4. Rudiger

With Tomori, Christensen and perhaps even with Zouma we still don't know their true ceiling or potential. Zouma has been suspect to the odd howler this season but overall he's defended a lot better than Christensen and Rudiger.

I would rank the centre backs as follows:

1- Rudiger

2- Christensen

3- Zouma

4- Tomori

Zouma has made way too mistakes throughout his career for me to rate him as highly as you do. Furthermore, we are talking about their ability and their overall performances at present aren't we, not how much better they could become in the future. Moreover, there's only 1 years difference in age between Zouma and Rudiger, so I don't think that you could say that one of them hasn't reached their ceiling potential, while the other one has at this stage in their careers. 

I don't think it's just me who rates Rudiger above Zouma either. Zouma has been at Chelsea much longer than Rudiger. But since Rudiger joined Chelsea in 2017, all three managers of Chelsea have preferred Rudiger over Zouma. Conte, Sarri and now Lampard have all favoured  Rudiger over Zouma. Rudiger was out injured for most of the first half of this season, but since he recovered from injury, he's been first choice in most Premier League and Champions League matches for Chelsea.

Despite not being as strong, even Christensen has been much more consistent than Zouma in terms of performances and Christensen has actually been playing very well in the Premier League recently. Just 4 days ago, Christensen put in an excellent performance against Spurs, which helped Chelsea win the match 2-1.

I think that we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Archived