talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 0-3 Bayern Munich - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

It's not bigger than Facebook though. Maybe in Canada/USA it is (a lot of my high school friends have deleted FB by now) but in most third world countries it's still massive. 

All in all, Hockey isn't big enough worldwide to outdo any big football team. Alianza Lima themselves have more followers than the Leafs and Canucks combined.

No doubt facebook as a platform is larger. But unless you were able to find me a fact that proves Bayern is bigger than all of the NHL combined, then I'll stick with my original statement of that being 100% b.s. 

The sport of football is certainly more popular in the world...but NHL has a strong following and it worth a lot more, plus within Canada, the NHL will never be replaced by football. Here in States, nothing appears to ever have the chance to overthrow the NFL. 

Just now, Stan said:

In all honesty, it really doesn't matter who has more followers or likes on a social media page xD.

When you make a statement that Bayern is 'bigger' than the entire NHL combined, and you don't want to use the acutal values of teams, I guess it is to some. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Eco said:

No doubt facebook as a platform is larger. But unless you were able to find me a fact that proves Bayern is bigger than all of the NHL combined, then I'll stick with my original statement of that being 100% b.s. 

The sport of football is certainly more popular in the world...but NHL has a strong following and it worth a lot more, plus within Canada, the NHL will never be replaced by football. Here in States, nothing appears to ever have the chance to overthrow the NFL. 

When you make a statement that Bayern is 'bigger' than the entire NHL combined, and you don't want to use the acutal values of teams, I guess it is to some. 

Nah I mean that who cares if a certain team has more followers than other teams combined. I think it means very little in the grand scheme of things. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

In all honesty, it really doesn't matter who has more followers or likes on a social media page xD.

It does matter to my point though.

Bayern have more followers on Facebook than about 200 countries/overseas territories out of 235 (I did the math)

That is important to arguing how big the team is worldwide. My original point was that Davies is putting Canada on the map far better than NHL teams in the USA do, but they'd rather talk about the latter then the former because it sells. Thus making Davies' story pretty underrated in the country.

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

NFL is a better sample size though my man. NHL is very popular in Canada in a country with a population of 30 million, not a great example towards my point because Canada winning in international Hockey or having a great player in an American NHL team doesn't mean anything to countries like Argentina or Ethiopia. It doesn't put Canada on the map outside of the USA and some parts of Europe.

Even the NFL I think is kind of hard to compare because while it's very important in a country with a large population, the television views of the Superbowl compared to Liverpool vs United are staggering.

If there's one thing I can agree on though it's that the sport will never take over the USA or Canada. That's why Davies' story is going a bit under the radar. Hockey sells in Canada. Not much more to it then that.

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

NFL is a better sample size though my man. NHL is very popular in Canada in a country with a population of 30 million, not a great example towards my point because Canada winning in international Hockey or having a great player in an American NHL team doesn't mean anything to countries like Argentina or Ethiopia. It doesn't put Canada on the map outside of the USA and some parts of Europe.

Even the NFL I think is kind of hard to compare because while it's very important in a country with a large population, the television views of the Superbowl compared to Liverpool vs United are staggering.

If there's one thing I can agree on though it's that the sport will never take over the USA or Canada. That's why Davies' story is going a bit under the radar. Hockey sells in Canada. Not much more to it then that.

Nothing you said I disagree with, but I still can't take it seriously that Bayern is 'bigger' than the NHL combined based on Facebook followers. That seems like a narrow stat an the attempt to prove a point.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

In things related to the thread. Lewy has been ruled out for the return leg in Munich. Somewhere somehow he suffered a minor fracture in his tibia where it joins his left knee. Expected to be out 4 weeks. 

The issue I see with that is that players like these reach a stage where they are in such hot form and an injury totally derails that so even if he was available I don't think he'd come back the same goal engine he has been. Having said that the guy isn't normal and the way he has gone about scoring goals over his career isn't the sign of a normal striker either. Still think you'll win the second leg at home and move onto the next round.

Archived