talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 0-3 Bayern Munich - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

7 hours ago, Michael said:

Yes, very true, Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David make Canada that much better of a team. Davies has been world class during several matches this season and his assist for Bayern's 3rd goal against Chelsea, just goes to show his abilities and his quality when he's in possession. David has really done well in the Belgian League this season, where he has scored goals for fun. He's also a real asset to Canada's forward line.

What sucks is that here in Canada there's no exposure towards Davies and David. Not enough interest in the sport. I don't get that though, they'd rather cover a Hockey player playing for a team in the States because it's what sells, but they fail to realize that Davies is putting the country on the map far better than many Hockey teams combined. Playing for Bayern is far more exposure than any team in the NHL.

Davies is Canada's first really good player since Dwayne de Rosario and he's far better than Dwayne. It's not even a debate.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

What sucks is that here in Canada there's no exposure towards Davies and David. Not enough interest in the sport. I don't get that though, they'd rather cover a Hockey player playing for a team in the States because it's what sells, but they fail to realize that Davies is putting the country on the map far better than many Hockey teams combined. Playing for Bayern is far more exposure than any team in the NHL.

Davies is Canada's first really good player since Dwayne de Rosario and he's far better than Dwayne. It's not even a debate.

Yes, I just think that Canada just doesn't have a football culture. I remember when my grandfather was working in Canada before my mum was even born, he was actually asked to try out with the Canadian national team. I mean my grandfather was a good athlete from what I am told, but he wasn't like a professional footballer even. He just used to play part time for one of the football teams in Montreal and obviously some Canadian football officials liked what they saw and hence gave him the offer. My grandfather turned down the offer as he was working full time in a well paid job at the time. But the point is, that there's never been a real football culture in Canada.

Their national team, with all due respect, has never been that good. Even football in the USA is much more popular than it is in Canada. Hopefully the emergence of players like Davies and David will change the perspective of many Canadians regarding the sport of football. If the Canadian team attain any success on the field, it is possible that it may get the locals to follow football more. Davies is only 19 and it's his breakout season, so perhaps when he becomes even more famous, the Canadian press and the Canadians themselves, might start to take more notice.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

So I can only speak about my local radio and sports news but two things. He got a ton more coverage when playing for the caps for a couple reasons. One obviously its the home town team but two they pay for air time; they have players/coaches come on regularly durring the season and they have dedicated segments where they talk Cap's. Much like the lions (BC lions that is)Hockey is king in Canada and that goes all the way back to grass roots levels. There just isnt alot of interest or support for soccer at the youth levels. I think things are finally changing and they've taken note of this as its embarrasing with the resources we have at our disposal that we are 100+ ranked in the world in mens football. 

Secondly the best sports coverage I've found is paywalled; The Athletic has fantastic articles. With a discount I can usually get a year subscription for around 50$ CAD and its hands down worth it. Their bundesliga coverage is still a work in progress but they added Rafael Honigstein this last year and hes done an excellent job so far. A few months back there was an excellent article covering Davies, I cant recall who wrote it but it was a lenghty and well researched article, just not something I find in regular outlets. He went into details about his backstory and how and who braught him to Vancouver among other things. 

14 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

So I can only speak about my local radio and sports news but two things. He got a ton more coverage when playing for the caps for a couple reasons. One obviously its the home town team but two they pay for air time; they have players/coaches come on regularly durring the season and they have dedicated segments where they talk Cap's. Much like the lions (BC lions that is)Hockey is king in Canada and that goes all the way back to grass roots levels. There just isnt alot of interest or support for soccer at the youth levels. I think things are finally changing and they've taken note of this as its embarrasing with the resources we have at our disposal that we are 100+ ranked in the world in mens football. 

Secondly the best sports coverage I've found is paywalled; The Athletic has fantastic articles. With a discount I can usually get a year subscription for around 50$ CAD and its hands down worth it. Their bundesliga coverage is still a work in progress but they added Rafael Honigstein this last year and hes done an excellent job so far. A few months back there was an excellent article covering Davies, I cant recall who wrote it but it was a lenghty and well researched article, just not something I find in regular outlets. He went into details about his backstory and how and who braught him to Vancouver among other things. 

Hockey will always be number 1 in Canada. It is what sells. What I do know is that Canadians take huge pride in their nation and Davies putting them on the map better than any American should be enough to interest enough people. Just look at Toronto FC. I don't actually believe everyone who attends are actual football fans but rather they go to support the city.

I can also say this: I hate youth level in Canada. I just don't believe in the players there. It's not because they are bad, but in comparison to youth level in Peru I find a lot of the players there prefer to go and study a career than play football. So I find it hard to take seriously.

1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Hockey will always be number 1 in Canada. It is what sells. What I do know is that Canadians take huge pride in their nation and Davies putting them on the map better than any American should be enough to interest enough people. Just look at Toronto FC. I don't actually believe everyone who attends are actual football fans but rather they go to support the city.

I can also say this: I hate youth level in Canada. I just don't believe in the players there. It's not because they are bad, but in comparison to youth level in Peru I find a lot of the players there prefer to go and study a career than play football. So I find it hard to take seriously.

Serious question, but do you honestly believe Davies is better than Pulisic? Pulisic plays in a much more popular league (in terms of viewership in the Americas), and I bet a paycheck Chelsea are more supported than Bayern here and in Canada for the reason that the EPL is much more popular than the BL. 

Just now, Eco said:

Serious question, but do you honestly believe Davies is better than Pulisic? Pulisic plays in a much more popular league (in terms of viewership in the Americas), and I bet a paycheck Chelsea are more supported than Bayern here and in Canada for the reason that the EPL is much more popular than the BL. 

Different positions. I think both has their uses. Pulisic also exploded in the first season he was given a chance so I suppose it's a matter of seeing his longevity.

Bundesliga is popular in Canada though from my experience. Not as much as PL but it does have a decently big following among the football fans.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

Different positions. I think both has their uses. Pulisic also exploded in the first season he was given a chance so I suppose it's a matter of seeing his longevity.

Bundesliga is popular in Canada though from my experience. Not as much as PL but it does have a decently big following among the football fans.

You said nothing about positions though, you just said a better prospect, and I would argue that Pulisic was a much larger Pulisic, and only because he has done it for longer and has performed longer for the NT. Davies is great, and may end up the better player, but at this stage, Pulisic is still ahead of Davies. 

Just now, Eco said:

You said nothing about positions though, you just said a better prospect, and I would argue that Pulisic was a much larger Pulisic, and only because he has done it for longer and has performed longer for the NT. Davies is great, and may end up the better player, but at this stage, Pulisic is still ahead of Davies. 

Ah i see what you mean. I didn’t see the bolder part in the quote.

Yeah Pulisic is more proven, no disagreeing there. However Davies is the in form CONCACAF player at the moment so it becomes debatable.

7 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Yup - I wasn't speaking in Hyperbole this time. Bayern is bigger than every NHL team combined, not just a few.

In what way? Not in what they are worth...

According to Forbes,  Bayern are worth $1.47b USD

also according to Forbes, NY Rangers are worth $1.65b USD, Toronto are worth $1.5b USD, and Canadiens are worth 1.34b. 

Just now, Eco said:

In what way? Not in what they are worth...

According to Forbes,  Bayern are worth $1.47b USD

also according to Forbes, NY Rangers are worth $1.65b USD, Toronto are worth $1.5b USD, and Canadiens are worth 1.34b. 

On Social media I meant, and Craig Forrest as well.

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

On Social media I meant, and Craig Forrest as well.

There is less than 0% chance that Bayern is more popular on social media than all of the NHL combined. Just looking at the twitter followers, Bayern has more than any team (6.5m), but not as much as the top 5 teams combined (CHI - 2.5m, TOR - 1.85m, PITT - 1.56m, MON - 1.47m) much less every team in the entire NHL combined. 

C'mon man...

1 minute ago, Eco said:

There is less than 0% chance that Bayern is more popular on social media than all of the NHL combined. Just looking at the twitter followers, Bayern has more than any team (6.5m), but not as much as the top 5 teams combined (CHI - 2.5m, TOR - 1.85m, PITT - 1.56m, MON - 1.47m) much less every team in the entire NHL combined. 

C'mon man...

Craig Forrest messed up then.

Unless he meant all the Bayern accounts or Facebook.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

C'mon man...

Might be wrong here but didn't think Chicago or Pittsburgh are in Canada.

Just now, Inti Brian said:

Craig Forrest messed up then.

Unless he meant all the Bayern accounts.

He was wrong and/or doesn't do any research. 

On twitter I counted up all the followers for each of Bayern's languages accounts (German, English, Spanish, and Arabic), and did the same for the NHL teams. 

Took less than 5 minutes of 'research'. 

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Might be wrong here but didn't think Chicago or Pittsburgh are in Canada.

Brian didn't say Canada, he said the entire NHL. 

If you are looking at just NHL teams in Canada that might be a closer number. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

He was wrong and/or doesn't do any research. 

On twitter I counted up all the followers for each of Bayern's languages accounts (German, English, Spanish, and Arabic), and did the same for the NHL teams. 

Took less than 5 minutes of 'research'. 

Nope. Think he's right actually, look on Facebook. Bayern has 49M and teams like the Leafs, Habs and Rangers all average less than 2M.

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Nope. Think he's right actually, look on Facebook. Bayern has 49M and teams like the Leafs, Habs and Rangers all average less than 2M.

I'd easily argue that he isn't right. Twitter is a massive Social Media platform, so if his statement isn't true on it, then he's is incorrect. 

I'd also argue that in terms of getting news and keeping up with teams, Twitter is much more commonly used, so I think that would be a better indicator than Facebook. 

Just now, Eco said:

I'd easily argue that he isn't right. Twitter is a massive Social Media platform, so if his statement isn't true on it, then he's is incorrect. 

I'd also argue that in terms of getting news and keeping up with teams, Twitter is much more commonly used, so I think that would be a better indicator than Facebook. 

It's not bigger than Facebook though. Maybe in Canada/USA it is (a lot of my high school friends have deleted FB by now) but in most third world countries it's still massive. 

All in all, Hockey isn't big enough worldwide to outdo any big football team. Alianza Lima themselves have more followers than the Leafs and Canucks combined.

Archived