talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Napoli 1-1 Barcelona - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Atletico were more world class with him than without him, tbh.

Disagree. The best Atlético Madrid in my life was the one with prime Diego Costa and David Villa. The one that won La Liga and reached the CL final in the same year.

Griezmann delivered but didn’t take them that far. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I agree. I mean they won the hardest league in the world, and did well in the CL...

Dunno if I'd call it that, but I suppose it's always a big deal when it's someone that's not Real Madrid or Barcelona winning it. I think it's hard to say Griezmann's not world class, tbh, he was obviously the key attacking player for Atletico and France (when France won a World Cup - and yeah, I'm known to scoff at international performances... but you've obviously got to be good to be a key man at a World Cup winning side).

Tbh, I'm not sure if Barca was the right move for him - I'm sure a more stable Barca would be a better fit... but right now Barca aren't looking like the well oiled machine we've known them as for the last 15 years. But it's obviously going to be different when you've got everything built around you because you're by far and away the best attacker on the side, to going to a side where you're not the best and you're not even the second best attacker (because Messi and Suarez exist).

• The title was changed to Napoli 1-1 (Griezmann, 57') Barcelona - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dunno if I'd call it that, but I suppose it's always a big deal when it's someone that's not Real Madrid or Barcelona winning it. I think it's hard to say Griezmann's not world class, tbh, he was obviously the key attacking player for Atletico and France (when France won a World Cup - and yeah, I'm known to scoff at international performances... but you've obviously got to be good to be a key man at a World Cup winning side).

Tbh, I'm not sure if Barca was the right move for him - I'm sure a more stable Barca would be a better fit... but right now Barca aren't looking like the well oiled machine we've known them as for the last 15 years. But it's obviously going to be different when you've got everything built around you because you're by far and away the best attacker on the side, to going to a side where you're not the best and you're not even the second best attacker (because Messi and Suarez exist).

I am only using the UEFA coefficients...

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

La Liga was the best when Atlético won it though. 

Also I don’t think he was great in the World Cup. Mbappe and Kante were far more important.

Just now, Inti Brian said:

La Liga was the best when Atlético won it though. 

Also I don’t think he was great in the World Cup. Mbappe and Kante were far more important.

He was certainly better than Giroud. 

Just now, Eco said:

I am only using the UEFA coefficients...

Yeah I don't do that xD - it's like using FIFA coefficients to say who's the best team in the world. Do FIFA think it's the current World Cup holders? Nah, they think it's Belgium who've never won anything (well not that I'm aware of).

Tbh, I think shite like "best team in the world" or "best league in the world" are a load of bollocks - but especially best league in the world. With best team in the world, it's easier to gauge the quality... with best league in the world there are a billion different variables and the different styles of football also mean people's opinions on what they find entertaining will vary from league to league.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Disagree. The best Atlético Madrid in my life was the one with prime Diego Costa and David Villa. The one that won La Liga and reached the CL final in the same year.

I loved the Aguero/Forlan partnership.

Just now, Eco said:

He was certainly better than Giroud. 

Griezmann was a passenger though (for the most part). Giroud at least gave the team balance up front even if he didn't impact the actual games a whole lot.

In conclusion he is a good player but when I was told about Griezmann I always imagined in my head a complete striker with great dribbling and incredible technique when he's really just a poacher and not even as good as some of the ones in recent times. He's suited to teams that have some expectation but are more limited in resources in comparison with the top teams.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I don't do that xD - it's like using FIFA coefficients to say who's the best team in the world. Do FIFA think it's the current World Cup holders? Nah, they think it's Belgium who've never won anything (well not that I'm aware of).

YOU HEARING THIS BUNDESLIGA FANS? :ph34r:

Just now, Inti Brian said:

Griezmann was a passenger though (for the most part). Giroud at least gave the team balance up front even if he didn't impact the actual games a whole lot.

In conclusion he is a good player but when I was told about Griezmann I always imagined in my head a complete striker with great dribbling and incredible technique when he's really just a poacher and not even as good as some of the ones in recent times. He's suited to teams that have some expectation but are more limited in resources in comparison with the top teams.

Again, I am not debating you. 

But IMO, if you say that you can't judge a striker solely on the few amount of goals scored, I think you can in fact judge him if he scores a boat load. Doesn't matter if he's a poacher or not. 

Just now, Eco said:

Again, I am not debating you. 

But IMO, if you say that you can't judge a striker solely on the few amount of goals scored, I think you can in fact judge him if he scores a boat load. Doesn't matter if he's a poacher or not. 

I said that yesterday.

I'm comparing him to players like prime Higuain who was far better than Griezmann is.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I know what you mean. Maybe would have been better to say 'one of' the best leagues in the world. We could argue the toughest league for ages, but 'one of' opens it up a bit more. 

Just now, Eco said:

I know what you mean. Maybe would have been better to say 'one of' the best leagues in the world. We could argue the toughest league for ages, but 'one of' opens it up a bit more. 

We could, but it'd be such a tedious argument. Also the fixation around the league the current CL holder comes from isn't necessarily the strongest indicator of league quality either; it's normal in the top flight of any country that football will be a bit "top heavy" with quality - the big clubs are better than the others. So some leagues have better big clubs, but play in leagues that can't really compare to their quality (best example I can think of right now would be PSG).

I think it's a pointless argument & something most people can agree on is what leagues are the "top" leagues and I think that's a better way of looking at it. Treating them as similar and fairly equal in quality, at least in terms of the sides they have at the top.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We could, but it'd be such a tedious argument. Also the fixation around the league the current CL holder comes from isn't necessarily the strongest indicator of league quality either; it's normal in the top flight of any country that football will be a bit "top heavy" with quality - the big clubs are better than the others. So some leagues have better big clubs, but play in leagues that can't really compare to their quality (best example I can think of right now would be PSG).

I think it's a pointless argument & something most people can agree on is what leagues are the "top" leagues and I think that's a better way of looking at it. Treating them as similar and fairly equal in quality, at least in terms of the sides they have at the top.

This is why the Europa League exists in my opinion. To determine who has the best mid table to top half.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

This is why the Europa League exists in my opinion. To determine who has the best mid table to top half.

Nah the Europa League exists because it's a rebranding of the UEFA Cup, which was just UEFA seeing that everyone liked European football so much and thinking "we can probably get more TV revenue if we make a 'UEFA Cup' and have more teams playing in Europe."

Plus if it was to determine the "best of the rest" they wouldn't have clubs coming down from the CL... who tend to do pretty well in the tournament themselves tbh. But the Europa League exists for the same reason a lot of things exist: it makes some people a good amount of money.

4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Maybe. Problem with even this thinking is that there are teams that don't take this competition serious. 

Just now, RandoEFC said:

To be fair Digne wanted to leave for first team football after missing out on the World Cup winning French squad and £20m for your reserve left back when you have Jordi Alba as first choice is probably a pretty good deal.

Shhh with your "logic" and "reasoning" and "making accurate points" let's just point and laugh at Barca xD

• The title was changed to Napoli 1-1 Barcelona - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived