talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Napoli 1-1 Barcelona - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that'd be a bit worrying for Barca in the second leg, considering I think Vidal and Griezmann have been Barca's two best players on the night, but for the fact that Barca will be playing the second leg at home and I fully expect Gattuso's Napoli to be torn apart with a Messi masterclass.

• The title was changed to Napoli 1-1 Barcelona - Tuesday 25th February, 2020 (1st Leg)
Just now, Eco said:

Doesn't everyone? 

Forgot about him. 

Jesus when did Barca become so detestable? 

I used to not hate Suarez, because he was very clearly a cunt... but he was our cunt. Even when he tried to force a move the first time, to fucking Arsenal of all places, he won his way back into my good graces by putting forth possibly the most ridiculous season I've ever seen from a Liverpool player. Say what you will about him, but at his peak he was absolutely unplayable. So that made him tolerable as a Liverpool fan.

Then he goes and bites someone else to get a lengthy ban and simultaneously pushes for his move to Barca - which seemed like weird timing, maybe to reduce the price a bit for Barca (wouldn't put it passed Barca). But the fact he bit someone else, after involving our fucking club in a racism scandal because he wanted to get under Evra's skin by being racist (which is abhorrent, to say the least), really showed his true colours again.

But when did Barca become so detestable? I'm not sure... but I suspect it was around the time when Barca shunned it's tradition of having no sponsor on its kit. First with the Unicef stunt, which seemed like "okay we'll have a sponsor now, but we're paying for this sponsor" which was really just a way of getting fans on board with the idea of Barca with sponsors on their shirt. Then they took oil money the season after.

But I can say with certaintly, the way they courted Cesc Fabregas - which was disgraceful and really disrespectful to Arsenal kind of set the stage for the modern day cunty Barcelona.

I think Barca are through though. Rule #1 in Europe is win your home games. Rule #2 is keep it tight away from home if you're not going to win. Barca followed rule #2, Napoli didn't follow rule #1.

It's not impossible to progress after drawing at home, obviously. But it's a big ask.

9 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Griezmann has never ever ever been a world class player.

Very average. He’s Atlético Madrid/Dortmund quality at best.

Griezmann is average? He's Dortmund quality at best? That's a bit strange considering Dortmund have arguably the best world class forward in the world right now in Haaland and several other world class players in their team like Sancho. There's no average at Dortmund mate.;) Must be your not rating Bundesliga teams mantra kicking in again.xD

This was a tough game, as expected, Barcelona dominated the possession and Napoli sat back to defend deep, with the hope of hitting Barcelona on the break. Mertens goal was a beautiful and accurate strike. At that point Napoli's game plan was working. But typical Barcelona eventually found the equaliser after their dominance in the second half. 

I think that both sides will be satisfied with this result. Napoli avoided defeat, while Barcelona got a score draw away from home, which is not the worst possible result. Barcelona should now finish the job at the Nou Camp in front of their home fans, I expect a comfortable win from them. Napoli won't be able to stop them from scoring in Catalonia.

• Subscriber

If Barcelona do not progress beyond this stage I wonder what ramifications it will have on the club recruitment in the summer? They've now spunked money on players who have gotten them perhaps what they want in the league but the elusive CL now sits out there. With Man City on the deck for FFP spanking would it make sense to reach out to the one man who led them to success and ask him if he wants to return to Catalonia? I also think theres something imbalanced about this Barcelona side but I can't put my finger on it. In a few years Busquets will no longer be around and as it stands hes a shadow of how good he used to be.

• The topic was unpinned
4 hours ago, Michael said:

Griezmann is average? He's Dortmund quality at best? That's a bit strange considering Dortmund have arguably the best world class forward in the world right now in Haaland and several other world class players in their team like Sancho. There's no average at Dortmund mate.;) Must be your not rating Bundesliga teams mantra kicking in again.xD

Nah what I meant was that teams like Dortmund and Atletico are more limited in resources and you’d expect up to 2 or 3 world class players from those sides.

19 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Nah what I meant was that teams like Dortmund and Atletico are more limited in resources and you’d expect up to 2 or 3 world class players from those sides.

Fair enough mate, but I don't necessarily think that it's a rule that the richest clubs have the best players or even always buy the best players. Some clubs such as Dortmund buy young players relatively cheaply and develop them into top notch players. Dortmund have a habit of both doing this as well as spending big on a couple of highly rated players.

I am not sure if Dortmund could afford a player that would cost over 100 million pounds. But then again, spending huge amounts of money like this on a single player is probably against their club policy, even if they could afford it. Atletico Madrid however, did spend 126 million euros on Joao Felix, so I'd say they have quite a lot of money in their piggy bank. 

Archived