talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

OFFICAL: Inter sign Spalletti to 2 year Deal

football forum

Report today in La Gazzetta dello Sport

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Inter/15-04-2017/inter-futuro-pioli-appeso-un-filo-sara-nuovo-assalto-simeone-conte-190762470747.shtml

Stating the it looks like unless Pioli gets Inter into Europe, he is definitely out, and with the replacement being Diego Simone, who is currently at Atletico Madrid.

This would be a massive mover for Inter. Diego played for Inter, and is close friends with fellow countryman, and Inter VP, Javier Zanetti.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Backwards step for Simeone, surely?! Atletico are a far bigger club than Inter although I can appreciate the links with Zanetti and Simeone's playing career there. Still think he could command a bigger club than Inter unless they have huge plans for investment - perhaps they do with the new owners. Can't see Simeone going there unless there's gonna be guarantees (which is virtually impossible) that they'll be seriously  challenging for titles and consistently going to be in the Champions League. 

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Backwards step for Simeone, surely?! Atletico are a far bigger club than Inter although I can appreciate the links with Zanetti and Simeone's playing career there. Still think he could command a bigger club than Inter unless they have huge plans for investment - perhaps they do with the new owners. Can't see Simeone going there unless there's gonna be guarantees (which is virtually impossible) that they'll be seriously  challenging for titles and consistently going to be in the Champions League. 

I think a massive investment is definitely coming. Unlike the red side of Milan, Inter have boat loads of money, and I think they are about to spend it. Diego played for Inter, so he is familiar with the city. His son plays in Italy, so naturally, I don't think it's as far fetched as some might believe.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Conte. He's a Juve and he'd jump ship overnight if Juve came calling. Jardim I'm okay with, although he's had an outstanding season, and I'm not sure if it's just this talent he has now, or if he is actually a good coach.

Marco Silva makes no sense to me. But I don't watch the EPL or Hull City much.

12 hours ago, Stan said:

Atletico are a far bigger club than Inter

Really? Ok then.

Whether it all turns out to be baseless speculation remains to be seen, but it seems like Inter will be one of the biggest investors this summer. With a host of young Italian talent breaking through in Serie A there is lots of potentially great signings. With that and then a challenge on the woeful FFP rules, Inter should be able to compete at the top level again.

Also bare in mind that from next season, Italy will have four automatic Champions League spots again. Giving Inter, and other Italian teams, a better shot at being back in the 'elite' competition.

• Subscriber

They'd probably be better suited at trying to court Jardim as the talent is there in Serie A and he can help build something like he's doing at Monaco which will be raided in the summer anyways.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Really? Ok then.

Whether it all turns out to be baseless speculation remains to be seen, but it seems like Inter will be one of the biggest investors this summer. With a host of young Italian talent breaking through in Serie A there is lots of potentially great signings. With that and then a challenge on the woeful FFP rules, Inter should be able to compete at the top level again.

Also bare in mind that from next season, Italy will have four automatic Champions League spots again. Giving Inter, and other Italian teams, a better shot at being back in the 'elite' competition.

do you not agree?

Not saying Inter aren't big, but Atletico are bigger. Look how far Atletico have come in the last 6-7 seasons. Won La Liga ahead of Real & Barca and got to 2 Champions League finals. Inter have done little to nothing of note since their CL success?

25 minutes ago, Stan said:

do you not agree?

Not saying Inter aren't big, but Atletico are bigger. Look how far Atletico have come in the last 6-7 seasons. Won La Liga ahead of Real & Barca and got to 2 Champions League finals. Inter have done little to nothing of note since their CL success?

I would just assume when you say bigger, you mean recently, whereas historically, Inter would likely be considered bigger. Maybe that's some confusion?

6 hours ago, Tanksie said:

I think the odds of Conte stepping down to Inter are very very very low at the moment, Simione almost as unlikely.

I don't understand the Conte connection, but Simone makes a lot more sense given the reasons I did early.

6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

They'd probably be better suited at trying to court Jardim as the talent is there in Serie A and he can help build something like he's doing at Monaco which will be raided in the summer anyways.

Jardim is an interesting choice for me. We are already planning to raid their players, but I wonder how Jardim would do in Italy? He isn't known for being successful UNTIL this year correct? If my assumption is correct, than that is somewhat troubling.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, ATL said:

Jardim is an interesting choice for me. We are already planning to raid their players, but I wonder how Jardim would do in Italy? He isn't known for being successful UNTIL this year correct? If my assumption is correct, than that is somewhat troubling.

If you discount his time in Greece which was probably a walkover anyways and how he's gone about managing the team this year then yes hes definitely been successful more this year than any. Having said that though if Inter can provide him the resources and of course the time I think he'd do well in Italy as well. Not to discount Silva but looking at the two right now Jardim seems the more logical choice based on how the respective teams are performing.

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

If you discount his time in Greece which was probably a walkover anyways and how he's gone about managing the team this year then yes hes definitely been successful more this year than any. Having said that though if Inter can provide him the resources and of course the time I think he'd do well in Italy as well. Not to discount Silva but looking at the two right now Jardim seems the more logical choice based on how the respective teams are performing.

We are rumored to be going after two current Monaco players so that might make the most sense. We'll take all 3

With a manager like Simeone or Conte we can definitely become one of the strongest teams of Europe again. I expect chinese to throw a lot of money for our next manager and I hope this will be Diego. after 20 whole years his return to Inter will be redeeming.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, ATL said:

We are rumored to be going after two current Monaco players so that might make the most sense. We'll take all 3

Are you'll going to make the cut for Europe based on the table? If that happens I can't see why you'll shouldn't even give a shot at Simeone considering his past affiliations with the club. The problem really is securing a position in Europe to give a top manager something to come to. I've heard they are willing to offer 10mil to either Conte or Simeone to come and manage them. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

do you not agree?

Better, I don't disagree with. But 'far bigger' is very dismissive of a historical club like Inter. Or is history just forgotten about and it's only the last few years that matter now?

• Administrator
15 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Better, I don't disagree with. But 'far bigger' is very dismissive of a historical club like Inter. Or is history just forgotten about and it's only the last few years that matter now?

not denying the history they have as that would be extremely ignorant of me.

But Atletico have history as well? 

Current terms, Atletico are bigger.

Historically, perhaps Inter win that battle. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I've always hated the ambiguity of 'bigger' club. 'Stronger squad' would suit this instsnce better.

Correct. "Bigger' is pointless and you can't determine who is 'bigger'. However, you can tell who is the stronger club.

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Bigger is a term used by clubs with a lot of fans who were successful once upon a time. The bigger club gets the better players.

But determining who's bigger: Inter or Atletico, is rather pointless. Atletico has a much stronger side at the moment, so who cares.

Either way, it'll take a lot to persuade him to move to Inter. Depending on his relationship with the club and the owners future ambitions.

If they could persuade Monchi to join, perhaps that would show their intent to Simeone. Rebuilding such a prestigious club might appeal to him.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

It's the dismissive nature of the 'far bigger' comment like Inter are a nomark club. 

that's your interpretation, to be fair. not once did I allude to Inter being a nomark club :) 

Think Spike says it better, though. Stronger is probably a better word. 

I don't see it as a step backwards of Simeone. It's a lateral move as Inter have a strong squad with a lot of financial backing. What Inter need is a person like Simeone to cut the squad down and mould it into a cohesive team.

There are a lot of players to send packing: Palacio, Andreolli, Sainsbury, Eder, and a bunch of loanees. It isn't hard to see Inter lining up with something like this under Simeone:

Gabi - Icardi

Perisic - Gagliardini - Mario - Candreva

Ansaldi - Miranda - Murillo - D'ambrosio

Handanovic

• The title was changed to Inter Milan Sack Pioli; Pochettino Reported To Have Met With Inter Reps

Archived