talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton 0-1 Crystal Palace - Saturday 29th February, 2020

football forum

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Mate you quoted me talking about the yellow, what other debate did you expect to happen? 😂

I was also mentioning why I thought Zaha's actions were shit but you seemed to forego that. 

• The title was changed to Brighton 0-1 Crystal Palace - Saturday 29th February, 2020
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Apparently there is a big rivalry between these two sides. Why is that they are no where near each other so can't be a local thing?

They mentioned it earlier on commentary - Brighton and Palace hired Mullery & Venables respectively and they were already rivals. There were quite a few moments when both sides faced each other and some controversies ensued.

Mullery apparently had hot coffee poured over him by a Palace fan.

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Apparently there is a big rivalry between these two sides. Why is that they are no where near each other so can't be a local thing?

It's not always about location. Maybe it is an English thing to focus on local derbies more than competitive rivalries? For instance Inter and Juventus aren't local, nor are Roma and Napoli.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

They mentioned it earlier on commentary - Brighton and Palace hired Mullery & Venables respectively and they were already rivals. There were quite a few moments when both sides faced each other and some controversies ensued.

Mullery apparently had hot coffee poured over him by a Palace fan.

Mullery also flipped us the bird after a game and then chucked his spare pocket change on the table at the press conference before claiming we were worth less than that. It really escalated from there.

46BF0F5C00000578-0-image-a-14_1511817384437.thumb.jpg.0dae96946aa5f5c12d0c9a7998b8854d.jpg

• Subscriber

In some ways rivalries like that are actually a bit better - local rivalry is a natural thing but at times I do think that a lot of clubs rivals are just the same difference, you're hating your own people, just very slightly different. Us and Derby fans just aren't that dissimilar really. It's a bit illogical when you think about it.

I've always thought one of the most under-rated rivalries in England is Chelsea v Liverpool - they are genuinely at two quite different ends of a spectrum, there's a natural dislike there.

On 29/02/2020 at 15:56, Dan said:

I've always thought one of the most under-rated rivalries in England is Chelsea v Liverpool - they are genuinely at two quite different ends of a spectrum, there's a natural dislike there.

Tbh I found that rivalry to be rather forced. Chelsea fans and the media pushed it in the Mourinho-Rafa days and I remember a lot of our fans being like "what the fuck is this, they're not really our rivals." But because back in those days Mourinho was so good into playing into Sky's whole pantomime production of football it ended up growing into a thing.

If the rivalry was a natural dislike due to socioeconomic and political issues, we'd have rivalries up and down the country tbh. And while everyone hates us, I wouldn't say that necessarily is the making of a rivalry. Otherwise Wolves would probably be one of our biggest rivals and I don't really give two fucks about Wolves.

On 02/03/2020 at 19:03, Stan said:

Just seen this game named 'El Gatwicko'. 

That's worse than all VAR decisions put together this season xD game's gone. 

It's better than the M23 Derby. Just because that was started by Sky and its not a derby. It's a rivalry.

Archived