talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Subscription Exhaustion

football forum

I heard that this is becoming a deal nowadays, which makes sense as EVERYTHING nowadays is paid on a subscription base. 

I'm curious if this is as popular of a model here as in Europe, and then curious as to what you subscribe to? 

I pay monthly for:

YouTube TV $49.99/mo
F1 TV Pro $79.99/yr 
Netflix (Free with T-Mobile Cell Service)
Spotify Family $12.99/mo
ESPN+ Premium (Comes with Hulu and Disney+) $12.99/mo
BRLive (Gets me every CL and EL match) $9.99/mo
OL Premium (I get audio of every Lyon match in French)  $1.99/mo

and I used to try Rosetta Stone which is mainly subscription based now. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
22 hours ago, Toinho said:

Netflix, Stan(streaming service), Kayo (sports package), and some teacher ones.

I stopped this months ago. Whoever you're watching is not me mate. 

I am totally over it tbh, particularly given the minimal time I have to watch anything.

I've kept paying $25/month on Foxtel since the last season of game of thrones ended because I wanted to watch season 5 of the Americans. A single season of the series.  It's been nearly a year and I've watched 11 episodes and I've paid $250 for the privilege.

I'm going to get rid of all the tv subscriptions soon and just pay through iTunes/playStore for a season of any show I want to watch when I'm ready to watch it.

For me that would easily be the best value option, and not only that it's also the most reliable and least frustrating. Because these shitty streaming services are so opaque about what they have available on their platform outside of their own original self made content that you don't even know which service to open if your looking for some classic film or kids film, or old series of a tv show. On which one of these 5 subscription sites do I need to look to put on Home Alone for my kid to watch? Hope you guessed the right site first otherwise that's ten annoying minutes wasted flicking through all of them.

A customer experience that would have only been good if it had complete market share and all content available.

When people ask me when they can get me for my birthday/christmas, I just tell them to get me Netflix/Amazon Prime/PSN gift cards which usually pays for all my subscriptions for the year. I technically pay £0.

Eastern Europe bitches we have everything on cable TV. I watch the Premiership/Championship and lower leagues on Sport Klub, also La Liga etc. The Seria A is on Arena Sport while Bundes Liga is on Euro Sport. Champions League and Europa League are usually on Arena Sport and some domestic channels. 

I have a digital device, internet and i pay it 25 euros.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Harry said:

I'm going to get rid of all the tv subscriptions soon and just pay through iTunes/playStore for a season of any show I want to watch when I'm ready to watch it.

For me that would easily be the best value option, and not only that it's also the most reliable and least frustrating. Because these shitty streaming services are so opaque about what they have available on their platform outside of their own original self made content that you don't even know which service to open if your looking for some classic film or kids film, or old series of a tv show. On which one of these 5 subscription sites do I need to look to put on Home Alone for my kid to watch? Hope you guessed the right site first otherwise that's ten annoying minutes wasted flicking through all of them.

A customer experience that would have only been good if it had complete market share and all content available.

Why don't you just use one of the many websites where you enter the title of the movie/show and it tells you where you can stream it? Takes like a few seconds. I use https://www.justwatch.com/

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

What the fuck is YouTube TV? 

It's a cable alternative in the US - you stream the channels through the internet & it's got a really good DVR + search function. In San Diego it's probably the best priced option for getting the channels people would want to watch, especially compared to the normal cable providers. And unlike other streaming TV services, it's got a really good interface.

My parents are visiting right now and they're pretty fucking jealous they don't get it back home. Which is understandable.

I've got:

• YouTube TV
  • AmazonPrime
  • Netflix (also free with my mobile service)
  • Disney+/ESPN/Hulu
  • Xbox Ultimate Gamepass
  • Spotify

And I think that's everything.

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Why don't you just use one of the many websites where you enter the title of the movie/show and it tells you where you can stream it? Takes like a few seconds. I use https://www.justwatch.com/

It never occurred to me to look for an app for this. I had looked for websites many times though and the best I could find were still total rubbish or they were good but didn't cater to Australia.

That site you just sent is light years ahead of the ones I had seen.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's a cable alternative in the US - you stream the channels through the internet & it's got a really good DVR + search function. In San Diego it's probably the best priced option for getting the channels people would want to watch, especially compared to the normal cable providers. And unlike other streaming TV services, it's got a really good interface.

My parents are visiting right now and they're pretty fucking jealous they don't get it back home. Which is understandable.

I've got:

• YouTube TV
  • AmazonPrime
  • Netflix (also free with my mobile service)
  • Disney+/ESPN/Hulu
  • Xbox Ultimate Gamepass
  • Spotify

And I think that's everything.

I forgot about Xbox. Add me 

• Subscriber

Subscriptions

• Prime (Yearly)
  • Netflix
  • PSN+ (Yearly)
  • Hotstar (Only way to watch PL games) - Free as my sister does work with them
  • Sony LIV (Only decent way to watch CL/EL games)
  • Apple Music
  • The Athletic (Yearly)

I do like the fact that these models allow you to get in and get out when you essentially want to. If you want to catch a show on your favorite platform then its quite cheap to say I want lets say Hotstar for a month and its a pittance to really just pay for it watch what you want and get out. Over the years my online mag subscriptions have also gone away as I find yearly alternatives like Zinio for consuming what I want (Time/Newsweek/etc).

Plus, the company I work for pays for a lot of my dev subscriptions so its just a matter of asking for it, validating the reason and then you're off. In the old days you'd have to get a piece of software then buy licenses and for mid-to-small size businesses that was such a pain to maintain. 

Archived