talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Drive to Survive Series - Netflix

football forum

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the first epide. Great start. Steiner roasting Grosjean throughout the end of the episode was amazing. :D

Just started Episode 2, if focuses on Haas and even features William Storey as a proper protagonist. This is going to be good. 

23 minutes ago, nudge said:

YbC0mQP.jpg

Well that worked out well xD 

The whole ending of Episode 2 was amazing too. Kevin slamming the door in Günther's office, and then Günther going after him. Loved it. Haas are... an interesting team. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The whole ending of Episode 2 was amazing too. Kevin slamming the door in Günther's office, and then Günther going after him. Loved it. Haas are... an interesting team. 

My viewing was interrupted unexpectedly so I'm not done with Episode 2 yet :ph34r:

• Subscriber

I love the series but the one thing I find really jarring is that extra commentary they put in that's blatantly been edited in during production to fit the episode's storytelling and definitely wasn't real commentary that happened at the time. E.g. they had a race start where the commentator was shouting about Magnussen going down the inside when he was 14th, yeah right.

• Subscriber

I've made it to 8 episodes:

Episode 1:

Underwhelming really, can barely remember what happened besides them focusing on Ricciardo and Haas in the Australian GP

Episode 2:

More interesting, I'm surprised how much they let of the fallout after the Silverstone crash into the documentary, although Magnussen has come out today and said they kept the really bad stuff out of it! Steiner must have needed a lot of talking down after that. He's a tall guy and with that temper I wouldn't want to be getting on the wrong side of him. I was hoping to hear more about the Rich Energy situation but it turns out that they really did just pull their funding. It seems amateurish from Haas though to end up in a situation where they've had the energy drink on the car for half a season but not seen a penny of the £35 million? Surely that's some sort of breach of contract?

Episode 3:

Slightly odd how they painted some sort of rivalry between Ricciardo and Sainz because it was Danny who took Carlos' seat. Meh. I suppose they were the two leading lights of the midfield here. I would have liked to see more of Sainz and Norris' relationship behind the scenes, and heard more from Zak Brown who came across as very likeable in the first season. In fact, a wider focus on McLaren would be cool, I'm interested to see how they're working compared to the more competitive teams on a similar budget but knowing them, they're probably drawing a few red lines because of the preciousness of their organisation in general. Carlos Sainz comes across as very likeable anyway.

Episode 4:

This was the one about Mercedes at the German GP. I have to say Lewis Hamilton came across really well here again, battling through that illness which I can't remember him making much of an issue of it at the time which would have been easy to do. He completely blamed himself for the mistake after the race as well. Having spent most of his career not really liking him that much I continue to warm to him over the past two years or so. Also liked the stuff about Toto and Niki's friendship. This episode wouldn't have been half as good if they hadn't picked Mercedes' worst race of the season to spend the weekend with them. A boring routine win would have been meh.

Episode 5: 

This was the episode about Gasly predominantly. I really feel for him. Horner is ruthless in that he admits Gasly was promoted at a far from ideal time but he's also right that the top drivers either tread water or don't. You can't see many of the race-winning drivers over the past 20 years or so struggling that much even in the very difficult circumstances of having the spotlight on you that early and having a team-mate like Max. Maybe Felipe Massa would have struggled that early in his career if he'd have been put against Schumacher or Alonso in a top car? Surprised how little of Max Verstappen there has been in the series. 

Episode 6:

Alex Albon is a very likeable young man. I had no idea about his mother's back story and the impact it had on his career. It's astonishing really that he managed to recover from that. Also interesting how he openly admits had he not had his Thai heritage he may have been unable to find the sponsorship to get back into motor racing. This was the one that covered the death of Hubert at Spa as well which was very sad, but I'm glad they didn't milk it too much.

Episode 7: 

This one followed Ferrari and the Leclerc-Vettel dynamic. I was excited for this but I ended up feeling underwhelmed. They told the story without getting to the climax of their collision in Brazil which I find strange, but it looks like that will be covered in one of the last two episodes. They seem to have a stronger personal relationship off the track than I thought but I had forgotten how blatant Vettel's manipulation of the situation in Russia was and how harsh on Leclerc the strategy was in Singapore. Strangely, given that Leclerc said he was very clear when he joined that he was no. 2 and Vettel was no. 1 and the fact that Ferrari openly admit they've designed their 2020 car around Seb leads me to believe that they're going to try and stick with that structure. Very strange if so because I really think they should start with two equal drivers and back the leading horse later on if the championship is realistic.

Episode 8:

Hulkenberg's episode. I feel sorry for him but he has at least had a decade in the sport and without scoring a podium I still think he can't have too many complaints about losing the seat. Watching him pick his way through the pack in Germany when you know what's coming was painful though. Cyril came across as a bit of a cocky twat in the 2018 documentary, but he was a lot more balanced and likeable this time around. While I love Daniel Ricciardo, I have felt at points during this series that he's starting to play up to the cameras a bit too much. He's naturally a funny and loveable guy so he doesn't need to try as hard to make jokes as he seems to at times, but maybe I'm being hyper-critical.

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, nudge said:

Seriously, with everything that happened last season, this should be very entertaining. Covid, Gasly's win, Hülkenback, Grosjean's crash, Perez win, Russell's race at Mercedes etc. Can't wait! 

• 2 weeks later...

Loved S1, thought S2 was forgettable but really looking forward to this one, the trailer alone suggest that there's plenty to go at :D. I really took to Gasly following S2 (as I didn't really fancy him beforehand) so hopefully will see someone else in a good light this time around. 

Not ready for George Russell's episode though, that Bahrain race crushed me.

20 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I really took to Gasly following S2

Same. He seemed so vulnerable and sensitive. His win last season made me so happy for him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the first episode, my dislike for the Stroll's has already grown. Arrogance is a trait that really gets under my skin and they have it in abundance, gutted that they were the ones to resurrect Aston Martin (as I'd have loved to support them). 

Said it at the time, but crazy how even with positive coronavirus cases people were pushing for the Australian GP to go ahead - total insanity.

• The title was changed to Drive to Survive Series - Netflix

Archived