talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Drive to Survive Series - Netflix

football forum

• Subscriber

The one thing that still bothers me about Hamilton - I don't know if any of the other British-born folks feel the same - is the fake American accent. I've generally always supported him as 'our guy' even if I was lukewarm on him as a personality, but I've really warmed to him more in the last few years. The one thing that still irks me though is how he speaks with a Hollywood accent. It's as if he decided at some point that it was better for the Lewis Hamilton brand and I can't help but notice it when he interviews. He didn't speak like that at the start of his career and I don't like it because it comes across to me at least as a little bit fake.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The one thing that still bothers me about Hamilton - I don't know if any of the other British-born folks feel the same - is the fake American accent. I've generally always supported him as 'our guy' even if I was lukewarm on him as a personality, but I've really warmed to him more in the last few years. The one thing that still irks me though is how he speaks with a Hollywood accent. It's as if he decided at some point that it was better for the Lewis Hamilton brand and I can't help but notice it when he interviews. He didn't speak like that at the start of his career and I don't like it because it comes across to me at least as a little bit fake.

He's had that cringy accent for years now. It just won't budge lol.

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Yeah - not to gang up against you, but I also disagree. 

That no bullshit, direct, keep your head down and work hard attitude resonates with me well. Probably more so because I live in a country where people love to tweet each and every minor victory within their lives, that I find those who work hard, grind, excel, and keep going more towards my liking. Of course, my family being half American, half Russian, also probably is another example of two vastly different cultures in this regard, and for that, I would say that I much more align to my Russian family, whereas 2 of my sister's are on the other side. 

I get you, but my comment has nothing to do with his driving.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

It's a pity that the Ziggo documentary on Max is only available in Holland and has no English subtitles; it's great in showing the side of him people don't get to see.

But then again, it's all subjective and we all have our sympathies and antipathies... 

I'll learn Dutch this weekend.

16 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I get you, but my comment has nothing to do with his driving.

No but his personality, which is where my comment was meant to be about. His personality is one that comes off a hyper focused on his job, so does that maybe bore some people because he's not a prankster or asking Lando about his pubes? Maybe...but I honestly prefer Max's personality then some of the others on the grid. 

Take Gio for instance. Talk about a forgettable driver with what appears a missing personality? 😄

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Lies!

But honestly, I disagree. Additionally to what nudge said, I think his background, being raised by a demanding and aggressive father etc. makes him more interesting too. 

kMvnFbJ.png

A man after my own heart xD 

Max is honestly one of the most entertaining sports personalities. Like nudge said, a lot of it can be lost in translation. He occasionally appears on talkshows, interviews and documentaries on Ziggo and he's rare in that he's always honest and gives his take on all things race-related instead of blurting out the same old platitudes like 99% of sports personalities. There's also the risk of cultural misunderstandings as the no bullshit approach can be interpreted as arrogance if you're from a more nuanced culture (see speed skater Sven Kramer's interview with NBC). But saying Max has no personality is a display of either ignorance or fanboyism.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Can't wait to get half the exposition delivered to me through clearly fake commentary.

"Oooh and look at Tsunoda with a decent start from 15th place, he's already passed Stroll before the first corner!" - genuine commentary from David Croft in the opening 5 seconds of a Grand Prix. :ph34r:

I'm about to finish Season 1, and yes I know I'm way behind.

My initial takeaways through the first 8 episodes:

I like Esteban Ocon.  I feel like he got shafted at Racing Point India.  I know he's since back and will race for Renault/Alpine in 2022 so now I'm excited to see what happens in S2 and S3. 

I like Alonso.  He is somewhat portrayed as a control freak for Renault... not sure how that will play out but it seems to me he's earned the right to provide input?  

Geunther Steiner's "I'm fucking speechless" when Grosjean wrecks in Monaco while warming up his tires had me literally lol'd.

I don't like Red Bull.  Probably tainted because I hate RB Leipzig.  I'm glad Ricciardo left them.  Verstappen seems like a prick. 

I was rooting for India Force (small budget/decent returns) up until they chose Perez over Ocon.  Perez seems like a prick.  Lance Stroll seems like a rich boy punkass who's daddy bought him the right to drive.  Is he any good?  I guess it remains to be seen.

I feel sorry for Williams.  I feel sorry for Grosjean.  

3 episodes into Season 2 and still no discussion on Ferrari or Mercedes.  If I have a complaint about the show it's that they're spending a whole lot of time covering the midfield teams (presumably because that's where the drama is).  

9 minutes ago, Coma said:

3 episodes into Season 2 and still no discussion on Ferrari or Mercedes.  If I have a complaint about the show it's that they're spending a whole lot of time covering the midfield teams (presumably because that's where the drama is).  

Ferrari features in Season 3, if I remember correctly. Ferrari are very strict when it comes to media and publicity, so they usually don't do anything outside their own bubble. So it was a surprise to see them in it at all. 

Mercedes are in Episode 4 of Season 2. It's juicy. 

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Ferrari features in Season 3, if I remember correctly. Ferrari are very strict when it comes to media and publicity, so they usually don't do anything outside their own bubble. So it was a surprise to see them in it at all. 

I think I've counted up into the 100's for the number of times Steiner has said "fuck" in this series.  Spending way too much time on Haas IMO.

On 25/02/2022 at 06:56, Tommy said:

Very good episode.  I went into not liking Mercedes or Lewis Hamilton much but I came out thinking he is a really nice guy.  Also like Bottas.

Archived