talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Drive to Survive Series - Netflix

football forum

37 minutes ago, Panflute said:

First scene after the intro and it's fucking Steiner again. :clown:

Bruh, just watching the first episode a bit. You missed the best part. Günther in a Fiat 500 with Mattia Binotto driving in the mountains. I'm sold.

ARBoaZt.png

That is the buddy road trip movie of my dreams. xD

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Bruh, just watching the first episode a bit. You missed the best part. Günther in a Fiat 500 with Mattia Binotto driving in the mountains. I'm sold.

ARBoaZt.png

That is the buddy road trip movie of my dreams. xD

I saw it. Truly tired of Steiner. Yeah your team sucks and you swear a lot, get a new personality please. 😴

Episode 7 is also kind of weird in that the narrative it creates is not at all like what I remember actually happened.

It builds up to Monaco as if that's the make-or-break race for Checo, when in reality, by then, he had already gotten a pole position, he had a bunch of podiums, and he'd seen a possible victory in Saudi Arabia disappear mainly due to strategy/bad luck. His contract was already secure in Monaco, as was evidenced by his comment to Horner right after the race (something along the lines of "maybe I should've asked for more"). He was even considered by some to be a championship contender until his mid-season slump hit and Max just took off.

I'm also unsure about Red Bull's reputation for being ruthless with its drivers. Yeah, they go through many drivers, but when you look at it, Albon and Gasly are both still in F1 mainly thanks to Red Bull, and they were also the ones to throw both Pérez and Ricciardo a lifeline whereas those drivers would likely have left the sport entirely without Red Bull. Yuki going into his third season at AlphaTauri also doesn't fit the narrative that Marko & co. just ditch anyone who doesn't perform immediately.

6 hours ago, nudge said:

I'm tempted to watch it again. Does it have enough of lip-smacking by Buxton?

One of the first things he says is: “Starting first means you have the other 19 drivers behind you” xD

But episode 1 already had a lot of funny scenes. 

One was where Russell said the Mercedes looks fast, and then gets mocked by other drivers about how the car looks. 

They are standing infront of the Mercedes and Vettel says it looks shit, like you drop dough and it goes "pffftttrrrr" and then Leclerc comes into frame "George....what is THAT?" xD

13 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I've got up to the Yuki Tsunoda episode. I'll be honest I wanted more beef.

Yuki and beef i once sentence, I thought you were talking about food. 

Finished watching the season. It's definitely better than season 4 imo. The last 2 episodes of that season were super weird due to Verstappen's absence. They also seemed to have toned down the invented narratives and drama a bit, although that episode about Pérez in Monaco was still pure fantasy. They seemed to have embraced the fact that Steiner has to be at the center of at least 1-2 episodes each season, but I really hope they'll be able to move on from that broken record eventually.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Christian Horner saying they overspent by 400k is weird. Surely the producers should have pulled him up on the actual number?

If Red Bull had included the unclaimed tax credit in their budget report, then the breach would have indeed been only 400k, so I guess it's technically true.

Here's my thoughts:

- When I heard the quote: "Every driver wants to win qualifying so you have nineteen other drivers behind you" I knew this programme was geared towards me.

- Haas seem like the type of team you want to see have bad things happen to them just to see Gunther Steiner's reaction.

- I'm glad I didn't find out until afterwards that Mattia lost his job as that opening scene when he's drinking wine reflecting with Gunther on how good life is would have been incredibly sad.

- Christian Horner is so smarmy. You can tell he loves the cameras. I reckon he had a bucket list in the 90's that included marrying a Spice Girl and being a television star.

- When Christian Horner said "shall we not do this in front of the cameras" you know he was secretly thinking "yeah yeah yeah let's do this infront of the cameras F U Mercedes".

- Netflix have balls of grapefruits when it comes to Red Bull. The only beef I knew of was Verstappen's mum was calling out Perez for being unfaithful after Verstappen did not lett him past in the final race. Yet they told us about Perez being a family man for no particular reason as it didn't further any story.

- The Schumacher episode was a let down. There's so much story depth they could have gone in to but they just portrayed him as a bad driver.

- Otmar seems like a great guy. The type of manager that will put his arm round your shoulder when you're having a bad day. Go you, Otmar. 

- If Christian Horner owned the bad guy persona like Fernando Alonso does he'd become far more likeable.

- George Russell wasn't the boring flid others portrayed him as.

- Lando Norris is likeable but you can see the media in this country turning on him if he ever did have continued success 

- Zak Brown reminds me of one of those stereotypical fat loud Hollywood directors you see in American movies that you don't wish any good luck towards.

- Baseing the AlphaTauri episode on the Japanese GP seemed like a great idea, until they didn't mention the Gasly Tractor incident at all.

- Yuki Tsonda deserves extra points for being the only race driver not to turn down cake.

- According to Netflix the missile attack before the Abu Dhabi GP wasnt worthy of inclusion. Thankfully we have to those crazy Spanish videos @RandoEFC showed us in the meme thread giving us accurate portrayals of everything that happened.

- I want to know what this Red Bull 400k catering looks like.

- I can't comment on Bottas or Ocon because, according to Netflix, they don't exist.

- The choice to base the last episode around Daniel Riccardo when racing legend SEBASTIAN VETTELL HAD JUST RETIRED was, well, weird.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

- Yuki Tsonda deserves extra points for being the only race driver not to turn down cake.

Yea, in almost every interview where other drivers usually talk about racing, their training regime or their dream of becoming World Champion, he usually talks about food or his dream of owning a restaurant one day. Yuki is purely food motivated. 

I think the Schumacher episode did confirm to a degree that he was mismanaged by Steiner/Haas. I know F1 has this reputation of being a ruthless business, but if a talented driver is underperforming due to confidence issues, further chipping away at his confidence by pressuring him through public statements and borderline humiliating him through team radio is not going to improve the team's results. Even if we ignore the human aspect, it just seems counterproductive purely from the point of view of honing your team's assets, and it's one of the reasons I have 0 sympathy for Steiner or Haas.

Archived