• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Drive to Survive Series - Netflix

football forum

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I finished season 3 yesterday. I've found this series less enjoyable with each added instalment. The behind the scenes stuff is cool and it's nice to relive the big moments from last year but either the novelty has just worn off for me or they've continued to dilute those parts more and more with all of the fake drama. It's really grating when the commentary voice changes to that high pitched guy who is blatantly just edited in "as live". Sometimes it's necessary but other times they just invent drama. There was an example of it late on where Perez was on course for 3rd in Bahrain, and he had pitted for tyres and was cruising past some others who hadn't pitted but they made it out as if he was fighting his way through the field.

Then again, this series isn't aimed at me/us, it's aimed at the casual fan who feeds off cheap drama and I suppose it isn't ruined for them if they don't know or remember details like I've mentioned in my example.

I'll continue to watch it but I hope they swing back towards behind the scenes stuff. I'm struggling to trust even the good bits now though, you can tell there are times where they fed lines to Jennie Gow and the Autosport guy for the purpose of making their chosen narrative flow more smoothly in the documentary. I fully expect to see companies like Netflix manipulate events and interviews to improve the show but there was too much dishonest and disingenuous editing for me this time and I expect it to get worse.

• Subscriber

It did well to attract new, young fans, especially in the US, so it's obviously serving its purpose. Personally, I think that they focus on the wrong side of the sport; the fake drama and made-up artificial narratives are cringeworthy, and I would prefer more in-depth technical/engineering insights, but as @RandoEFC said, we're not the target audience here...

There's a similar format series on F1TV about F2 called Chasing the Dream - a much more balanced and better watch, imo.

MotoGP riders want their own series now too, haha.

Ok, finished Drive to Survive. Have nothing to add to what you guys said. Most of it is over the top, artificial and just there to make F1 look as exciting as possible.

Zak Brown is a cool guy though. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yesterday I watched the Grosjean episode. They made it look like he was in the flames for hours. xD 

1 minute ago, Whiskey said:

I genuinely laughed out loud when Horner rang up Sergio Perez, Netflix made it look as though he was cheating on Albon or something xD

Yeah these two scenes along with the nonsense about Norris and Sainz were particularly egregious when we know how far removed they are from reality.

Here's the Grosjean crash how they showed it on Drive to Survive. I love how they edited Grosjean's "fuck" from another team radio in before he hits the barrier. Cringe at its best. xD

I didn't mind the Grosjean episode, I think that they showed it in the serious nature that it was. It's only a miracle that he's still alive and that's not just a figure of speech, to survive a combination of your own car ripping in half, being planted 100mph+ into barriers and being stuck in there with engulfing flames is a nailed on death sentence. He would have been lucky to get away from that with a missing limb or severe burns whereas in the end he limps away with minor hand injuries (which still to this day amazes me - someone was looking down on him that day).

The editing of the radio if true is cringe and a bit disrespectful (I missed that first time around) and some of the series like I mentioned earlier is a bit awkward, mostly the fake Sainz/Norris beef but I thought they did alright with the Grosjean crash. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Drive to Survive Series - Netflix
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

This season’s push by Verstappen has given F1 one of its most enthralling title races in years. And yet Verstappen is a bit of a mystery in the U.S., in part because he’s chosen not to participate in the popular Netflix “Drive to Survive” docuseries that has captivated American racing fans.

“I understand that it needs to be done to boost the popularity in America,” Verstappen told The Associated Press ahead of Sunday’s race. “But from my side as a driver, I don’t like being part of it.”

Verstappen said when he participated in interviews in earlier seasons of the show, the quotes were later applied to situations he was not discussing and “they would fake a lot of stuff.”

“They faked a few rivalries which don’t really exist,” he said. “So I decided to not be a part of it and did not give any more interviews after that because then there is nothing you can show. I am not really a dramatic show kind of person, I just want facts and real things to happen.”

So are Verstappen and Hamilton even rivals at all?

“Probably in the Netflix show we will be,” he said. “We one time bumped into each other walking, so probably that will be in there.”

https://apnews.com/article/sports-austin-texas-north-america-formula-one-1d9773b69ee9bd62d47a27d81310549a

😂

28 minutes ago, nudge said:

This season’s push by Verstappen has given F1 one of its most enthralling title races in years. And yet Verstappen is a bit of a mystery in the U.S., in part because he’s chosen not to participate in the popular Netflix “Drive to Survive” docuseries that has captivated American racing fans.

“I understand that it needs to be done to boost the popularity in America,” Verstappen told The Associated Press ahead of Sunday’s race. “But from my side as a driver, I don’t like being part of it.”

Verstappen said when he participated in interviews in earlier seasons of the show, the quotes were later applied to situations he was not discussing and “they would fake a lot of stuff.”

“They faked a few rivalries which don’t really exist,” he said. “So I decided to not be a part of it and did not give any more interviews after that because then there is nothing you can show. I am not really a dramatic show kind of person, I just want facts and real things to happen.”

“Probably in the Netflix show we will be,” he said. “We one time bumped into each other walking, so probably that will be in there.”

https://apnews.com/article/sports-austin-texas-north-america-formula-one-1d9773b69ee9bd62d47a27d81310549a

😂

Be8ny honest, Max has the personality and charisma of sand paper.

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, nudge said:

😂

Fair play to him for calling it out. There's about 100 videos on Youtube called "How Drive To Survive will portray Hamilton and Verstappen's crash at Silverstone" and some of them are really hilarious.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I personally disagree, for me he's probably the most appealing and interesting personality on the grid. I generally like the no-bullshit, direct, outspoken but reserved characters with a certain level of confidence who don't care what people think. For me he's typical Dutch; the way he talks and behaves in public. So I think a lot of it - especially the sense of humour - is lost in his English interviews and appearances.

28 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Lies!

But honestly, I disagree. Additionally to what nudge said, I think his background, being raised by a demanding and aggressive father etc. makes him more interesting too. 

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

I personally disagree, for me he's probably the most appealing and interesting personality on the grid. I generally like the no-bullshit, direct, outspoken but reserved characters with a certain level of confidence who don't care what people think. For me he's typical Dutch; the way he talks and behaves in public. So I think a lot of it - especially the sense of humour - is lost in his English interviews and appearances.

Each to their own. Outside racing I found his most entertaining moment to be when he was pushing Ocon. It helped that I couldn't hear what he was saying 🙂

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I'll watch some of his interviews in his own lingo with subs. See if that helps.

It's a pity that the Ziggo documentary on Max is only available in Holland and has no English subtitles; it's great in showing the side of him people don't get to see.

But then again, it's all subjective and we all have our sympathies and antipathies... 

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Yeah - not to gang up against you, but I also disagree. 

That no bullshit, direct, keep your head down and work hard attitude resonates with me well. Probably more so because I live in a country where people love to tweet each and every minor victory within their lives, that I find those who work hard, grind, excel, and keep going more towards my liking. Of course, my family being half American, half Russian, also probably is another example of two vastly different cultures in this regard, and for that, I would say that I much more align to my Russian family, whereas 2 of my sister's are on the other side. 

Archived