talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Drive to Survive Series - Netflix

football forum

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm halfway through Season 3 and I've noticed that there has been no mention of Alfa Romeo/Sauber in this series at all.  There is some speculation that there just wasn't any drama in the team so it wouldn't make for good television.  Anyone have any insight on this?  

From all the things I've read they seem to be consistently mid-lower table but they have a big name and a relatively big history in the sport.  

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Coma said:

So I'm halfway through Season 3 and I've noticed that there has been no mention of Alfa Romeo/Sauber in this series at all.  There is some speculation that there just wasn't any drama in the team so it wouldn't make for good television.  Anyone have any insight on this?  

From all the things I've read they seem to be consistently mid-lower table but they have a big name and a relatively big history in the sport.  

The original Alfa Romeo team won some championships when the actual World Championship started in 1950 including the inaugural one, so they're famous for that. They have had a couple of "comebacks" since including this one but never done anything particularly interesting.

The team they took over this time is called Sauber. They've been a plucky midfield team since the 1990s, have a few famous underdog podium performances and have a reputation for giving F1 debuts to many drivers who went on to be successful in the sport, including Raikkonen, Massa, Heidfeld, Kubica, Perez, even Vettel did his first race in a Sauber.

They peaked in 2007-2008 when they were partnered with BMW. During those seasons they were the 3rd best team behind McLaren and Ferrari. Kubica won a race in 2008 and could have competed for the championship, but BMW had a five year plan which involved winning a race that year, and winning the championship the year after, so they made the nonsensical decision to stop trying in 2008 when Kubica was leading the Driver's Championship and focus on the major rule change for 2009 early. The 2009 car was rubbish though and BMW pulled out soon after. Since then, the team have been Sauber, and then Alfa Romeo, and consistently just not been very interesting because they've pretty much sloshed around as one of the bottom three teams but not quite the worst for the best part of a decade now.

• Subscriber

Alfa Romeo didn't take over, they are just a glorified title sponsor and pay for Sauber's F1 entry to be named after them. They are not involved in any other way, they did not buy any stakes, they do not own the team, and have no personell working for them. The team itself still belongs to and is operated by Sauber Motorsport AG, which is owned by Longbow Finance after they bought it off Peter Sauber a few years ago. 

5 hours ago, nudge said:

Alfa Romeo didn't take over, they are just a glorified title sponsor and pay for Sauber's F1 entry to be named after them. They are not involved in any other way, they did not buy any stakes, they do not own the team, and have no personell working for them. The team itself still belongs to and is operated by Sauber Motorsport AG, which is owned by Longbow Finance after they bought it off Peter Sauber a few years ago. 

I love that they still keep the C when they name their new car. The C stands for Peter Sauber's wife's first name Christiane. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I love that they still keep the C when they name their new car. The C stands for Peter Sauber's wife's first name Christiane. 

I wish someone would name a racing car after me... 😍 xD 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Now at episode 3 and I already want to hang myself after hearing all that fake commentary.

They also have a new weird thing where team principals go into this weird elevated box with a few screens to film clearly staged reaction clips to suit the footage. I've seen Zak Brown and Christian Horner in there so far and apparently Horner spent the entire Monaco Grand Prix running between this weird box and the actual real life pit wall.

The editing this season has been weird so far, just halfway through Episode 3.

I just started. I like how Mazepin said "Nikita Mazepin, Haas F1 team", and then the Netflix guy asks him if he can do it in Russian, and he just goes "yea.... Nikita Mazepin, Haas F1 team" in a slightly more Russian accent. xD

On 11/03/2022 at 22:14, Tommy said:

I just started. I like how Mazepin said "Nikita Mazepin, Haas F1 team", and then the Netflix guy asks him if he can do it in Russian, and he just goes "yea.... Nikita Mazepin, Haas F1 team" in a slightly more Russian accent. xD

Nikitchh Mashephin, Hash F1 Theam.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Every single one of Will Buxton's takes is '[x] HAS to perform this year, or their future will be uncertain.'

Genuinely every one of his lines is what he's been asked to read out by Netflix. Not actual opinion or insight.

Fake Drive to Survive commentary be like

It's starting to rain now, which means the track will get slippery and it will be harder for the drivers to find grip. They might have to make a pitstop to change their tyres!

• Subscriber

I quite enjoyed the Tsunoda stuff. The pretending that Tsunoda vs Ocon for 13th place at Paul Ricard was some massive deal wasn't as bad as I'd heard. I quite enjoyed the Williams stuff as well.

The behind the scenes stuff seems not quite as good this year though. In the first couple of seasons it felt really detailed and insightful. I don't know if it's because the production has got a bit lazier or they've prioritised the fake drama aspects even more, or that the teams and drivers have got a bit more wary of what they say on camera, but now it seems like they're giving it a bit of lip service and just focusing on the on-track footage which makes it more like a season review than a fly-on-the-wall docuseries.

Finished watching it just now and it wasn't as spectacular as I thought it'd be. The last 2 episodes in particular don't really provide any additional insight and like Rando said feel more like a dramatized season review than anything else.

My favorite bits of the season were perhaps the 'smaller' stories, such as the struggle for points at Williams or Yuki's move to Italy. I think the juiciest info in this season is how much pressure Dmitry Mazepin put on Haas to the point of threatening to withdraw his sponsorship. I don't know if that was common knowledge (I wasn't aware of it), but to see it laid out that openly felt quite unusual.

One thing I was very curious about was how they were going to talk about the title fight knowing that Max doesn't cooperate with the producers. And the conclusion is... well, it really hurt them. It's just so awkward hearing Lewis do his usual talk about having a target on his back and commenting on specific instances, while Max just has a few random sound clips playing from stuff he said in other interviews. So essentially what we got was just some glorified race summaries.

Also I'm just processing this but for sure the weirdest observation of the series was that 'What Fernano Alonso is to Alpine, Pierre Gasly is to Alpha Tauri.' All respect to Gasly, but Alonso is a 2x WDC and the oldest, most experienced driver on the grid. 😂

Then they went on to basically portray Ocon as a rookie.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Also I'm just processing this but for sure the weirdest observation of the series was that 'What Fernano Alonso is to Alpine, Pierre Gasly is to Alpha Tauri.' All respect to Gasly, but Alonso is a 2x WDC and the oldest, most experienced driver on the grid. 😂

Then they went on to basically portray Ocon as a rookie.

Yeah that was weird. Gasly and "Alpine junior driver" Ocon have more or less the same level of experience xD.

Just watching the Haas episode, and Günther makes me laugh. "My dream has come true, I'm in the Aldi brochure." xD

Edit: Jesus fucking Christ. Haas must be so relieved to have the Mazepins out. What a bunch of wankers. 

What an episode. Did Dimitry Mazepin pay Netflix for that narrative? Making Nikita look like a hero for switching to inters early, to still finish last but being praised for "finishing ahead of Latifi and Mick" who DNF'ed. 

Archived