The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 29th Feb - 1st March, 2020

football forum

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Well it's just started pissing down, let's hope the ref abandons the game.. xD

Looking at other areas of the pitch as well. Kovacic and Jorginho either look really good or ineffective. Their games aren’t helped by the fact that the quality in front of them is poor at the moment but some of their positive performances this season perhaps paper over a good portion of games where they’ve been average. Our bigger problems are in other areas of course but they are both perhaps inconsistent looking at the time in general since they’ve been with us. 

10 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Looking at other areas of the pitch as well. Kovacic and Jorginho either look really good or ineffective. Their games aren’t helped by the fact that the quality in front of them is poor at the moment but some of their positive performances this season perhaps paper over a good portion of games where they’ve been average. Our bigger problems are in other areas of course but they are both perhaps inconsistent looking at the time in general since they’ve been with us. 

Apart from our great early start all the players have had on/off games, can't think of any player that has stood out this season, so inconsistent across the board and it's proved costly both in defence and attack.. The other thing is we don't have any game changers that we can bring on, times like this you really appreciate what Hazard gave to us, when he came on you had a genuine feeling that the game could be turned on it's head but now it seems we swap one player for another making no tactical change to the match at all.... 

4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Apart from our great early start all the players have had on/off games, can't think of any player that has stood out this season, so inconsistent across the board and it's proved costly both in defence and attack.. The other thing is we don't have any game changers that we can bring on, times like this you really appreciate what Hazard gave to us, when he came on you had a genuine feeling that the game could be turned on it's head but now it seems we swap one player for another making no tactical change to the match at all.... 

Yeah mate, exactly. Kovacic, Mount, and Zouma would be my picks for our better players this season but even they have been inconsistent. We've seen enough from some of these more senior players now to know they need moving on if possible and with the young players only time will tell. We've been without some of our better players, Abraham, Kanté, Hudson-Odoi, and Pulisic for a significant period which doesn't help matters, and Ruben is one of our best players who we've been without the whole season but the reality is and has been for a while now that we need better quality in some starting positions and definitely in squad positions. We also seem to accumulate a lot of injuries the last few seasons which is a worry, funny enough that doesn't seem to happen as much when the team is playing well.

We've become for me what Arsenal were in Wenger's last 6-8 years, nice on their day but ultimately defensively suspect and lacking the steel to do any real damage in the competitions available. 

A good point given the circumstances. 

I've tried defending our defenders all season but I've had a hard reality check. They are honestly not good enough. Our previous managers have realised that. 

Conte did his best by implementing a pragmatic system. 

Sarri did his best by implementing a system where we see more off the ball to reduce the amount of chances the opposition create. 

Given Lampard's inexperience, he doesn't know what to do. You can forgive Tomori and James given their age but the performances this season from Dave, Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma, & Emerson have been shambolic. 

34 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Yeah mate, exactly. Kovacic, Mount, and Zouma would be my picks for our better players this season but even they have been inconsistent. We've seen enough from some of these more senior players now to know they need moving on if possible and with the young players only time will tell. We've been without some of our better players, Abraham, Kanté, Hudson-Odoi, and Pulisic for a significant period which doesn't help matters, and Ruben is one of our best players who we've been without the whole season but the reality is and has been for a while now that we need better quality in some starting positions and definitely in squad positions. We also seem to accumulate a lot of injuries the last few seasons which is a worry, funny enough that doesn't seem to happen as much when the team is playing well.

We've become for me what Arsenal were in Wenger's last 6-8 years, nice on their day but ultimately defensively suspect and lacking the steel to do any real damage in the competitions available. 

That has made a big difference to us across the season, especially Pulisic who we have high hopes for but as you say not really played much of a part this season, CHO looked a little rusty when he was back and I do think we miss the strength of Reuben Loftus-Cheek so it's been a bit of an up and down season so far... As for the younger players we will have to see, but if we look at the likes of Barkley he has his moments but never seems to make decent solid progress, Like with all players they reach a certain level that they can't go beyond, some are like Hazard who is a game changer and others are like Barkley who are average but not top 6 material for me.. 

20 minutes ago, Cicero said:

A good point given the circumstances. 

I've tried defending our defenders all season but I've had a hard reality check. They are honestly not good enough. Our previous managers have realised that. 

Conte did his best by implementing a pragmatic system. 

Sarri did his best by implementing a system where we see more off the ball to reduce the amount of chances the opposition create. 

Given Lampard's inexperience, he doesn't know what to do. You can forgive Tomori and James given their age but the performances this season from Dave, Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma, & Emerson have been shambolic. 

We knew it could be telling across the season but as I mentioned earlier it always feels as though we are just swapping players out hoping they can make a difference rather than being able to bring someone on who will make a difference.. To be in 4th with this squad though that is clearly miles behind the likes of Liverpool and City is probably fairly decent but then you also have to take on board that the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and United have been well off the pace and maybe has us in a position that flatters us a lot... It's Lampard's first season and it was always going to be a mixed bag, going to have to see what happens over the summer with ins and outs... 

Wolves equalise!! Who else but Diogo Jota scores! 

Jota scores with a  tap in after a brilliant team goal. Traore did ever so well and the wolves players passing was excellent after that which ended with a tap in by Jota.

Goal Wolves!! Raul Jimenez scores to give Wolves the lead!! 

Diogo Jota made a superb run before putting Jimenez through on goal with a brilliant pass to score. Jota has been superb for Wolves once again.

Wolves now lead.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator

Jota's hit the same kind of form that he was hitting last season. Think he had injuries start of this season but it's a timely return for Wolves given he's also producing in the EL as well.

Archived