talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

No other way really. This virus is apparently going to hit its peak in June/July by which time the new season will be about ready start. 

As I said in the other thread.. just scrap this season and start again when the virus has been dealt with.

I just don't think I can get emotionally invested in something as pointless as football anymore after this. I feel like I've waited my whole life for this and some stupid dickheads decided that traveling all over the world from where there was a novel virus outbreak took it away from me. I know that it's a matter of public health, which is obviously more important than football, but I just have a feeling the odds of us having a season like the one we're having ever again are pretty low. And look at how City did after a few years of maintaining that sort of pace for two seasons like we were. There's just no way. And to lose the title race to a pandemic, just makes me give up all hope that we'll ever win it.

I'd probably just stop watching, change my team logo on the side of the forum here to Tranmere because I'm a Wirral lad, but chances are I'm not gonna watch their matches anywhere... and I'll just be active on the non-football parts of our football forum xD

I'll start watching again if we're about to win a league title, because I've always wanted to see that. But I'm not putting myself through this shit anymore.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the fair thing to do would be to end the season now BUT give out the awards, promotion, relegation to where the teams are now  ..or start the top team in each league with the extra points gap they have now when football starts again in 2 years :what:

Liverpool being miles ahead in the league really makes it more difficult for them to come up with a solution. If they're awarded the title it opens a massive can of worms as it won't be that accepted to declare a winner all down the leagues.

6 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Conference games are still going ahead aren't they? If so whomever wins the conference will technically be champions of England surely? 

Congratulations Barrow-in-Furness

If Man city were in the conference and won it I could see @Happy Blue   saying they are champions of England 

Think this would have to be the fairest outcome?

Liverpool are champions. 

Top 4 ends how it is. 

United get Europa League (given if Sheffield win their game in hand, they have to make up for a 9 goal differential vs United) 

Two relegated and two promoted. 

Norwich and Villa down, Leeds and West Brom up. 

FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League, are null and void. 

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Liverpool are champions. 

Top 4 ends how it is. 

United get Europa League (given if Sheffield win their game in hand, they have to make up for a 9 goal differential vs United) 

I don't think it can ever be fair. We haven't all played the same opponents. 

A super computer is the fairest way.

19 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Liverpool are champions. 

Top 4 ends how it is. 

I'm not sure if you're fishing or not, but how can that be fairest outcome?

9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure if you're fishing or not, but how can that be fairest outcome?

How is that fishing? There is even a rumor that there is a rule within the FA that if the league suddenly ends and 75% of matches have been played, league positions are final. 

There is obviously no bloody fair outcome and no outcome that won't piss off clubs. I'm saying what I posted is the fairest of a shit bunch. 

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How is that fishing?

There is obviously no bloody fair outcome and no outcome that won't piss off clubs. I'm saying what I posted is the fairest of a shit bunch. 

There's 3 points gap from Man United to Chelsea. 2 points from Villa to 16th, Villa have a game in hand.

They have to give the finishing the season option every chance. Even if that delays the start of a new season. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

There's 3 points gap from Man United to Chelsea. 2 points from Villa to 16th, Villa have a game in hand.

They have to give the finishing the season option every chance. Even if that delays the start of a new season. 

So you've now gone on to avoid the actual premise of my argument? I said if they had to end the league. 

People are still working, the country isn’t coming to a standstill. So why don’t we just play all the remaining games behind closed doors? 

Delay it until the start of May, and have two match days per week until early June. Have the absolute minimum number of staff at each game to minimise the spread. Every match is available to watch on television, but blocked to pubs. Delay next season by a fortnight to make up for it. 

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So you've now gone on to avoid the actual premise of my argument? I said if they had to end the league. 

It's pointless even thinking about it at the moment though. None of us have a clue what the situation will be in a month or two time.

I've said this over and over again, but Chile ending their league due to protests was a blessing in disguise for the world. Now we can take a note in their checkbook and learn from what they did. It was only a few months ago too.

Give Liverpool the title, give the top 4 the qualification and no relegations. Promote the top 2 and no playoff winner. Have a 22 team league with 5 relegations next year and the usual 3 promoted.

No clue what they could do to the rest of the pyramid but at least for the top 2, that's what should be done just as the Chilean federation did.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

People are still working, the country isn’t coming to a standstill. So why don’t we just play all the remaining games behind closed doors? 

Delay it until the start of May, and have two match days per week until early June. Have the absolute minimum number of staff at each game to minimise the spread. Every match is available to watch on television, but blocked to pubs. Delay next season by a fortnight to make up for it. 

I think if it is cancelled that is because the country will be at standstill by May. Highly likely parts of the country will be on complete lockdown soon. 

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I think if it is cancelled that is because the country will be at standstill by May. Highly likely parts of the country will be on complete lockdown soon. 

I think it's a given, many people I know are being told to work from home and self isolate. International travel will likely be barred, cruises are already been strongly advised against

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Liverpool are champions. 

Top 4 ends how it is. 

Ah yes, relegating Aston villa who have a game in hand and can go to 28 pts with a win. The fairest option. 

Scrap. The. Season.

• Subscriber

Nobody should be awarded anything and nobody should be denied anything.

Common sense solution, to me, is to delay this as long as they need to - delay the Euros, and then come up with an alternative solution to get it all completed once it can be played again.

Hopefully in this time, you can get the season and Euros completed in 2020.

The idea then for me is for the 2020/21 season to become the 2021 season, starting in January or February (using January as your transfer window perhaps?).

Then the 2021/22 season then becomes the 2022 season - and the Qatar World Cup naturally follows on from this meaning you don't need to restructure 2022/23 anyway. Once Qatar has happened, you can think of whether it's better to go back to the old format or whether it's better to just stick with this new one = meaning another break of significance.

I don't want to have to pander to Qatar and it would be a huge stroke of luck for them, but sobeit, given that's what's happening you may be able to find a solution to suit both situations.

I appreciate that contracts are likely to be an issue of some form - but find me a better solution.

To prioritise next season, which has 0% completed, over this one which has 75% of it completed is nothing short of insanity and I can't believe people would entertain anything else. To me if you scrap this season the entire sport just isn't serious in the slightest anymore. I know it's funny due to the whole Liverpool & Leeds thing, but in seriousness how could anyone take it seriously ever again?

• The title was changed to Coronavirus & The Premier League

Archived