talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I just don't really get the rush to finish the current season. Just finish it when it's safe to do so and preferably when it's safe for fans to be in the ground

This a million times over, I’ve still got ticket to 3 games at Griffin Park

10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I just don't really get the rush to finish the current season. Just finish it when it's safe to do so and preferably when it's safe for fans to be in the ground

I wouldn't be surprised if fans can't go back to stadiums until next Spring. 

A second peak is expected in winter.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Exactly, I dont know why they keep trying to rush some "plan" through. Nobody can say whether it will be 4 months or 10 months before it's safe to get going again so take it as it comes like everyone else.

The rush to get it done though is all about £$€¥₩. 

Sport is not the most important thing at the moment but how about this for a idea.     If we are in this lock down till the autumn how about resuming fixtures as normal in Oct and Nov, Football and Rugby, and finish the 19/20 season in full.

Then have a nice little break starting the new season in Jan, take a break over the summer for a rest and international tournaments. Resume leagues in Sept with titles won around Christmas. take a month off and start new season end of Jan.

Still playing in same times of the year but just not splitting a season over two yrs as we always have done. so season 2021 is all in 2021 and so it will be for ever. 

not traditional but looks like everything is going to change

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve come up with the only fair solution if the league is voided.

Since giving us the title since we haven’t really mathematically won it isn’t fair, it’s also not fair if we award champions league places to the sides that haven’t yet qualified. So we will be England’s sole representative in the CL next year.

It’s also not fair to keep sides in the league when they aren’t mathematically safe from relegation.

So if you aren’t mathematically safe from relegation, tough titties, you ought to be going down.

So that’s us, Man Cheaty and Leicester in the league next year.

Relegate Man Cheaty down to the conference for cheating, because that’s only fair.

So next season will just be 38 matches between us and Leicester while we wait for 18 sides to get promoted to fill the league up again.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’ve come up with the only fair solution if the league is voided.

Since giving us the title since we haven’t really mathematically won it isn’t fair, it’s also not fair if we award champions league places to the sides that haven’t yet qualified. So we will be England’s sole representative in the CL next year.

It’s also not fair to keep sides in the league when they aren’t mathematically safe from relegation.

So if you aren’t mathematically safe from relegation, tough titties, you ought to be going down.

So that’s us, Man Cheaty and Leicester in the league next year.

Relegate Man Cheaty down to the conference for cheating, because that’s only fair.

So next season will just be 38 matches between us and Leicester while we wait for 18 sides to get promoted to fill the league up again.

Didn't think I'd be alive to see us win our 2nd title but to see it happen again so soon, very unexpected. Fair solution indeed. 10/10.

:D 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Didn't think I'd be alive to see us win our 2nd title but to see it happen again so soon, very unexpected. Fair solution indeed. 10/10.

:D 

I feel like playing each other week in week out would eventually lead to both sides figuring the fuck out of each other. So the last 20 matches would all be draws xD

But that really is the only fair solution if the league is scrapped 

UEFA want a playoff to determine CL and Europa league place. 

City’s ban expected to be upheld, so Liverpool/Leicester/Chelsea already qualify. 

Sheffield vs Wolves. Winner faces United in a one off tie. Winner of that tie gets a CL spot, loser Europa league group stage. 

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

City’s ban expected to be upheld, so Liverpool/Leicester/Chelsea already qualify. 

Sheffield vs Wolves. Winner faces United in a one off tie. Winner of that tie gets a CL spot, loser Europa league group stage. 

Nah Utd shouldn’t be automatically in the one off tie. 

16 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The league’s already said they’re not going with UEFA’s proposal 

42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The league’s already said they’re not going with UEFA’s proposal 

This is already known. Proposal was in the hypothetical the league had to end. 

45 minutes ago, Rick said:

Not much ground for debate given their league position with the season ending. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Rick said:

They're 5th though? By 'merit' they deserve to be in the CL to be honest, given Man City's ban will be upheld.

What I don't understand is if Man City's ban is upheld, 'top 4' would effectively be Liverpool/Leicester/Chelsea/Man Utd, so why can't those 4 automatically go in to CL, and Wolves/Sheff Utd go directly in to EL at whatever stage necessary.

What's the need for a play-off and then a 'final' against Man Utd?

• Subscriber

I think the FA want to make sure they are sending the best clubs they can to the CL. That's why they want the playoff and then the final against United. Either that or Wolves and Sheffield have complained stating no one could truly say that United would have ended up 5th but ... if you go that route then we could argue that the team in third or fourth may not have either. 

This is the problem with adding the word 'merit' to this entire process. It makes zero sense and instead the FA should just say we're closing the season where its at and that is how the CL positions and the EL positions are decided.

• Administrator
Just now, Mel81x said:

I think the FA want to make sure they are sending the best clubs they can to the CL. That's why they want the playoff and then the final against United. Either that or Wolves and Sheffield have complained stating no one could truly say that United would have ended up 5th but ... if you go that route then we could argue that the team in third may not have either. 

Sets a dangerous and immoral prejudice, this. Basically saying they only really want to send any combination of Liverpool/Man City/Man Utd/Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea to the CL. Obviously the financial reasons are a big reason for this but it kind of sends a massive two fingers up to any side that 1) has the audacity to try and break that glass ceiling and 2) actually achieves it. 

And anyway, even if Wolves/Sheff Utd had their one game, the lowest Man Utd would finish (if still in league system) would be 5th, so at the very least they are deserving of a Europa League place if we're using the 'merit' system. 

• The title was changed to Coronavirus & The Premier League

Archived