talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

If the season is cut short, Liverpool should be declared champions. It´s such a huge advantage, any other solutions don´t really make sense. 

In the case of Italy though, I think they should wait and when the crisis is over, Lazio and Juventus should play a final, could be in San Siro, to decide the champion.

Thats what they did in Chile with Universidad Catolica last year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the league was stopped, Liverpool would probably be awarded the title due to them being so far ahead but because they didn't completely go over the line, it probably won't be seen as an actual title win by anyone.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Forget Liverpool winning the title, what about the relegation teams?

This is the issue for me. I'd be fine with them Duckworth-Lewising us the title because we're miles in front, but there would be riots if they relegated teams based on 29 games and maybe some maths. Same with teams further down the pyramid due to go up or down.

You can't write off the season, but it wouldn't be fair to assume results and finish early either. If the situation will allow it, the most sensible thing for me would be to postpone the Euros and finish the domestic leagues in the summer. You can probably sack off the knockout cups

If we're denied promotion now without actually bottling it ourselves, the dog won't be getting fed, the missus will be turfed out and I'll binge on drink and drugs faster than a Japanese racing snake.

Should be declared bankrupt and homeless by the end of the year, just in time for Christmas, where I jump off the tallest building in town as the bells ring for 2021 and die in my thirties.

Football, don't be a cunt. Please.

• Subscriber

They will never do this because theyll try and come up with a one size fits all black and white decision with no common sense allowed but if the league was stopped tomorrow the sensible approach would be to award Liverpool the league, have a relegation playoff or mini league or something for the bottom six, and something similar to decide the rest of the European spots. It's not perfect but it's the least unfair.

Voiding the whole season is unfair on Liverpool and who do you enter for Europe next season? Leicester? Then you haven't voided the season after all. Or reenter last season's European teams? Very unfair on Leicester, Sheff Utd etc.

Taking the table as it is now is unfair on any relegated team or team that misses out on Europe by a few points when they will reckon they could have got over the line with the games they have left. 

My solution is the happy compromise which is less unfair than the alternatives. All hypothetical though.

Word is that games probably from this weekend will be played behind closed doors and you'll be able to stream it from home. No intentions to cancel matches at this stage though looking at Italy we could be there sooner than what it feels like.

If the rest of the season is played behind closed doors then our players will be able to celebrate their glorious league win in front of .... Oh, fucking nobody. No doubt the parade will be cancelled as well so the supporters get to celebrate fuck all.

What a time weve picked to win the league. After all this time we decide the time to do it is during a VAR farcical and a mega virus.

As if football wasnt bad enough. I'm literally nearly done with it I'll be honest.

The way I see it, there's no winning scenario for Liverpool fans against the rest of the country. If they win it by cancelling the season early, then "they only won it because the season was cancelled" but if they don't win it, then we'll never hear the end of how they should have won it because they were so far ahead, like @RandoEFC himself said. At this point, it's not about the football played but I still have to feel for Liverpool fans in some ways.

I can't believe they'd cancel rather than play on behind closed doors tbh.

A third of the world will be locked in solitary confinement in their homes stewing in paranoia and anxiety with only a TV to keep them entertained.

Sport has never been more important.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Harry said:

A third of the world will be locked in solitary confinement in their homes stewing in paranoia and anxiety with only a TV to keep them entertained.

This alone will force TV Networks to force the spending and exert influence on the FA to make the games behind closed doors happen. 

• Subscriber

Wasn't there some super-computer that could predict results before the season started? Just let it decide? 

Note: It would probably give it to us based on form and even if it used last season we'd still win it.

57 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Wasn't there some super-computer that could predict results before the season started? Just let it decide? 

Note: It would probably give it to us based on form and even if it used last season we'd still win it.

What's the point? Whichever way is decided to finish the season, the title win for us is totally ruined if the fans cant actually be there to see it happen.

The players have worked so fucking hard to overcome City and for what? Jordan Henderson, the first Liverpool captain to lift a league trophy in over 3 decades, cant even lift it in front of the Liverpool fans.

Totally pointless winning it if the players, staff and fans cant celebrate it together. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Harry said:

That's quite embarrassing for City. 

Why? 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Have you seen some of the matches played behind closed doors so far? It's terrible. 

Players like Arsenal and Man City may be used to it though :ph34r:

They're not cancelling the season with 9 games left. What do you do when football resumes for a new season?

I'd rather they pushed everything back than play behind closed doors if we're looking at a couple of months or more of disruption

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'd rather they pushed everything back than play behind closed doors if we're looking at a couple of months or more of disruption

Same. Delay the Euros (logistically this would be a nightmare to be fair). 

Start the season later. Sack off clubs going round the world for international friendly competitions. Sack off the national teams playing friendlies on weekends next season to get some time back. 

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

End it now, we would get top four :banana:

If they end it now this season would be wiped off the record  :8_laughing:  ..this current season would just get replayed next year or when ever it's clear to start it again, experts say this virus could be around for 2 years :o

46 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

They're not cancelling the season with 9 games left. What do you do when football resumes for a new season?

They saying it could be 2 years before we get the all clear 

• The title was changed to Coronavirus & The Premier League

Archived