• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

We won't sign anyone for the next 5 years because of it.

Yeah Levy is already using it as an excuse as well - in our record revenue results today which show us bringing in the most money in London.

Obviously Liverpool should be the clear winners but...legally it will be very difficult to award them the title when they haven’t actually won it and then relegate whoever.

Only way for there to be a concrete ending is to play behind closed doors, if that doesn’t happen the season has to be null and void surely?

• Subscriber

You can't award some teams some things and others not and maintain any integrity in the competition - which for me is the vital bit. If Liverpool are awarded it by default it'll forever be with an asterisk and to me, that's ridiculous. Just keep it paused.

I think the 30th June deadline is hugely optimistic but probably the right thing to do for now.

I don't want anything voiding though. People go on about Liverpool being unbearable winning the league - I'm about 99% sure it would be better than any alternative suggested. You could laugh at them not winning it but it's hollow laughter.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

You can't award some teams some things and others not and maintain any integrity in the competition - which for me is the vital bit. If Liverpool are awarded it by default it'll forever be with an asterisk and to me, that's ridiculous. Just keep it paused.

I think the 30th June deadline is hugely optimistic but probably the right thing to do for now.

I don't want anything voiding though. People go on about Liverpool being unbearable winning the league - I'm about 99% sure it would be better than any alternative suggested. You could laugh at them not winning it but it's hollow laughter.

Well said mate. You've got the November world cup to think about. May as well plan the season recalibration around that. 

14 hours ago, Dan said:

Tbh the the it’s our year brigade were always unbearable but as Liverpool have dominated the league they have been sound imo...the unbearable ones are the ones who don’t support a rival club and want them to not win it

• Administrator

I'm in the same boat as most other sane people.

You can't award Liverpool the league (which they should be if the season gets cancelled, nonsensical to not give it to them) but then not award the positions teams are in now the relative awards i.e qualifying for Europe and avoiding relegation etc. It'd smack of favouritism if one team was favoured and the rest aren't treated the same. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm in the same boat as most other sane people.

You can't award Liverpool the league (which they should be if the season gets cancelled, nonsensical to not give it to them) but then not award the positions teams are in now the relative awards i.e qualifying for Europe and avoiding relegation etc. It'd smack of favouritism if one team was favoured and the rest aren't treated the same. 

3rd place an award. Roy Keane will be spinning in his ITV hot seat.

• Subscriber

The problem is the games in hand though. Aston Villa ultimately had a game less to stay up. The least unfair solution in this instance (and I deliberately say least unfair as it still doesn't adhere to a round robin) is to take away the results of the weekend(s) the games in hand were due to be played on originally.

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

If Man City were top few would give a shit if they got the title without the season finishing. Some of this has to be about how special this title win is for Liverpool that it must be done properly.

Yeah right, it would be mocked like it will be now if Liverpool get it without winning it   ..the only real fair solution here is pick the league up where we left off next March, no summer transfer window just have it on hold for 12mths

• Subscriber

Don't get me wrong the Liverpool glory hunters and the twats like McManaman ARE insufferable but I'm not willing to sacrifice the integrity of football just to spite them.

As bad as I feel for Liverpool fans or Aston Villa/Norwich/Bournemouth fans, this situation is bigger than football as the economies around the world are going to take a crash. The right measures will need to be taken even if it disappoints fans, staff or the players.

I will be disappointed if we dont win the league obviously but if the games can't be played then i will accept the season being null and void as people's health is more important. Plus if our players are hungry enough they will come back next season with a point to prove. 

15 hours ago, Harvsky said:

The games should go ahead behind closed doors but if any player or team gives the opposing team coronavirus they're deducted 40 points :ph34r:

Honestly they should be played behind closed doors rather than delay for longer.

Shutting everyone in their houses for 6 months and taking away everything about their lives that is good is a travesty of an outcome for people.

In that context football is important. It sucks that 50k people can't be in the stadiums to watch it but hundreds of millions can still enjoy it on screen. It is better than nothing in a tough time.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Harry said:

Honestly they should be played behind closed doors rather than delay for longer.

Shutting everyone in their houses for 6 months and taking away everything about their lives that is good is a travesty of an outcome for people.

In that context football is important. It sucks that 50k people can't be in the stadiums to watch it but hundreds of millions can still enjoy it on screen. It is better than nothing in a tough time.

Yeah but you can't do the behind closed doors thing if players are affected too. After all they are just as prone to get the virus as anyone else as well. Just because they are footballers doesn't mean they are immune to it.

Yes it's a travesty but it's more important to have people recover from this as opposed to play sport for the sake of it. 

I want games played as well and if it has to be behind closed doors then so be it, but only if every player or member of that club who will be in that stadium is cleared for the virus. Under no circumstance should any game be played where there's a possibility the virus could be passed on. 

• The title was changed to Coronavirus & The Premier League

Archived