• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
12 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I see that Troy Deeney has told the club he won't train and presumably won't play either because he does not want to put his son with breathing difficulties at risk... 

Don't blame him. I fully back his decision.

I don't blame Deeney for his decision. I do think there's other options for Watford and him, but they would likely mean he has to be separated from his family for over a month and that's a big ask for anyone.

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't blame him. I fully back his decision.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't blame Deeney for his decision. I do think there's other options for Watford and him, but they would likely mean he has to be separated from his family for over a month and that's a big ask for anyone.

Don't blame him for that decision, family comes first and the club has backed that choice but also found it interesting that he mentioned BAME in the questions which I thought had no real relevance to his personal situation... It was enough that he wanted to protect his family and fair play to that but he can't really be comparing the privileged high paying lifestyle of being on leave that he is currently enjoying and that of a much poorer paid frontline worker who has been out there in the thick of it the whole time?? 

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Don't blame him for that decision, family comes first and the club has backed that choice but also found it interesting that he mentioned BAME in the questions which I thought had no real relevance to his personal situation... It was enough that he wanted to protect his family and fair play to that but he can't really be comparing the privileged high paying lifestyle of being on leave that he is currently enjoying and that of a much poorer paid frontline worker who has been out there in the thick of it the whole time?? 

Don't think he was making that comparison? Think he was highlighting that it's an issue. And just because you're high paid/rich doesn't equate to not getting the virus as we've seen celebs and other players get it. 

I guess he's just making the point that BAME are likely to suffer more as has been documented. So he probably wants to protect his family/extended family and not just his ill 5 year old son. 

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't think he was making that comparison? Think he was highlighting that it's an issue. And just because you're high paid/rich doesn't equate to not getting the virus as we've seen celebs and other players get it.  

I guess he's just making the point that BAME are likely to suffer more as has been documented. So he probably wants to protect his family/extended family and not just his ill 5 year old son. 

Don't we all want the same thing?? 

We all know that it gets to everybody regardless of status but I just felt he was throwing it in the there because it's been spoken about so much and not for any reason that might be related to his personal circumstances so not really sure why he felt the need to push/raise that point. It was almost as if he was using it do double down on his reasons for not playing. He made the choice not to play and I think we all understand that and agree with it, however he is working in an industry that has some enviable health screening and fitness requirements and should anyone be found to have heart conditions or other high risk related problems they would be the first on the list for being left out and kept isolated.

Data seems to reflect that a large proportion of those most susceptible are due to cramped over crowded conditions, those on low income jobs that don't always have access to Health benefits or prescriptions and they certainly can't afford private health care should they or a family member fall ill and it would be fair to say that Troy Deeney amongst a great many other players in the league are not facing the same challenges as those that are working the frontlines day in and day out or have the same access to quick testing and ongoing monitoring that the clubs will be doing for them..  Let's be honest football clubs especially in the top flight probably have access to equipment and testing that even frontline workers don't have right now... I suppose I am just not keen on hearing people throw these things in like they are some champion of the cause when they are as far away as a risk from it as people can be... If however I find out he has been cleaning the bogs at Waterloo during his time off for 8 hours a day then I might change my mind... 

15 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Rashford has shown off a new tattoo on social media. Wonder how he got that done from 2 metres away? 

Did he just get it done? It’s the first time he’s been seen training since his injury, way before the lockdown even started. Genuine question.

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Did he just get it done? It’s the first time he’s been seen training since his injury, way before the lockdown even started. Genuine question.

You would think so... most players are always keen to show off there haircuts/tattoos etc as soon as they get them on Instagram/twitter etc so if he has not done so it's either recent or he kept it under wraps knowing he could get in a spot of bother for having it done during lockdown... The fact he has his shorts rolled up and off it might suggest it's fairly recent

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Don't we all want the same thing?? 

We all know that it gets to everybody regardless of status but I just felt he was throwing it in the there because it's been spoken about so much and not for any reason that might be related to his personal circumstances so not really sure why he felt the need to push/raise that point. It was almost as if he was using it do double down on his reasons for not playing. He made the choice not to play and I think we all understand that and agree with it, however he is working in an industry that has some enviable health screening and fitness requirements and should anyone be found to have heart conditions or other high risk related problems they would be the first on the list for being left out and kept isolated.

Data seems to reflect that a large proportion of those most susceptible are due to cramped over crowded conditions, those on low income jobs that don't always have access to Health benefits or prescriptions and they certainly can't afford private health care should they or a family member fall ill and it would be fair to say that Troy Deeney amongst a great many other players in the league are not facing the same challenges as those that are working the frontlines day in and day out or have the same access to quick testing and ongoing monitoring that the clubs will be doing for them..  Let's be honest football clubs especially in the top flight probably have access to equipment and testing that even frontline workers don't have right now... I suppose I am just not keen on hearing people throw these things in like they are some champion of the cause when they are as far away as a risk from it as people can be... If however I find out he has been cleaning the bogs at Waterloo during his time off for 8 hours a day then I might change my mind... 

Of course we all want the same thing. I think the attitude towards players just because they have bags load of money is a bit misguided? Not a personal dig, more just a general one as I've seen a lot of people give him stick for purely making a decision to safeguard his young baby.

There's underlying health conditions in the black community as has been well documented. And that's not taking in to account the geography or living conditions. 

I get what you're saying, honestly do. Footballers do live a luxurious life and of course do have the privileges of the testing and not living in such conditions we allude to. I still don't think that makes them exempt from being able to get the virus, especially if they're gonna be in training amongst other people who perhaps could have the virus (if tests aren't 100%?). I think I can just appreciate that he has his family's health at the heart of his thinking behind the decision.

Let's face it, whenever people from the sport, or young people from their families, tragically pass away we (as fans) are always the first to say 'football is secondary', 'puts things in to perspective', 'family always comes first'. I can only imagine the guilt that Deeney might feel that if he was to get the virus himself, he's then putting his son at risk and it's even worse considering he's already ill. 

And I know it's only a small number but 6 people from that first wave of testing have already been found to be positive from their tests. Maybe Deeney just doesn't want to take any chances at all and I can totally respect that decision.

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You would think so... most players are always keen to show off there haircuts/tattoos etc as soon as they get them on Instagram/twitter etc so if he has not done so it's either recent or he kept it under wraps knowing he could get in a spot of bother for having it done during lockdown... The fact he has his shorts rolled up and off it might suggest it's fairly recent

I’ve asked a couple of lads who have said it was done in Feb. Just trying to get it confirmed.0

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’ve asked a couple of lads who have said it was done in Feb. Just trying to get it confirmed.0

Cheers Geoff!

42 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Well apparently its on his thigh so would have been visible whilst playing football before Covid. Now its visible.

I heard it on talksport so it must be true!

21 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well apparently its on his thigh so would have been visible whilst playing football before Covid. Now its visible.

I heard it on talksport so it must be true!

He hasn’t played since January 15th though! Quite easily could have had a tat between then and March 23rd! By the way, I’m not defending him as such. If he’s had it during lockdown, he’s a fucking barnet.

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’m not defending him as such. If he’s had it during lockdown, he’s a fucking barnet.

If he has had it done during the lockdown he is hardly alone in the quarantine breakers list is he??

33 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

If he has had it done during the lockdown he is hardly alone in the quarantine breakers list is he??

Getting a tattoo is a bit fucking much. There’s enough risk of infection as it is without a pandemic.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Of course we all want the same thing. I think the attitude towards players just because they have bags load of money is a bit misguided? Not a personal dig, more just a general one as I've seen a lot of people give him stick for purely making a decision to safeguard his young baby.

There's underlying health conditions in the black community as has been well documented. And that's not taking in to account the geography or living conditions. 

I get what you're saying, honestly do. Footballers do live a luxurious life and of course do have the privileges of the testing and not living in such conditions we allude to. I still don't think that makes them exempt from being able to get the virus, especially if they're gonna be in training amongst other people who perhaps could have the virus (if tests aren't 100%?). I think I can just appreciate that he has his family's health at the heart of his thinking behind the decision.

Let's face it, whenever people from the sport, or young people from their families, tragically pass away we (as fans) are always the first to say 'football is secondary', 'puts things in to perspective', 'family always comes first'. I can only imagine the guilt that Deeney might feel that if he was to get the virus himself, he's then putting his son at risk and it's even worse considering he's already ill. 

And I know it's only a small number but 6 people from that first wave of testing have already been found to be positive from their tests. Maybe Deeney just doesn't want to take any chances at all and I can totally respect that decision.

I think both you and @Bluewolf raise valid points.

I fully understand Deeney's thinking here. But again, he's thinking what shitloads of people around the country (and around the world in similar lockdowns) are thinking - everyone wants to keep their family safe. But with being tested twice a week and the relative isolation the players are meant to be staying in (although... we've seen plenty of evidence of footballers not respecting the lockdown)… he's in a better boat than... pretty much almost everybody else in the world. I do think the BAME stuff is a bit weird for him to bring up, I don't think what BAME communities are facing with respect to COVID-19 is really what a premier league footballer is going to be facing, regardless of their ethnicity.

But again, he's got a son with an underlying health condition that makes him at risk. That's obviously something he'd be worried about, I suspect any parent would feel similarly. But at the same time, I don't really think he's in the same boat as most of us (BAME or otherwise) - I doubt he's gone out to buy essentials anytime lately (I wouldn't either if I was as rich as him and with a 5 month old kid with an illness at home during a pandemic), because he doesn't need to - he can pay a premium to have someone do it without thinking about it.

But I mean, at the end of the day... I think I'm on Deeney's side here. I just think if he's not training, Watford should probably be able to say "well we're not paying you."

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But I mean, at the end of the day... I think I'm on Deeney's side here. I just think if he's not training, Watford should probably be able to say "well we're not paying you."

Does raise another question doesn't it, not just about Deeney but other players as well, Given this could be with us for some time and players like him having good reason not to be playing I wonder what the stance will be about players pay??? Will they carry on paying them regardless as if they were just on the injured/other list and at what point do you say well, you need to get back to work now, If this is with us for the next 6 months to a year will he not play that entire time and will they be ok with that?? 

If this as some are saying will be with us for a good many years then like everyone else he will have to either take his chances or hang up his boots, having said that you can't really hang your boots up on life and there will always be risk no matter what he does until they find a cure if that's even possible... 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Does raise another question doesn't it, not just about Deeney but other players as well, Given this could be with us for some time and players like him having good reason not to be playing I wonder what the stance will be about players pay??? Will they carry on paying them regardless as if they were just on the injured/other list and at what point do you say well, you need to get back to work now, If this is with us for the next 6 months to a year will he not play that entire time and will they be ok with that?? 

If this as some are saying will be with us for a good many years then like everyone else he will have to either take his chances or hang up his boots, having said that you can't really hang your boots up on life and there will always be risk no matter what he does until they find a cure if that's even possible... 

I think there's been so much talk about it but little we can do about it - therefore I'm happy to let them (not just Deeney in his scenario) sort it out with his employers. Might sound a bit apathetic but it's something that should be discussed in private. Who knows, maybe they've already come to that decision and a suitable agreement to be paid less in the mean time and it's been kept under wraps, as it should be to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think there's been so much talk about it but little we can do about it - therefore I'm happy to let them (not just Deeney in his scenario) sort it out with his employers.

xD I wasn't thinking of going in there and confronting him directly with a clipboard full of the financials and challenging him on it mate... I think it should have gone without saying that we are not going to be involved or invited at any stage of that process... 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

xD I wasn't thinking of going in there and confronting him directly with a clipboard full of the financials and challenging him on it mate... I think it should have gone without saying that we are not going to be involved or invited at any stage of that process... 

Obviously.

Don't know if you just ignore the point I was making or not but clearly know that no-one is going to march down there and talk it out with them xD

My point was that there's so much talk about how much someone is paid, mainly media-fuelled, and we're all guilty of it but it detracts from the real reason in Deeney's case. 

Danny Rose says players are being treat like Lab rats and that he's being made to risk his health to play football for people's entertainment.

I'm pretty sure Newcastle United haven't entertained anyone this season :ph34r:

Archived