talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

I haven't been following the Premier League, but I've been following Barcelona's training sessions and all the majority of players out in Spain and Germany(and I wouldn't see why not England as well) seem up for it and want to play tomorrow. Everything from their cars, to balls, to nets, to dressing rooms, to everything are being constantly disinfected, the players are tested several times per week and the precautions being taken are significantly beyond anything else we see in every other profession, especially in professions where people earn the lowest and crappest of wages. Supermarket workers, Bus Drivers, construction workers, bin men, not even health-care workers receive such treatment or such working conditions.

As for the whole "lab rat", "slave", "guinea pig" talk, get in the real world. Try working in a supermarket, for example, where you're putting yourself at high risk, yet earn the most awful, crappest and basic of wages possible. That is a slave.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I haven't been following the Premier League, but I've been following Barcelona's training sessions and all the majority of players out in Spain and Germany(and I wouldn't see why not England as well) seem up for it and want to play tomorrow. Everything from their cars, to balls, to nets, to dressing rooms, to everything are being constantly disinfected, the players are tested several times per week and the precautions being taken are significantly beyond anything else we see in every other profession, especially in professions where people earn the lowest and crappest of wages. Supermarket workers, Bus Drivers, construction workers, bin men, not even health-care workers receive such treatment or such working conditions.

As for the whole "lab rat", "slave", "guinea pig" talk, get in the real world. Try working in a supermarket, for example, where you're putting yourself at high risk, yet earn the most awful, crappest and basic of wages possible. That is a slave.

This is a weird take mate, there is no comparison between non-essential services and essential services to be had. No one needs football, we do need food and supplies though (something many footballers have helped with in terms of donations and volunteering).

46 minutes ago, Storts said:

The desperation of Liverpool fans in this topic is evident for all to say. Considering what Liverpool is like as a city and the value of them, to be taking a very hard-line Tory view of withholding their pay etc is concerning. I don't think it's justifiable in the slightest. There is not a single chance you can guarantee the safety of these players from this virus at the current time. They should not be punished for returning to train or play under current circumstances, regardless of what other team mates may chose to do. 

Sounds like something the fan of a team in 8th place would say 👀

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, Stan said:

Also, maybe the players don't trust the tests (false positives? It's not unheard of that they've been around) and don't fancy taking the risk, especially given Kante's own circumstance of having a heart condition (or history of) :what:

Precisely. To suggest they should be forced to play or not be paid in the midst of a global pandemic claiming hundreds of thousands of lives to date - just because some people want to watch some live football is absolutely ridiculous. Players should absolutely be free to do what is best for the health and safety of them and their family 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Sounds like something the fan of a team in 8th place would say 👀

I really don’t care either way about the football, play or not. I do care about the safety and wellbeing of all those involved though, and it’s not just players affected by this. 

The concerns that players, particularly BAME players, have about returning are perfectly acceptable and I disagree with the view that they shouldn't be paid if they deem it unsafe to return. You also have to think of the knock on effect of stopping their pay, as already pointed out about the funding of public services and charities. Some of these players fund whole communities back in their homelands too.

It's obviously going to be a problem for the Premier League if several teams end up having multiple players who don't think it's safe to return. Some of these clubs are going to be really struggling the longer it goes on though so there will have to be a solution to get back playing at some point

1 hour ago, Danny said:

This is a weird take mate, there is no comparison between non-essential services and essential services to be had. No one needs football, we do need food and supplies though (something many footballers have helped with in terms of donations and volunteering).

Since their job is important, why are they paid such crap? The minimum wage in this country compared to the cost of everything is appalling. What is the minimum wage nowadays? About £8? What can a person actually do with that? People in the food industry provide everyone with food, but are having to eat microwave meals themselves as that's all they can afford?

Other than Healthcare works:- Supermarket workers and other food industry workers, bus drivers, train drivers, all forms of construction and building, cleaners, farm workers, bin men, etc all need pay-rises, they should ALL be given a wage that enables them to afford a car, mortgage and house, while still having money in the bank. All of them, rather than being treat like dregs of society, as people on the dole are sometimes treat better. These are the closest to slaves mate. Premier League footballers have such an easy life. 55 year old diabetics have to work on sites, as train drivers, as bus drivers, while footballers are long retired by that age, living in Hollywood. They can refuse to play all they want, but throwing words out like lab rat, guinea pig and slave is fucking ridiculous.

It is only a very small percentage though and some have a good reason as any human would, but not all do and they are just whining like little gimps if we are honest. Most players want to crack on and many safety measures are in play.

52 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Since their job is important, why are they paid such crap? The minimum wage in this country compared to the cost of everything is appalling. What is the minimum wage nowadays? About £8? What can a person actually do with that? People in the food industry provide everyone with food, but are having to eat microwave meals themselves as that's all they can afford?

Other than Healthcare works:- Supermarket workers and other food industry workers, bus drivers, train drivers, all forms of construction and building, cleaners, farm workers, bin men, etc all need pay-rises, they should ALL be given a wage that enables them to afford a car, mortgage and house, while still having money in the bank. All of them, rather than being treat like dregs of society, as people on the dole are sometimes treat better. These are the closest to slaves mate. Premier League footballers have such an easy life. 55 year old diabetics have to work on sites, as train drivers, as bus drivers, while footballers are long retired by that age, living in Hollywood. They can refuse to play all they want, but throwing words out like lab rat, guinea pig and slave is fucking ridiculous.

It is only a very small percentage though and some have a good reason as any human would, but not all do and they are just whining like little gimps if we are honest. Most players want to crack on and many safety measures are in play.

Most of what you said is not relevant to footballers mate, the argument of higher minimum wages and a living wage is seperate to the argument of footballers not wanting to risk their lives to play football.

Guinea pig is a perfect term to use imo seeing as football is not an essential service yet people within the FA, PL and their clubs are willing to risk footballers, staff and their families lives just to see how “safe” the game can be made in an attempt to get the game back on the screens.

I think arsenal defenders would be ok to play. They normally practise social distancing during the game anyway :ph34r:

6 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think he should get back to work and do what he's paid insane amounts of money to do yes. With players being tested regularly and the safety measures put together by clubs to protect the players, there's no real excuse not to. 

Or as already mentioned above, if he still refuses, simply don't pay him a penny. 

Eh? I just told you Kante's brother and father both died of a heart attack and Kante had heart complications several years ago. Until it is absolutely safe to do so, going out to training will only increase Kante's exposure to a virus that could potentially kill him. How is that not a real excuse? 

5 hours ago, Danny said:

Most footballers have a. cut their wages or have donated large chunks to charities and b. the tax on their wages will contribute significantly to NHS funding currently.

The risk is clearly not next to zero if players are still testing positive for it. Players shouldn’t have to risk their lives or their families lives because they are well paid, nor should they be furloughed because their clubs can afford to pay them and the money they’re paid can go into worthy causes. They are not key workers, they are sportsmen essentially in the entertainment industry. There is no requirement for them to be working currently yet people want them to go out and risk it anyway? I’d say they have fair grounds for being pissed off at being treated like guinea pigs

You don't have to be a key worker to return to work though? That restriction has been lifted in the UK. 

So its OK for any tom, dick or Harry to return to work, but footballers can't? 

They get special treatment as it is with all the testing etc. 2 of my daughters are care workers and have worked throughout all this pandemic. Not been tested once!

46 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Eh? I just told you Kante's brother and father both died of a heart attack and Kante had heart complications several years ago. Until it is absolutely safe to do so, going out to training will only increase Kante's exposure to a virus that could potentially kill him. How is that not a real excuse? 

well you can say goodbye to Kante then because this virus isn't going away anytime soon. If he refuses to play whilst ever the virus is around then he's essentially just retired. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You don't have to be a key worker to return to work though? That restriction has been lifted in the UK. 

They get special treatment as it is with all the testing etc. 2 of my daughters are care workers and have worked throughout all this pandemic. Not been tested once!

They've been eligible for testing, as a priority, since mid-April if I'm not mistaken?

54 minutes ago, Danny said:

Most of what you said is not relevant to footballers mate, the argument of higher minimum wages and a living wage is seperate to the argument of footballers not wanting to risk their lives to play football.

Guinea pig is a perfect term to use imo seeing as football is not an essential service yet people within the FA, PL and their clubs are willing to risk footballers, staff and their families lives just to see how “safe” the game can be made in an attempt to get the game back on the screens.

I wouldn't say the Premier league is ready to start yet, but the measures taken in Germany seem to be working thus far(although they have shown to be a far superior nation to us in every way, shape and form during this if we are honest) and the players seem happy to carry on as normal.

In La Liga, which is returning on the 8th of June, the measures I've seen being taken there are unreal. I've never seen as much disinfectant being used or as many tests being carried out, I don't see where they are actually risking their lives. More adapting to a situation under some of the highest safest measures you will ever see.

When it's ready, there is no reason why it can't start under these conditions.

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

well you can say goodbye to Kante then because this virus isn't going away anytime soon. If he refuses to play whilst ever the virus is around then he's essentially just retired. 

Hence why I disagree with the season continuing. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Hence why I disagree with the season continuing. 

To be honest @LFCMadLad doesn't really seem to be taking the virus that seriously. He has his reason and he's a sound lad but I don't agree with him on this. 

35 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Your place of employment shouldn’t bring you back to work unless they can guarantee your safety 

46 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think we should just respect who doesn't want to play and who is willing to through this pandemic, irrespective of comparison to other people's jobs.

Kante doesn't want to play. Fine. Deeney doesn't want to play. Fine. They have their reasons.

End of the day, we know Football isn't essential, where as several key workers and those in trades have to keep the wheels of industry turning.

Those that choose not to play aren't hurting anyone in my eyes. And as a club, you wouldn't want to play a player who isn't committed anyway.

If their club wishes to discipline them for not playing then that's up to the club, but I think most will be understanding and supportive of those in vulnerable positions.

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

The concerns that players, particularly BAME players, have about returning are perfectly acceptable and I disagree with the view that they shouldn't be paid if they deem it unsafe to return. You also have to think of the knock on effect of stopping their pay, as already pointed out about the funding of public services and charities. Some of these players fund whole communities back in their homelands too.

It's obviously going to be a problem for the Premier League if several teams end up having multiple players who don't think it's safe to return. Some of these clubs are going to be really struggling the longer it goes on though so there will have to be a solution to get back playing at some point

If BAME players were working in supermarkets, NHS or low end jobs I’d agree. I genuinely think the BAME argument shouldn’t be used with premier league footballers. There’s a massive social reason why BAME people have been effected by Covid. Millionaire footballers are absolutely incomparable in my honest opinion.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think we should just respect who doesn't want to play and who is willing to through this pandemic, irrespective of comparison to other people's jobs.

Kante doesn't want to play. Fine. Deeney doesn't want to play. Fine. They have their reasons.

End of the day, we know Football isn't essential, where as several key workers and those in trades have to keep the wheels of industry turning.

Those that choose not to play aren't hurting anyone in my eyes. And as a club, you wouldn't want to play a player who isn't committed anyway.

If their club wishes to discipline them for not playing then that's up to the club, but I think most will be understanding and supportive of those in vulnerable positions.

Well said. 

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

If BAME players were working in supermarkets, NHS or low end jobs I’d agree. I genuinely think the BAME argument shouldn’t be used with premier league footballers. There’s a massive social reason why BAME people have been effected by Covid. Millionaire footballers are absolutely incomparable in my honest opinion.

Have to agree... I don't have a problem with players making choices not to play for health reasons, Like Deeney and Kante as they have very good cause to want to avoid that potential even if it's very small but can't say I agree with footballers trying to use BAME as one of the reasons when their lifestyles don't even come close to pretty much everybody else in a low income high risk environment... If you make that choice to stop playing then fine, if you have a good reason nobody is going to slate you for that but let's not forget that as a footballer you are being given much better preferential treatment way over and above those people that are out there each day with no testing, no disinfecting, very little PPE and in most cases probably zero social distancing enforcements in place.. 

51 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Is there definitive evidence that it's purely a social issue? 

8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Before the outbreak of Covid-19, BAME populations were already more likely to suffer ill health, including heart and circulatory diseases and their risk factors such as high blood pressure and diabetes, and from a younger age. Much of this is linked to social and economic inequalities rather than genetics.

Earlier this year, Prof Michael Marmot published a report highlighting how these inequalities have widened over the past ten years and it is possible that these societal inequalities are now also having an impact on the number of BAME people dying of Covid-19.  For instance, those with ethnic minority backgrounds are more likely to be affected by poverty in the UK, particularly those from Black African, Pakistani and Bangladeshi backgrounds, though this varies widely from group to group. Poverty limits healthy choices for people and has an impact on overall health, ability to access care and living arrangements. 

Overcrowded housing is more likely to be experienced by minority ethnic populations in all socioeconomic groups, Though there may be some health and wellbeing benefits in terms of reduced social isolation, there are health risks associated with overcrowding, particularly when it comes to infectious diseases like Covid-19. Reduced ability to socially distance may increase the chance of exposure to a higher dose of the virus whether it is through overcrowded housing or the choice to live as a multigenerational family.

What difference does your job make?

BAME groups are disproportionately represented in frontline roles, whether that is in the NHS or in other public facing roles such as retail and transport. These jobs increase the risk of exposure to coronavirus. In London, 67% of the adult social care workforce are from BAME backgrounds

According to NHS Workforce Statistics, people with BAME backgrounds account for approximately 21 per cent of staff, including approximately 20 per cent of nursing and support staff and 44 per cent of medical staff. However, individuals with BAME backgrounds account for 63 per cent, 64 per cent and 95 per cent of deaths in the same staff groups. Early findings from looking at these data showed 79% of these deaths were people working in hospitals. (Data supplied by Simon Lennane, NHS GP in Hertfordshire)

The vast majority of doctors who have died of Covid-19 are from BAME backgrounds. Although we don’t have detailed data around this, it’s likely that the type of doctor they are and the work they do may affect their level of exposure to the virus. 

The British Medical Association has noted potential differences in work culture. There is evidence that some health care staff from BAME backgrounds may feel less able to raise concerns about shortages of safety equipment and are more likely to continue working even if personal protection equipment is not available.

46 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Basically what Bluewolf has posted. Disproportionate numbers in low paid frontline roles, social background and even their work ethic (good, not bad because BAME are less likely to complain according to date I’ve read). There’s a whole host of others reasons, and none of them resonate with a millionaire footballers lifestyle.

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be honest @LFCMadLad doesn't really seem to be taking the virus that seriously. He has his reason and he's a sound lad but I don't agree with him on this. 

Not taken it seriously? I've worked through the whole fucking thing. Trust me, I've taken it very seriously mate.

Archived