talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

If Leicester go far in Europe I don't see how any further cancellations benefit them at all.

If anyone will have to do the three games in 5/6 days it most likely will be them.

Good job Rodgers is shite in Europe then 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Good job Rodgers is shite in Europe then 

He said he didn't even know the Conference League was a thing. Even I know it's a thing and 1.) I've never watched it, and 2.) I'm not a football manager that could end up managing a side in that tournament xD

He truly gives no fucks about Europe, think he thinks the midweek fixtures are just a pain in the arse.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He said he didn't even know the Conference League was a thing. Even I know it's a thing and 1.) I've never watched it, and 2.) I'm not a football manager that could end up managing a side in that tournament xD

He truly gives no fucks about Europe, think he thinks the midweek fixtures are just a pain in the arse.

I think it was a bit misleading what he said. I want to think he meant he didn't know who we'd be playing as opposed to totally not knowing about the competition. 

• Subscriber

20220110_182008.jpg

Is this accurate? If so, it hardly seems like it's a legitimate postponement. This has never been the case in previous seasons, Covid gives mitigating circumstances but IF this list is accurate, it's not because of Covid is it.

I don't blame Leicester. The lack of transparency in the decision making process from the start of December gives them plausible deniability by being able to point at other teams and question their postponements where there's a grey area.

A can of worms has really been opened here. The AFCON players should not be taken into account even the tiniest bit. All Premier League clubs know what they sign up for in that regard when they bring in African international players. An injury crisis is unfortunate and more closely related to Covid but when teams have had problems like this in the past (and they have), they've had to get on with it and play the kids if needs be.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I forgot they were in that Conference League thing. They're surely one of the favourites in that competition then. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

20220110_182008.jpg

Is this accurate? If so, it hardly seems like it's a legitimate postponement. This has never been the case in previous seasons, Covid gives mitigating circumstances but IF this list is accurate, it's not because of Covid is it.

I don't blame Leicester. The lack of transparency in the decision making process from the start of December gives them plausible deniability by being able to point at other teams and question their postponements where there's a grey area.

A can of worms has really been opened here. The AFCON players should not be taken into account even the tiniest bit. All Premier League clubs know what they sign up for in that regard when they bring in African international players. An injury crisis is unfortunate and more closely related to Covid but when teams have had problems like this in the past (and they have), they've had to get on with it and play the kids if needs be.

Agree about AFCON. 

Thomas and KDH absences were never revealed but may have also been Covid-19 as much as they were 'injuries'. 

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Agree about AFCON. 

Thomas and KDH absences were never revealed but may have also been Covid-19 as much as they were 'injuries'. 

I know last year when Trent was positive with COVID, Klopp ended up just listing him as an injury and later revealed his injury was a covid infection - I wonder how many clubs have done the same thing this year?

Because it's not like omicron was around at the start of the season - so it's not like the guidance to clubs would have changed much between this season and last season until omicron came around and started fucking with the season.

But even so, Thomas and KDH injuries/covid would be after omicron, so you'd suspect they'd be listed as covid if testing positive? Unless they happened to both get injured and test positive at the same time?

It's hard to say off that list... because that list is hardly something official xD - but on the face of it, that doesn't look like it should be suspended because of COVID. It's an injury crisis for sure - but that by itself shouldn't be an issue with regard to fixtures. Otherwise we should get a do-over on last season...

I agree with you and @RondónEFC- AFCON shouldn't even be considered, those players wouldn't be available in any normal season regardless... because of AFCON. Just like the injured players.

Either way, I doubt Leicester are pulling a fast one here - I doubt any clubs have really pulled a fast one tbh. They're making decisions based off the test results their players get in and based on the guidance they get from the league. Whether they are false positives or not (and how is Leicester to know until after the fact and continued testing, and I believe the league has again cut back from doing PCR tests AGAIN - and those are the reliable tests), a club's going to act on the info they've got available to them after those tests.

It's up to the league to respond to the requests that Leicester make based off the information they've got available. You can't blame Leicester for making a request that under the rules and with the information they have, they're making a request they're entitled to make. At the end of the day, they are entitled to make their request - it's down to the league to make the decision.

Get angry at the league if it's not legitimate, not Leicester. They're doing what I'd expect any club would do in their situation if they've just received a lot of positive lateral flow tests. And I'm sure after getting a lot of positive lateral flow tests, they'll subsequently get players tested with PCR tests. But that takes at least a day for them to get their result.

The rules need clarification because we had 8 players out with Covid a while back and we still had to fulfil all our games... To be honest I am pleased we have played those games because the fixture backlog would be almost too much if you have a half decent run in the Cups/Europe let alone trying to keep up a title charge... 

It does seem to be all over the place though and not having to play some games will be an advantage for some with extra recovery time, injuries and AFCON being taken into consideration.. As normal though we are left to guess what criteria they are using... A lengthy injury list and AFCON can't be any excuse for not playing games and if they get postponed then why are they not being docked the points from those matches?? 

• Subscriber

In fairness we've barely played with a defence all season so Saturday was nothing new.

To be honest I have sympathies a bit with Everton - although I don't think it works out as badly for them as many think either, we are depleted but I don't think we've even looked loads worse to be honest while they've just played 120 minutes. I understand why we've done it though, it's another loophole that we've exploited. I'm a bit pissed off because like a mad man I was actually meant to be going.

9 hours ago, Stan said:

The rules are 13 senior outfield players. 

We only have 8 senior outfield players. 

The rules are different for FA Cup and PL. 

We have absences due to COVID, injuries and AFCON. Any other club not meeting that PL criteria would be able to have the game postponed. I don't get what's so difficult to understand why the game has been postponed. It was stupid to rearrange it in January anyway. 

As for the darts thing that I've seen people mention, totally irrelevant. Barnes HAD covid and recovered. They're allowed to live their lives.

I won't touch on the AFCON thing as you have said in a later post that you agree that should be irrelevant to this. If you choose to have African players, this is something the club has to take on the chin. 

As for the 8 senior outfield players, two things. One, I don't think you read my post to realise why I had an initial gripe with it because we (Leeds) have got on with it and playing kids to keep fixtures going, we may need to do the same Sunday because we certainly dont have 13 senior players fit.

In addition, those kids that played Saturday for you are registered to the Premier League squad. What is the point in that if it means they are being used at a convenient moment to not be eligible? You either are or your not surely?

Also, from my previous post, I highlighted that Leicester would say they could postpone simply because others have which is exactly what you have said in ypur reply. I get that and knew that would be in the reply but it still doesn't make it right does it.

Fair play for exploiting the rules but morally all this is not right, and that is my point. Personally I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that view either.

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Lucas said:

In addition, those kids that played Saturday for you are registered to the Premier League squad. What is the point in that if it means they are being used at a convenient moment to not be eligible? You either are or your not surely?

Also, from my previous post, I highlighted that Leicester would say they could postpone simply because others have which is exactly what you have said in ypur reply. I get that and knew that would be in the reply but it still doesn't make it right does it.

Fair play for exploiting the rules but morally all this is not right, and that is my point. Personally I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that view either.

They're not in the PL squad. Alves, McAteer, Daley-Campbell and some of that bench either aren't registered, or in normal circumstances wouldn't ever be in the squad without the injuries and COVID. 

Morally it's not right and if we were the only club doing it I'd feel pretty conflicted and uneasy. But on the other hand if we were the only club not taking advantage like other clubs have and will, I'd wonder why - also, I'd have hated to go out of the FA Cup as defending champions with a whimper, but that's more a sentimental thing than anything else. 

Also, what I've learnt today is that there isn't a specific amount of positive tests to warrant a game being called off - PL state its always done on a case by case basis. I thought there was an actual number but its not. It's to do with the specific number of outfield players available via the new ruling that came in this season. I don't even think it's a loophole we or other clubs are now exploiting, it's just a rule we're all now following. 

4 hours ago, shut up said:

I didn't expect them to admit making a mistake.

The testing is done by an independent company so if there’s an issue with the tests the issue is with them.

What would the point of faking the tests be? Postponing a match, giving up the advantage of being at home in the second leg, and moving the first match between more difficult fixtures?

And what’s the downside? Getting fined and probably kicked out of the tournament?

You all need less of that AFTV and more books if you think there’s any serious wrongdoing. Especially for the Carabao Cup ffs

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, shut up said:

No we're not, why lie? xD

Arteta and Pep the only two managers who haven't moaned like a little bitch this season 

Klopp & Conte never shut up moaning

You are. Arteta admitted as much last night. Be surprised if it goes ahead

• Administrator
1 hour ago, shut up said:

Will Leicester play a game of football again?

This one wasn't our fault!! 

We had enough players for the game. Burnley didn't...not sure what the breakdown is. 

For all the games postponed, we've only asked for 2 to go. The PL can take the shit for rearranging the Everton game so soon in Jan. 

As for the rearranged games, 4 games that need to be fit in now for us. Fixture schedule is already rammed. If we progress further in FA Cup it means more rearrangements in March and April. I think we may see 3 games in a week (weekend, Tuesday, Thursday) as the season progresses... 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, shut up said:

Yeah i was having a go at Leicester, just that you've hardly played lately. Keeps you nice and fresh to smash spurs next week

Although not sure a long break - 23 days by the time we play Spurs - is always best. Saw how rusty Liverpool were against us and I think we'll see similar when we play Spurs. Although the plus from Burnley postponing tomorrow's game is that players have a bit more time to recover or return. 

You guys roughing up Spurs wouldn't go amiss! Them missing Son is a good time to play them. 

3 hours ago, Storts said:

Arsenal going to try and get their game called off against us at the weekend with one Covid case. Farcical 

We've got 12 players out. It's a legitimate reason 

Archived