• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Who are the 12?

I dont know. It doesn't really matter I dont think. You have to have 13 players available. Doesn't matter if it's not key players who are out 

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Spurs - Romero, Bergwijn, Son, Dier

Arsenal - Tomiyasu, Smith Rowe, Aubameyang, Partey, Elneny, Pepe, Odegaard, Xhaka.  Saka and Soares are up in the air.

Absolute farce if they call it off.  

And white and nketiah. Any manager would want the game called of with that many players out 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

And white and nketiah. Any manager would want the game called of with that many players out 

Both are available according to Matt Law, who now covers all three London clubs (Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal) You have 8 confirmed out with 2 up in the air (Saka & Soares) to which I'm sure at least one of them will be fit Sunday.  

This will leave you to 9 players out, which was the same amount of players we had out vs Wolves and were forced to play on. 

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

We've got 12 players out. It's a legitimate reason 

I know other clubs have done the same, but unless at least half of those are because of Covid, it isn't a legitimate reason at all.

This has got so badly out of hand. Teams with one Covid case getting games called off through a rule that's there in case of Covid emergencies.

The whole Premier League has become a farce over the past six weeks, but again because the majority can't see past the partisan angle of getting into a pissing contest over which teams have "cheated" the most and how our own club's reasons are more legitimate than everyone else's, the FA and Premier League are getting off pretty much scot-free. They're the ones who have failed to provide a transparent framework for how these things are decided and have enabled clubs to find every loophole going. Now a precedent has been set where enough teams have taken the piss that it's pretty much fair game for everyone. Teams are literally getting 2-3 of their strongest eleven out injured and trying to get two weeks off.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

What's even a bigger farce is that Arsenal are willingly letting players go out on loan this month whilst at the same time claiming they are short on numbers. 

Precisely. Let two out this week. No chance this should be called off. Even though it suits us as well 

32 minutes ago, Storts said:

No it isn’t. You have one Covid case. Injuries and afcon should not count 

This, 1000%. If teams hit the magic number to get a game called off through covid, call it off. If teams are citing injuries and AFCON (they know that this could be the case when they sign players), they’re failing to fulfil a fixture and should be punished as a result. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, shut up said:

You've had games called off and Conte has bitched about his squad for the past month, so zip it ;)

Games called off because we had a huge Covid outbreak and the training ground closed. You’ve got injuries and players away. Not a chance the PL should accept this request. And the hypocrisy of you to go along with it too, typical

• Administrator

Arsenal really taking the piss. They have a huge squad of over 50 players. They should use the youngsters. They knew Afcon was coming and those players shouldn't be counted! Disgraceful! 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Hopefully, a line is drawn under the farce the last month or so has become and common sense is applied from now on. I can’t see them forcing Arsenal to play though. 

As an aside, Arsenal 23’s are playing tonight. 

Not that I agree with my club exploiting the weak rules, but I think the rules should either now be scrapped and the 'fulfil a game or else' thinking needs to come back, or the rules need to be strengthened further so its purely COVID cases and not 'normal' injuries that can be accounted for when looking at the 13-player (+1 GK) threshold. 

3 hours ago, Storts said:

No it isn’t. You have one Covid case. Injuries and afcon should not count 

Well they do. You have to be able to have 13 players. Otherwise you have a legitimate reason to ask for the game to be cancelled 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Both are available according to Matt Law, who now covers all three London clubs (Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal) You have 8 confirmed out with 2 up in the air (Saka & Soares) to which I'm sure at least one of them will be fit Sunday.  

This will leave you to 9 players out, which was the same amount of players we had out vs Wolves and were forced to play on. 

The source I read said they weren't. Have to see I guess. 

Archived