talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well they do. You have to be able to have 13 players. Otherwise you have a legitimate reason to ask for the game to be cancelled 

You definitely have 13 players. Leeds have had to play a load of kids from their ranks, so you will have to do the same. If you’re allowed to use players away at the AFCON & Xaka being suspended as a way out of this game then we will have well and truly  seen it all. You’ve requested postponement not even 24hrs after playing most of your first 11 against us, yet you’re here trying to avoid admitting that your club is taking the piss. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pathetic, really. AFCON and injuries is an absolute cop out, even more so when they’ve loaned players out this week, are trying to offload another couple permanently and Arsenal U23’s played West Ham last night. It’s beyond farcical, as it has been since this nonsense begun but the precedent was set, so why wouldn’t you get big games called if you’ve got 3-4 players in Africa and another 3-4 injured/carrying knocks?

• Administrator

People thought we took the piss last week but Arsenal have taken it to a whole new level. 

Not attempting to get on any kind of high horse but at least we actually had injuries and a 'crisis' of a squad. Arsenal have 3 injuries and 1 Covid-19 case. Pathetic really. AFCON shouldn't be taken in to account for any club at all. 

Arsenal are missing the same amount of players we had against Wolves and their games gets postponed? We even had 4 cases of Covid. 

Honestly just fuck this season off. As Palace mentioned, a big fat asterisk on the premier league trophy. 

• Subscriber

I get how it's happened, but the Premier League have let this descend into a total farce with their ruling. It's blatantly being bent by clubs left right and centre, my own likely included.

As usual it's the fans who miss out. Two away games I've been robbed of this week. We made a stupid late decision to book a train for Burnley a couple of days ago so I knew it'd happen.

Our situation is the biggest mess in the league. Burnley have five in hand, but we have four and we have only three guaranteed midweeks to play them in. My fear is that we end up just sacking off a winnable European competition, or worse, a cup game against Forest, to free up some space later in the season.

The season's become a complete farce though. It's just not serious, yet again.

• Subscriber

Should be done based on number of positive cases and that's that. Including AFCON players is taking the absolute fucking piss. If you build a squad relying on those players without having the backup to get you through January every other season, then take your medicine. Injuries happen. I can't really add anything that hasn't been said, we're on the same page here I think, pretty much everyone which makes a change and tells you just how daft it has become.

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Devil said:

Be a bit demoralising for the Under 21's knowing you can't even get a change in the first team if there was a few players missing.

The club would rather cancel a fixture than give you a shot.

It's a disgrace to be honest. This Arsenal one might be the worst yet - it's not even a discrete bending of the rules. As others have said nobody is really innocent here (Wolves & Leeds maybe excepted) but the fans have been shown zero respect again. Money, plans, and overall experience just snatched because of players and managers with loser mentalities.

Every club cancelling a game now should be fined all fans costs. Make calling it off actually have a consequence.

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Should be done based on number of positive cases and that's that. Including AFCON players is taking the absolute fucking piss. If you build a squad relying on those players without having the backup to get you through January every other season, then take your medicine. Injuries happen. I can't really add anything that hasn't been said, we're on the same page here I think, pretty much everyone which makes a change and tells you just how daft it has become.

I agree with this but total side note - would you find it acceptable if Everton v Leicester happened during this January international break?

Leicester are going to have to play games then. I think our Norwich & Burnley games will have to be played during that and there's space for a third.

Bit embarrassed to be honest.  I think we only have Odegaard out because of covid. I dont think its unfair to call of a fixture if you have to go into your under 23 squad because of a mixture of covid, injuries and afcon. However when it is one covid case that is taking the piss. At the same time I think a lot of clubs would do the same thing if it was a vital fixture if they thought they could. 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Dan said:

I agree with this but total side note - would you find it acceptable if Everton v Leicester happened during this January international break?

Leicester are going to have to play games then. I think our Norwich & Burnley games will have to be played during that and there's space for a third.

I don't think it can - Everton have Richarlison and Allan going on international duty with Brazil (if they've been called up) so can be game-free as per FIFA. Any side with a player going to the SA qualifiers doesn't have to play a game, rearranged or not. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think it can - Everton have Richarlison and Allan going on international duty with Brazil (if they've been called up) so can be game-free as per FIFA. Any side with a player going to the SA qualifiers doesn't have to play a game, rearranged or not. 

Yeah I've heard this as well which is why I think it'll be just Norwich or Burnley. Got to hope USA call Sargent up because he's bound to score past us.

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Dan said:

I genuinely can't comment because I don't know what games are on and who's doing what. Combination of how much Everton being Everton has switched me off to the club and how the farce of this middle part of the season has switched me off to the Premier League in general.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah I've heard this as well which is why I think it'll be just Norwich or Burnley. Got to hope USA call Sargent up because he's bound to score past us.

Yeah it makes sense to play Norwich and Burnley in the break. Two weeks away so any outbreak should be sorted out by then. 

• Subscriber

Our particular situation is absolute lunacy at this point.

So we now have Everton away, Norwich home, Burnley away and Chelsea away that need rearranging.

If you ignore this January international break..

February we play every weekend other than the league cup final weekend when Chelsea was meant to happen. Everyone else we need to play already has a game. Every midweek is already taken.

March we're a win against a Championship team away from the first midweek going (so won't be able to guarantee a slot until 6th February and likely won't be able to anyway), should we make the quarters (again plausible) you have a fifth game that needs rearranging in Brentford away. Should we beat Randers (the bookies rank them as the weakest side in the competition) we lose the two midweeks after too, meaning we have no guaranteed free spaces until April.

It's just ridiculous and it's gotten totally out of hand. Our season's in genuine danger of overrunning. I fear we won't try in Europe above all. I don't think we're in a position to turn our noses up at a European competition even if it is the third tier. I'd be disappointed if we sacked that off to get a slightly better league position which won't qualify us for Europe anyway. We look nailed on to finish 8th-10th. I don't understand how we're still in the top half. We've not been much good anyway and we've now got 4 in hand. The fuck are the others doing xD

But yeah in short it's a total shambles. Don't think we'll ever have a season as dreadful as this for away games if you ignore the obvious last two years.

38 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Chelsea have had issues and have played the youngsters and players we can't move on and has cost us points.

The thing is with the World Club Championship and being in every other cup competition we will run out of time.

When is the World Club Cup? Thought it was normally December.

With this talk of City domination think we need a bit of balance.

No club to my knowledge has won the quadruple, I  last remember it being considered during Fergie's domination.

City have won the treble, once.

If they do it 2 or 3 times then think it is right to revisit. 

Will Pep be judged a failure if they fail to win the Champions League?

Archived