talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sets a dangerous and immoral prejudice, this. Basically saying they only really want to send any combination of Liverpool/Man City/Man Utd/Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea to the CL. Obviously the financial reasons are a big reason for this but it kind of sends a massive two fingers up to any side that 1) has the audacity to try and break that glass ceiling and 2) actually achieves it. 

And anyway, even if Wolves/Sheff Utd had their one game, the lowest Man Utd would finish (if still in league system) would be 5th, so at the very least they are deserving of a Europa League place if we're using the 'merit' system. 

But they are doing the exact opposite of that 1st Para here. They are letting Sheff and Wolves duke it out first and then the winner of that gets a chance at United with one of the possible outcomes being United doesn't go to the CL but Wolves or Sheff does. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

But they are doing the exact opposite of that 1st Para here. They are letting Sheff and Wolves duke it out first and then the winner of that gets a chance at United with one of the possible outcomes being United doesn't go to the CL but Wolves or Sheff does. 

True. I may have misunderstood your point there then xD 

I still don't get how United have to be involved in a play-off if Man City are taken out of the equation. 

Cant see the ban standing so calm down :rofl:  ..UEFA can not afford to take this to court and lose, the legal team cost alone is 20k a day and been in working since Feb then damages on top  ..David Pannick QC said what they have on City will not stand up in court

Have to admit I'm starting to sweat after the French and Dutch leagues were called off.

And I feel sure it would destroy me if it happened in the EPL.

But right now I'm almost struggling to give a fuck about football at all. It's just such a distant memory... 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Have to admit I'm starting to sweat after the French and Dutch leagues were called off.

And I feel sure it would destroy me if it happened in the EPL.

But right now I'm almost struggling to give a fuck about football at all. It's just such a distant memory... 

PSG have been confirmed as champions anyway

I know football is by no means a priority at the moment, and well aware that it’s selfish to even complain about lack of it. But I’m not going to lie, if the season was cancelled and we were given the title, it would be a bit shite in a way. After such a wait for it, to win it with no fans, no parade and basically no celebration would be a proper heart wrenching end to the season. I hope it’s finished behind closed doors, if only to see the players being able to celebrate it. 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

I know football is by no means a priority at the moment, and well aware that it’s selfish to even complain about lack of it. But I’m not going to lie, if the season was cancelled and we were given the title, it would be a bit shite in a way. After such a wait for it, to win it with no fans, no parade and basically no celebration would be a proper heart wrenching end to the season. I hope it’s finished behind closed doors, if only to see the players being able to celebrate it. 

The moment in the way we imagined it has gone anyway so I'll certainly take the ending of the season with Liverpool as champions.

Our clinching moment was probably when Salah slotted it in late on v Man Utd anyway. It probably wasn't going to get too much better than that

The fume from the 'VOID THE SEASON' brigade would be worth it too

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Fine don't have it then :ph34r:

Also, who will the players celebrate in front of :ph34r:

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

The moment in the way we imagined it has gone anyway so I'll certainly take the ending of the season with Liverpool as champions.

Our clinching moment was probably when Salah slotted it in late on v Man Utd anyway. It probably wasn't going to get too much better than that

The fume from the 'VOID THE SEASON' brigade would be worth it too

Voiding the season would be terrible. Hope it doesn't get voided. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Fine don't have it then :ph34r:

Also, who will the players celebrate in front of :ph34r:

Voiding the season would be terrible. Hope it doesn't get voided. 

I still don't see the rush to finish the season and why it can't just be restarted when it's safe to do so. But obviously UEFA have put a deadline on it

• Subscriber

The lack of contingency plan for any potential disruption like this, which was always possible, is pretty ridiculous really and I can't believe there isn't anything. They've backed themselves into a massive lose/lose.

The leaked (it’s official, Bristol Rovers have acknowledged this) audio from a Bristol Rovers player group chat basically makes it sound tough to end this season. 66k tests needed apparently and with it being hard to get a test as it is, no one is going to be able to justify tests being needed for footballers. 

Was listening to the Sunday Supplement and restarting this season is never going to happen. I think it was John Cross or Winter who said that, more than 250 personnel are needed even if the game is played behind closed doors. And even with that, there will be fans gathering outside the stadium. 

And there is bound to be someone getting infected one way or the other. 

Finishing this season by points per game mathematics seems logical.

Agree with Mike. The fume from void the season Muppets will be glorious.

• Subscriber

I still can't really bring myself to care what they do. Theres no perfect solution and I'm pretty resigned to the fact that pressure from the money men will push them into some form of rushed conclusion/resumption of the season.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't restart football until they can get crowds in again. It isn't football in an empty stadium.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I still can't really bring myself to care what they do. Theres no perfect solution and I'm pretty resigned to the fact that pressure from the money men will push them into some form of rushed conclusion/resumption of the season.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't restart football until they can get crowds in again. It isn't football in an empty stadium.

Watched Juventus v Inter behind closed doors, a massive game, and it was honestly unwatchable. It's just wrong.

Why are they so desperate to come up with what to do? The UEFA deadline of May 25th is too early. It's as if UEFA think they can get next season's Champions League going again in August. The Champions League has to be off until next year surely. 

At this stage what is required are date periods you'd be willing to fit everything in. Fixture plan periods. What's the last start date acceptable? July, August, September? Once you have that then just wait ffs. Review each planned period as you approach it.

Right now all we can say is May is too soon. Mid July next potential start to review.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Why are they so desperate to come up with what to do? The UEFA deadline of May 25th is too early. It's as if UEFA think they can get next season's Champions League going again in August. The Champions League has to be off until next year surely. 

At this stage what is required are date periods you'd be willing to fit everything in. Fixture plan periods. What's the last start date acceptable? July, August, September? Once you have that then just wait ffs. Review each planned period as you approach it.

Right now all we can say is May is too soon. Mid July next potential start to review.

I agree. I think they probably do know the plans and future arrangements or considerations for next 2-3 seasons based on what's happened but perhaps they don't want to publicise it yet for fear of further criticism. Plus they probably don't want to publish plans because if it doesn't go ahead for reasons out of their control, they also won't face any backlash.

I know not everything is about money to us, but there's probably so many sponsorships and legal aspects UEFA are considering so that they try and avoid as little money loss as possible, be that fines or losing out on TV deals etc.  

This is what I would maybe do. Whatever happens it isn't going to be fair but this is the fairest way I can think of. Award Liverpool the title because it is very unlikely they wouldn't win it. Man city's case may not go to court for a while anyway so give them a champions League place because I think it's highly unlikely they won't finish in the top 4. (Would have to re think it a bit of the ban is kept in place) then perhaps have a mini tournament for the other champions League places. It does seem harsh on Leicester so maybe they should get some kind of advantage because there is a big gap between them and man utd. I'm not sure how far down you would go. I wouldn't go any further that Sheffield utd though as I think that would be to far. Relegation again some kind of mini tournament with the bottom 6 teams. I think it's very unlikely Southampton would go down so I would stop it at Brighton.

It's not a perfect system but it seems fairer than points per game and not as high risk as finishing the season. This would all have to be done behind closed doors. Again not great but the only way I think.

On 01/05/2020 at 18:18, Stan said:

I agree. I think they probably do know the plans and future arrangements or considerations for next 2-3 seasons based on what's happened but perhaps they don't want to publicise it yet for fear of further criticism. Plus they probably don't want to publish plans because if it doesn't go ahead for reasons out of their control, they also won't face any backlash.

I know not everything is about money to us, but there's probably so many sponsorships and legal aspects UEFA are considering so that they try and avoid as little money loss as possible, be that fines or losing out on TV deals etc.  

I suspect they will all be suffering from being too optimistic... And I think that will be because the financial situation requires them to be because even the hit they have taken already is unthinkably large, and admitting that 18 months plus till a vaccine means 18 months plus until full stadiums is several levels beyond catastrophic and therefore beyond comprehension.

• The title was changed to Coronavirus & The Premier League

Archived