talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

57 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s more fair than just relegating the bottom 3 as it stands isn’t it?

No solution is going to be totally fair. 5 subs is probably to limit injury since most of the players, if not all of them, won’t be match fit in time for the season to resume.

That first sentence isn’t relevant though, is it? It’s not we either have five subs or we relegate the bottom three as it stands. 

Players are back in full contact training and will have been for the best part of three weeks before the season resumes, including teams playing friendlies, which has been confirmed. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That first sentence isn’t relevant though, is it? It’s not we either have five subs or we relegate the bottom three as it stands. 

Players are back in full contact training and will have been for the best part of three weeks before the season resumes, including teams playing friendlies, which has been confirmed. 

How many friendlies does it take to get match fit would you say? And how many friendlies are they going to have in 2 weeks?

Any attempt at getting match fitness at this point is just in desperation of having the league resume and not have competitive matches look like closed door friendlies - but I doubt full squads will be match fit.

It’s an injury risk having players that have turned down then intensity for months being asked to play with full intensity. Considering the risks of playing during a pandemic, I don’t think it’s unfair for players and clubs to want to avoid injury.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How many friendlies does it take to get match fit would you say? And how many friendlies are they going to have in 2 weeks?

Any attempt at getting match fitness at this point is just in desperation of having the league resume and not have competitive matches look like closed door friendlies - but I doubt full squads will be match fit.

It’s an injury risk having players that have turned down then intensity for months being asked to play with full intensity. Considering the risks of playing during a pandemic, I don’t think it’s unfair for players and clubs to want to avoid injury.

No idea, I’m not a sports scientist but you’re looking at 3-4 weeks of contact training, a week or so of non-contact and a game or two in the shape of a friendly. 

I’m just curious as to who has voted this in when a lot of the Premier League is undecided and games will be effected by such a change. 

15 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

No idea, I’m not a sports scientist but you’re looking at 3-4 weeks of contact training, a week or so of non-contact and a game or two in the shape of a friendly. 

I’m just curious as to who has voted this in when a lot of the Premier League is undecided and games will be effected by such a change. 

I also have no idea. I'd assume it'd be more than a week or 2 of friendlies - just because of how most clubs have their pre-seasons structured in normal years. As a fellow not-a-sports-scientist that's just guessing, I suspect there'll be a lot more players who aren't match fit and we'll see a few more injuries.

How does the beginning of next season work? We don't really have any idea do we? I really hope it's not just rushed to a start after this season ends - I think that could really wear the players out physically.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I also have no idea. I'd assume it'd be more than a week or 2 of friendlies - just because of how most clubs have their pre-seasons structured in normal years. As a fellow not-a-sports-scientist that's just guessing, I suspect there'll be a lot more players who aren't match fit and we'll see a few more injuries.

How does the beginning of next season work? We don't really have any idea do we? I really hope it's not just rushed to a start after this season ends - I think that could really wear the players out physically.

They will rush the start of next year, I think. Especially with the Euros to think of. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

05F4063F-F109-4FBA-A548-11C7F7FC348C.thu

AC78AC07-C432-4253-953B-D9FCE2682AAF.thu

5066E835-C617-4811-8A6F-BA5FFD795601.thu

Get your diaries out lads

Doesn’t some speccy twat do this every summer and make up the opening round of fixtures to which people wank themselves into a coma to only find its rubbish?

23 minutes ago, Rick said:

Good. That should mean the rest of our games should go ahead in their respected stadiums. 

Our home games will be. I don't know about the other game at City. That will be up to GMP and their local authority I think.

I don't live in England but I don't understand why games can't be played at all grounds.

It's a smaller country than Paraguay, with much better public transport and proper connection. Unless the trains aren't running or something I don't see why movement will be so difficult.

In Peru we have taken the decision to play the remaining games in Lima but it makes sense as we were hit later than the UK by this virus + the country is massive. It's not like Exeter and Plymouth are here either. I think at worst Newcastle might be the toughest location.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I don't live in England but I don't understand why games can't be played at all grounds.

It's a smaller country than Paraguay, with much better public transport and proper connection. Unless the trains aren't running or something I don't see why movement will be so difficult.

I think it has nothing to do with travelling, the reasoning behind playing in neutral grounds was likely based on fears of crowds gathering outside of stadiums during their home matches. 

Just now, nudge said:

I think it has nothing to do with travelling, the reasoning behind playing in neutral grounds was likely based on fears of crowds gathering outside of stadiums during their home matches. 

That was my other guess, and I fear they will do this in Lima despite the single ground.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

They're due to be. 

The idea of neutral grounds was something whipped up by media. 

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Proper weird, these friendlies. Seen a few teams not mentioning scores, who played etc like it’s a secret. 

Tbh I wouldn’t mind if that was the norm for friendlies. We’d see less idiotic takes from matches that only exist to get players fit

29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I wouldn’t mind if that was the norm for friendlies. We’d see less idiotic takes from matches that only exist to get players fit

Disagree personally. 

I like to see who’s playing, what formations are used, what subs are used tbh and the score tbh, not to make some form or judgement just out of curiosity if nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Disagree personally. 

I like to see who’s playing, what formations are used, what subs are used tbh and the score tbh, not to make some form or judgement just out of curiosity if nothing else. 

Yeah, I think that's a pretty reasonable view and one that probably most fans have tbf. Mine is more getting annoyed about idiotic comments I've seen on the internet regarding friendlies... which in the grand scheme of things isn't really that big of a deal tbh.

Archived