talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Coronavirus & The Premier League

41 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

We've got 12 players out. It's a legitimate reason 

I know other clubs have done the same, but unless at least half of those are because of Covid, it isn't a legitimate reason at all.

This has got so badly out of hand. Teams with one Covid case getting games called off through a rule that's there in case of Covid emergencies.

The whole Premier League has become a farce over the past six weeks, but again because the majority can't see past the partisan angle of getting into a pissing contest over which teams have "cheated" the most and how our own club's reasons are more legitimate than everyone else's, the FA and Premier League are getting off pretty much scot-free. They're the ones who have failed to provide a transparent framework for how these things are decided and have enabled clubs to find every loophole going. Now a precedent has been set where enough teams have taken the piss that it's pretty much fair game for everyone. Teams are literally getting 2-3 of their strongest eleven out injured and trying to get two weeks off.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

What's even a bigger farce is that Arsenal are willingly letting players go out on loan this month whilst at the same time claiming they are short on numbers. 

Precisely. Let two out this week. No chance this should be called off. Even though it suits us as well 

32 minutes ago, Storts said:

No it isn’t. You have one Covid case. Injuries and afcon should not count 

This, 1000%. If teams hit the magic number to get a game called off through covid, call it off. If teams are citing injuries and AFCON (they know that this could be the case when they sign players), they’re failing to fulfil a fixture and should be punished as a result. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, shut up said:

You've had games called off and Conte has bitched about his squad for the past month, so zip it ;)

Games called off because we had a huge Covid outbreak and the training ground closed. You’ve got injuries and players away. Not a chance the PL should accept this request. And the hypocrisy of you to go along with it too, typical

Arsenal really taking the piss. They have a huge squad of over 50 players. They should use the youngsters. They knew Afcon was coming and those players shouldn't be counted! Disgraceful! 

18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Hopefully, a line is drawn under the farce the last month or so has become and common sense is applied from now on. I can’t see them forcing Arsenal to play though. 

As an aside, Arsenal 23’s are playing tonight. 

Not that I agree with my club exploiting the weak rules, but I think the rules should either now be scrapped and the 'fulfil a game or else' thinking needs to come back, or the rules need to be strengthened further so its purely COVID cases and not 'normal' injuries that can be accounted for when looking at the 13-player (+1 GK) threshold. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Both are available according to Matt Law, who now covers all three London clubs (Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal) You have 8 confirmed out with 2 up in the air (Saka & Soares) to which I'm sure at least one of them will be fit Sunday.  

This will leave you to 9 players out, which was the same amount of players we had out vs Wolves and were forced to play on. 

The source I read said they weren't. Have to see I guess. 

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well they do. You have to be able to have 13 players. Otherwise you have a legitimate reason to ask for the game to be cancelled 

You definitely have 13 players. Leeds have had to play a load of kids from their ranks, so you will have to do the same. If you’re allowed to use players away at the AFCON & Xaka being suspended as a way out of this game then we will have well and truly  seen it all. You’ve requested postponement not even 24hrs after playing most of your first 11 against us, yet you’re here trying to avoid admitting that your club is taking the piss. 

Pathetic, really. AFCON and injuries is an absolute cop out, even more so when they’ve loaned players out this week, are trying to offload another couple permanently and Arsenal U23’s played West Ham last night. It’s beyond farcical, as it has been since this nonsense begun but the precedent was set, so why wouldn’t you get big games called if you’ve got 3-4 players in Africa and another 3-4 injured/carrying knocks?

People thought we took the piss last week but Arsenal have taken it to a whole new level. 

Not attempting to get on any kind of high horse but at least we actually had injuries and a 'crisis' of a squad. Arsenal have 3 injuries and 1 Covid-19 case. Pathetic really. AFCON shouldn't be taken in to account for any club at all. 

Arsenal are missing the same amount of players we had against Wolves and their games gets postponed? We even had 4 cases of Covid. 

Honestly just fuck this season off. As Palace mentioned, a big fat asterisk on the premier league trophy. 

• Upvote 1

I get how it's happened, but the Premier League have let this descend into a total farce with their ruling. It's blatantly being bent by clubs left right and centre, my own likely included.

As usual it's the fans who miss out. Two away games I've been robbed of this week. We made a stupid late decision to book a train for Burnley a couple of days ago so I knew it'd happen.

Our situation is the biggest mess in the league. Burnley have five in hand, but we have four and we have only three guaranteed midweeks to play them in. My fear is that we end up just sacking off a winnable European competition, or worse, a cup game against Forest, to free up some space later in the season.

The season's become a complete farce though. It's just not serious, yet again.