talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

• Subscriber
On 30/12/2021 at 22:23, Smiley Culture said:

Maybe instead of tossers moaning about people daring to have the propensity to schedule football games these blokes should be looking closer to home. Six of their bosses wanted to set up their own competition where there was going to be EIGHTEEN group games per season, a 200% increase from what they do now. The faux anger lasted a week and it was brushed under the carpet much like the actual changes to the Champions League that were ushered in through the back door, four more teams to qualify for the Champions League and there to be ten group games. Why isn’t Tuchel and angry, angry Jürgen moaning about that and not Burnley, for daring to not be quite as good as Liverpool? Pre-covid all these sides would jump on a plane and hammer Asia, Africa and North America to sell shirts, this was never a problem mentioned in November by the managers but a bloody League Cup game where they weren’t even going to play a strong team and instead having squad numbers that add up to about 700, that’s the devil. We’ve just had a third European club competition added, it’s not even registered on manager’s radar.

Dyche has it right, we’re not asking a lot from Premier League footballers to play twice in two or three days, they suddenly fucking do it if a few million pound for appearing in Europe is on the cards but god forbid we ask them at Christmas.

If this is the future of football, shove it. 

All of this is what I think every time the cry-arsing about fixture congestion comes up. And I know it's been acknowledged that Premier League managers involved spoke out against the Super League but even then it was about the lack of relegation more than anything, they didn't raise concerns about the scheduling. Maybe it's harsh to expect them to when it was such a hypothetical.

Still, it pisses me right off the likes of Tuchel being here for five minutes suggesting we should scrap stuff like FA Cup replays or the entire League Cup.

The only thing I'll add to what has already been said a thousand times is that I still think the Champions League should be streamlined. The majority of groups it's pretty obvious which two teams are going to qualify and having six sets of midweek fixtures to resolve what's often inevitable just seems daft. If the genuine concern was fixture congestion, it would be just as legitimate to suggest that the Champions League knockouts should be a single legged affair and tough luck if you get drawn away, or that they should only play each other once in the Group Stage, which would even offer up the option for them to play one home game, one away game, and then one neutral venue game out in the US or Abu Dhabi which we all know they've been gagging for for years. Yet it's never the Champions League that needs streamlining is it? It's perfectly reasonable for teams that reach the Final of a tournament which is realistically between about eight teams to play thirteen midweek games. And they want to make it bigger don't they?

The casual ignorance and acceptance of the hypocrisy in the media really is an embarrassment.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently we can’t field a full XI with our senior squad OR our academy currently :o

New training facility with the academy and first team under the same roof backfiring almost immediately xD

Fuck covid

Has that been confirmed to be the case? When the training ground closed the other day they only mentioned the first team facility being closed. Then when I saw the under 18s Youth Cup match get called off it had to be either they'd be playing on Sunday v Shrewsbury or they can't train themselves.

Anyway, Liverpool have 50odd professional footballers, surely they can put a side together to play one match without being able to train all week? :whistling:

36 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Has that been confirmed to be the case? When the training ground closed the other day they only mentioned the first team facility being closed. Then when I saw the under 18s Youth Cup match get called off it had to be either they'd be playing on Sunday v Shrewsbury or they can't train themselves.

Anyway, Liverpool have 50odd professional footballers, surely they can put a side together to play one match without being able to train all week? :whistling:

I've seen an estimate from one of the journos on twitter saying around 90% of the people who work in the facility are infected.

Thats incredibly noble of Liverpool to reopen the training ground ahead of this weekends fixture. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the FA cannot reschedule another League game in the time frame that Salah and Mane are at AFCON because of the League Cup postponement.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Thats incredibly noble of Liverpool to reopen the training ground ahead of this weekends fixture. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the FA cannot reschedule another League game in the time frame that Salah and Mane are at AFCON because of the League Cup postponement.

What?

25 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How many players do LIverpool even have out?

They've not said. That Athletic article just said 'heavily depleted'. We had 11 out I think before the AFCON players went and the Covid outbreak. I suppose we'll find out more when Krawietz takes the press conference tomorrow.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Southampton asking the league to not allow players to play if they were registered after the original date of a postponed match is legitimately pathetic.

Why? 

I think it's quite reasonable. 

Same applies for FA Cup replays (when they're played). New signings who weren't registered for the original tie aren't allowed to play. Same should apply here. 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

What?

Having the Arsenal League Cup game rearranged to the 20th ensured you cannot have a league fixture without your African players scheduled in to that week like many Premier League clubs are doing. Your outstanding fixture with Leeds is very likely to take place from Gameweek 30 onwards when you now have a full squad. 

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why? 

I think it's quite reasonable. 

Same applies for FA Cup replays (when they're played). New signings who weren't registered for the original tie aren't allowed to play. Same should apply here. 

Newcastle will have egg on there face if that happens given there fixture was conveiniently cancelled after there only two players of Premier League quality got injured.

I thought it was fair for new signings to be banned from rearranged games. Until someone pointed out that it means clubs won't or can't sell players. Once you consider that it's a bit more grey.

Southampton are complaining because they are rattled to fuck.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Devil-Dick Willie you know a bit about this stuff. How long would players need to recover at the intensity the premier league is played at? 

Without suffering greatly increased chance of injury, or diminishing intensity? I think 2 football games per week most weeks is the most you could reasonably do, but having those weeks of 6 days off is a necessary blessing too. 

On 07/01/2022 at 02:32, RondónEFC said:

All of this is what I think every time the cry-arsing about fixture congestion comes up. And I know it's been acknowledged that Premier League managers involved spoke out against the Super League but even then it was about the lack of relegation more than anything, they didn't raise concerns about the scheduling. Maybe it's harsh to expect them to when it was such a hypothetical.

Still, it pisses me right off the likes of Tuchel being here for five minutes suggesting we should scrap stuff like FA Cup replays or the entire League Cup.

The only thing I'll add to what has already been said a thousand times is that I still think the Champions League should be streamlined. The majority of groups it's pretty obvious which two teams are going to qualify and having six sets of midweek fixtures to resolve what's often inevitable just seems daft. If the genuine concern was fixture congestion, it would be just as legitimate to suggest that the Champions League knockouts should be a single legged affair and tough luck if you get drawn away, or that they should only play each other once in the Group Stage, which would even offer up the option for them to play one home game, one away game, and then one neutral venue game out in the US or Abu Dhabi which we all know they've been gagging for for years. Yet it's never the Champions League that needs streamlining is it? It's perfectly reasonable for teams that reach the Final of a tournament which is realistically between about eight teams to play thirteen midweek games. And they want to make it bigger don't they?

The casual ignorance and acceptance of the hypocrisy in the media really is an embarrassment.

You should scrap the entire league cup. It's been pointless for well over a decade. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You should scrap the entire league cup. It's been pointless for well over a decade. 

Pointless to who? It isn't pointless to the bottom 14 teams in the Premier League. In fact even Man City and possibly some of the rest of the Super League Six don't seem to think it's pointless and try to win it every season. The teams outside the Premier League wouldn't say this either.

Archived