29 members have voted

1. 1. Mohamed Salah or Juan Cuadrado?

2. 2. Pedro or Roberto Baggio?

3. 3. Angel Di Maria or Lionel Messi?

4. 4. Freddie Ljungberg or Gareth Bale?

• Freddie Ljungberg
    • Gareth Bale
  5. 5. Alexis Sanchez or Luis Figo?

6. 6. Xherdan Shaqiri or Ricardo Quaresma?

• Xherdan Shaqiri
    • Ricardo Quaresma
  7. 7. Arjen Robben or Hulk?

• Arjen Robben
    • Hulk
  8. 8. Dimitri Payet or David Beckham?

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Wait is this serious or part of the Lahm banter?

I don't know if you missed it but there was a thread which was in the General Football section where I basically begged people to nominate whoever they could think of and just said yes to everyone because I wanted 16 for each position. There are ample German/Bundesliga fans on this forum who had the same opportunity to contribute as everyone else yet are genrally the only ones kicking off about it now these threads are going up.

Don’t think it has to do with Germans not voting, more so that it’s common knowledge to include them. And in honesty I think plenty have been rightfully added. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Wait is this serious or part of the Lahm banter?

I don't know if you missed it but there was a thread which was in the General Football section where I basically begged people to nominate whoever they could think of and just said yes to everyone because I wanted 16 for each position. There are ample German/Bundesliga fans on this forum who had the same opportunity to contribute as everyone else yet are genrally the only ones kicking off about it now these threads are going up.

Yes, I must have missed that mate and thanks for explaining how they were nominated. It makes more sense now, as certain people are going to select their particular favourite players and nominate them for the vote. I won't fuss anymore now that has been cleared up. ;) 

Well done with organising all this by the way, I am sure that everyone one on here appreciates the effort that you have put in.

44 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Don’t think it has to do with Germans not voting, more so that it’s common knowledge to include them. And in honesty I think plenty have been rightfully added. 

I think you've made it apparent that you don't rate German players and German teams, despite the success they have had over the last 20 years, including this season, where the German clubs are dominating Europe. You agree with the nominations and you agree with the selection of very few Germans throughout the nominations for various positions, because you don't rate German players. It's not necessarily common sense is it, it's your opinion. Which is fine, as you are entitled to it.

By the way, I never nominated any players for these votes, which is my own fault of course. I don't think all the Bundesliga followers did either. I would definitely have had nominated a few more German players if I had seen the option to nominate. Anyway, it doesn't matter and it's just a fun game, which is for people to enjoy.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

I think you've made it apparent that you don't rate German players and German teams, despite the success they have had over the last 20 years, including this season, where the German clubs are dominating Europe. You agree with the nominations and you agree with the selection of very few Germans throughout the nominations for various positions, because you don't rate German players. It's not necessarily common sense is it, it's your opinion. Which is fine, as you are entitled to it.

By the way, I never nominated any players for these votes, which is my own fault of course. I don't think all the Bundesliga followers did either. I would definitely have had nominated a few more German players if I had seen the option to nominate. Anyway, it doesn't matter and it's just a fun game, which is for people to enjoy.

Well thats because the best Germans are, defenders or midfielders. Forwards was usually their weakest point. Would you include Schurle?

You missed the point anyways. I was saying that Germans would have voted for themselves and not by Germans outright. Just cos I'm Peruvian doesn't mean I'll vote for German Carty as forward! :D 

9 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Is for me. He had that spell in the mid 10’s where he scored a few and was suddenly amazing. Only 3 double digit goal scoring seasons in 8 years in that Barcelona team? Even @Carnivore Chris thinks Baggio was better and he’s the go to guy for Barcelona on here. It’s only my opinion though. For me, Baggio did more in 4 seasons at Brescia than Pedro has managed in his career. Yes he’s been involved in multiple titles and European cups, but his importance has been completely overstated. Again, just an opinion.

I loved Pedro, he's underappreciated but Baggio was much better. A world star who was one of the stand outs of his era.

I wouldn't necessarily say this century, but overall he is easily. I would in fact say he's the best player on the list after Messi. Well himself and Figo.

I'm personally finished with only including the 21st century now also. I'm just voting for who I think is the better player now.

8 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Well thats because the best Germans are, defenders or midfielders. Forwards was usually their weakest point. Would you include Schurle?

You missed the point anyways. I was saying that Germans would have voted for themselves and not by Germans outright. Just cos I'm Peruvian doesn't mean I'll vote for German Carty as forward! :D 

Does the name Miroslav Klose for one ever come to mind, as far as forwards are concerned? Thomas Muller can also be classed as a forward etc.

I understand your point about the voting and where people are from. But I think that sometimes there is a bias(maybe innocent sometimes) for people to vote for players from countries or leagues that they are fans of. For me, that has become quite apparent in some of the nominations that have been listed. Again, this is just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

Does the name Miroslav Klose for one ever come to mind, as far as forwards are concerned? Thomas Muller can also be classed as a forward etc.

I understand your point about the voting and where people are from. But I think that sometimes there is a bias(maybe innocent sometimes) for people to vote for players from countries or leagues that they are fans of. For me, that has become quite apparent in some of the nominations that have been listed. Again, this is just my opinion.

Muller is included in the forwards section. I know he can also be classed as a right winger though. I thought Klose was great, even at club level. I just think this century they've had less wingers than their other positions. 

Again, I think the Germans would have been included because they are good, and the ones that are here are deserved. Now if you want to debate that they should have won vs certain player, that's a whole different ball game! :) 

7 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Sanchez > Figo

There I said it. I'm more than likely in the minority, but I really rate Sanchez that highly.

I think you're either drunk, wanting to fight, or too young to remember Figo in his Prime. 

Whatever it is, just don't lose your shit if/when people start attacking your love for Sanchez over Figo. 

Just now, Eco said:

I think you're either drunk, wanting to fight, or too young to remember Figo in his Prime. 

Whatever it is, just don't lose your shit if/when people start attacking your love for Sanchez over Figo. 

Too young to remember Figo in his prime, yes. I did see a bit of him in the older World Cup games but not enough context for a broad picture.

However, despite a long lived prime (similar to Ronaldinho), Sanchez was the 5th best player in the world in his prime for me. He was by far the most influential factor to single handedly lead Chile to a Copa America title in 2016 and was sensational for Arsenal and his last few years at Barca.

Figo was good but it's easy to forget how good Sanchez was as well just cos of a short lived longevity and being shite for Manchester United and Inter.

@Eco just for the record, Alexis Sanchez scored 60 goals in 122 appearances for Arsenal, while Figo could only manage 38 for Real Madrid at 164 appearances.

Of course, goals aren't everything and could vary depending on different play styles. It's not as ludicrous as it sounds though. I genuinely think nostalgia makes it tougher to see the broader picture of newer players. Especially those who have had a disastrous end of career. Look at Iker Casillas. He was one of the best goalkeepers in my lifetime, but nobody talks about him like they do Buffon because he had an atrocious end of his career.

Sanchez was the best Chilean to ever play the game and maybe the 5th best player in the world during his prime. He was excellent in his final 2 years at Barca, fantastic throughout his entire Arsenal career and did what seemed the impossible with Chile: win 2 Copa America's and being the defining factor in the 2016 edition.

Well aware I'm in the minority but it is what it is.

On 29/02/2020 at 07:40, Carnivore Chris said:

I loved Pedro, he's underappreciated but Baggio was much better. A world star who was one of the stand outs of his era.

I wouldn't necessarily say this century, but overall he is easily. I would in fact say he's the best player on the list after Messi. Well himself and Figo.

I'm personally finished with only including the 21st century now also. I'm just voting for who I think is the better player now.

I would say Figo is the best from this list, Baggio 2nd and probably Messi 3rd.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived