football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Scottish roads warning as preparations made for heavy rain

Landslide.thumb.png.9d0c2d63e026f6491246cfe4f13d5f81.png

Road operator Bear Scotland has put its workforce on standby following forecasts of heavy rain.

A yellow warning has been issued by the Met Office for parts of Scotland from 03:00 on Monday until 09:00 on Tuesday.

The warning covers much of the West Highlands, Argyll, southwest Scotland, the central belt and Fife.

As a precaution, the A83 Rest and Be Thankful in Argyll was closed from 18:00 on Sunday. A diversion on the Old Military Road is being used.

On Sunday, Eddie Ross of Bear Scotland said: "The weather forecast for Monday and Tuesday indicates that heavy rainfall is expected, which could have an impact on the hillside situated above the A83.

"We continue to implement a safety-first approach and have taken the decision to close the A83 at the Rest and Be Thankful from 6 pm this evening with all traffic diverted via the Old Military Road through the glen.

"Our geotechnical team will monitor conditions throughout Monday and Tuesday with a view to reopening the A83 once the weather front has passed and following a thorough safety inspection."

He added: "We encourage all road users to plan ahead and check Traffic Scotland for the latest travel advice before setting out."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54590945

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bedfordindependent.co.uk/reservist-retrieves-poppy-collection-tin-from-thief-on-remembrance-sunday/

An army reservist, waiting to take part in an online Remembrance Day parade on Sunday, gave chase to a thief who had stolen two charity tins from a nearby shop.

The poppy appeal and cancer charity collection tins were swiped from the counter of the Tesco Express on Bedford High Street.

Alerted by a customer as the robber ran towards Castle Lane, Joe Lioinetti, 27, who works with his father Libby at La Piazza in St Paul’s Square, vaulted the railings onto the High Street and pursued the man towards the river.

“A customer shouted out that someone had just nicked the charity tins from Tesco,” Joe told the Bedford Independent.

“I’ve seen him running off down Castle Lane, so my dad and I chased after him. I jumped over the fence; my dad had to walk round.”

The thief headed past FatCap Smokehouse with Joe giving chase. “He saw me, but I tried to look casual so I wouldn’t startle him.

“I caught up with him on Castle Mound and took the charity tins off him, reminding him that it was Remembrance Sunday. He made off before the police arrived.

The whole incident took under 10 minutes, meaning Joe was back at La Piazza in time to take part in his regiment’s virtual Remembrance Day parade on Zoom.

Private Lionetti is an army reservist in 158 Regiment and when he’s not volunteering, he works full time at his family’s popular town centre cafe.

“I’ve been a reservist for six years and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done,” said Joe.

“My dad’s a special constable and seeing him volunteering in his spare time inspired me. I’ve travelled all over the world and this year I was deployed to Leicester and Nottingham to help with their lockdown measures.

“Our regiment even had a Zoom call with the Prime Minister about our work in Leicester.”

Joe has worked at La Piazza for the last 10 years and the aim is for him to take over when Libby retires.

“It’s such a great location and focal point for people in the town centre,” said Joe. “I just want to carry on the legacy that my dad has built up.”

He also thanked Gary Barrell and the town centre CCTV team for their help.

• Subscriber

The Great Fire of Edinburgh: The blaze that shook the city to its core in 1824

The fire destroyed over 400 homes and took 13 lives as it tore its way through the city, changing firefighting in Edinburgh forever

0_greatfireofedin.jpg

The fire took 13 lives after it started in a local engraving shop

It was a fire that shook the city to its core and forever changed the face of firefighting in Scotland.

Today marks the 196th anniversary of the ‘Great Fire of Edinburgh’, a horrific series of events which led to many residents losing their homes, and others sadly to lose their lives.

One of the most destructive fires in the capital's history, the blaze began in 1824 and burned for five whole days.

As luck would have it, Edinburgh had introduced its first fire brigade two months before the blaze began. The service was the first of its kind in the UK, and possibly even Europe.

But despite still being in its infancy, the brave teams' skills were put to the test, after the fateful fire began just off the Royal Mile.

At around 10 pm on November 15, an engraving shop in Old Assembly Close caught alight, with the flames quickly gaining force.

The firefighters tried to make their way into the shop but found it extremely difficult to get their equipment down the close.

Sadly, this time allowed the fire to take a serious hold, latching onto the adjoining buildings.

The sky in Edinburgh was aglow that night with the light of the fire, as it rampaged through the Old Town.

In just a couple of hours, the flames had caught a whole row of tenement buildings and then burnt the Old Assembly Hall to the ground.

Sadly, this was just day one of the fire, with crews struggling to even keep it at bay, let alone put it out.

Hundreds of people had to flee their homes as the blaze made its way through the Cowgate, and eventually caught the Tron Kirk.

Quickly, the entire roof of the church began to burn, as the spire melted into the ground.

During the fire, over 400 homes were destroyed, leaving many with nowhere to return to.

0_great_fire_of_edinburgh_by_d_o_hill.jp 

The Tron Kirk saw its spire melt, with molten lead pouring off of the building (Image: By David Octavius Hill (1802–1870): Wikimedia Commons)

Then, just as the city thought the fire was beginning to settle, a second blaze began at Parliament Close, (now Parliament Square).

Tragically, 13 people lost their lives as the fire continued to burn, with crews only just able to stop the flames from reaching St Giles Cathedral.

However, the cathedral was left ‘scorched’, with huge ash stains covering the brickwork.

Finally, after days of watching the city crumble under the flames, a heavy night of rain was able to help get the blaze under control.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in-edinburgh/great-fire-edinburgh-blaze-shook-19284426?fbclid=IwAR3w5Cz0O2G8opeW3036E9plse3eiAL2oK7F8gJFNLcKN_1xCx75EK845t8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

'Blackout' as power cut affects Edinburgh to the Scottish Borders

614193386_download(2).thumb.png.7e0c4dbb0e676cd051e23645dd35b735.png

A large swathe of Edinburgh and the Scottish Borders was plunged into darkness following a power outage on Sunday night.

SP Energy Networks said about 88,000 homes experienced the power cut just after 21:00.

Households in the capital were affected, as well as properties as far south as West Linton and Cardrona.

The power cut, due to a fault on the transmission network, lasted for up to 45 minutes.

Crime writer Ian Rankin, who lives in Edinburgh, tweeted to say: 

Others tweeted they had no mobile phone signal and that the streets were "eerie" as street lights had switched off.

Louise Shanahan tweeted: "Creepy little blackout there... we're back on now in south Edinburgh. Very disconcerting having no comms at all."

A spokeswoman for SP Energy Networks said the scale of the outage was "highly unusual".

She added: "We're sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank everyone affected for their understanding while we worked to restore supplies."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-55979665

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Lothian Buses suspends evening services following attacks

download.thumb.png.0ecd28fca4ee18064db7b6553adc0849.png

Edinburgh's biggest bus operator will stop all its services in the capital and Lothians this evening following months of attacks.

Lothian Buses, which operates hundreds of buses, said its vehicles would not run after 19:30 except its NightBus service which starts after midnight.

It said it had taken the unprecedented step following months of incidents of antisocial behaviour.

Police have charged 18 people in connection with the recent attacks.

Lothian Buses said it would decide on Thursday if it would continue the measure.

Large stones were thrown at the windows of eight moving buses in two areas of Edinburgh on Monday evening.

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

Tower light show starts Sir Walter Scott celebrations

download.thumb.png.410d9d9302a13cff2d0ca379ccdd9b4c.png

A light show is set to launch celebrations of the 250th anniversary of the birth of Sir Walter Scott.

It will see Smailholm Tower in the Borders lit up in tribute to the influential author.

Scott was born in Edinburgh on 15 August 1771 and is often considered the inventor of historical fiction.

He had strong Borders connections and lived for many years at Abbotsford House which hosts a huge collection of items related to the writer.

1750766459_download(1).thumb.png.de733fec6129a89376229d58b5efb8d0.png

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

Digital images made of Leith medieval graveyard skulls

download.thumb.png.884ffab19717d1dadec12f39e12f5690.png

Forensic artists have reconstructed the faces of people who lived in Edinburgh's Leith area up to 700 years ago.

Their remains were among more than 360 bodies uncovered during excavations of a medieval graveyard dating back to between the 14th and 17th centuries.

The dig was done as part of work to build almost three miles (5km) of the tramway to connect Leith and Newhaven.

University of Dundee masters graduate students worked on the digital images.

Glasgow-based Guard Archaeology and City of Edinburgh Council's archaeologist were also involved.

Digital versions of skulls, discovered during excavations outside South Leith Parish Church, were made using 3D scanners.

The scans were the basis for the "lifelike representations" created of a man and woman who were both aged between 35 and 50.

Early forensic analysis suggests the woman may have suffered from nutritional deficiencies.

1180945986_download(1).thumb.png.13a01f0e5849d936df69fde689ee0488.png

Council transport and environment convener Lesley Macinnes said the images offered a "fascinating insight into the lives of the people who lived in our city centuries ago".

She said: "The work being carried out now will not only shed light on the area's past but will help to conserve it for many years to come."

Council archaeologist John Lawson added: "Often, we as archaeologists just see the physical remains but the work undertaken by Dundee University's forensic artists helps put the flesh, so to speak, back on to these remains and by doing so I feel brings them closer to us today.''

Excavations were carried out last summer outside South Leith Parish Church, Constitution Street, where previous investigations showed that in the medieval period the church's graveyard extended across the road with graves surviving beneath the current road surface.

A team of archaeologists, who were working to remove any human remains that could be affected by the tram works, exhumed more than 360 bodies dating from between 1300 and 1650.

They also found the apparent remnants of the original medieval graveyard wall.

The remains are now subject to examination and analysis to reveal information on the origins, health, diseases and diet of the people of medieval Leith.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-56523810

• Subscriber

Edinburgh woman discovers untouched WWII air raid shelter in her tenement

Mia Gray and her neighbours found the intact room after it had been stuffed full of clutter for years.

2093639477_25757_1-PIA24543-Curiositys-Selfie-at-Mont-Mercou-main-web.thumb.jpg.b3264b6103ba362e1e11a74d278baf75.jpg

An Edinburgh woman stunned after discovering an untouched WWII air raid shelter in her tenement building.

Mia Gray, 33, unearthed the forgotten piece of history that had been sitting full of junk for years, with her and other neighbours initially believing it was an old store cupboard.

In December 2016, Mia moved into the property in Inverleith along with her husband and young sons but never gave the cupboard a second look until years later.

Speaking to Edinburgh Live, the mum-of-two explained that it was only when a new neighbour, Liz Mowbray moved into the building and asked her about the space did she think to properly check it out.

After organising a clear out with Liz, the real purpose of the room was finally discovered.

She added: "When we first moved in we just assumed it was a store cupboard in the basement, the door was slightly ajar but it just looked full of rubbish - old paint cans and carpet offcuts etc so we never ventured in.

"Then a new neighbour moved in and asked about it and discovered the rubbish didn’t belong to anyone that currently lived there so she arranged for it to be cleared out.

Despite not being as much of a target as other cities like London, Edinburgh was still bombed during the war, with areas of Leith and the Forth Bridge both being prominent spots for strikes.

Prepared for all eventualities and long nights in the shelter, the room was still equipped with a number of items that would have helped residents be comfortable for extended periods of time.

0_JS231648497.thumb.jpg.1578bed86203a2a28c480e97f5f666b3.jpg

download.thumb.png.4849571b880519ebbd4e503dcaa1892d.png

FULL REPORT

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Fucking weirdo, apparently the other day at our local park, Leith Links, 2 young kiddies run-up to a lady (a mother) asking if she could walk with them as some guy in a weird suit like the photo kept following them, she did and reported him to the police, I wished I was there, I would have kicked him in the nuts then reported him. 

Scottish 'plague doctor' who terrified children is spoken to by the police

Police believe a male youth is responsible for dressing up in a creepy costume and chatting to the youngsters outside their school.

download.thumb.png.b58a9f94e8f4657e3a3a6acd8e4a61b6.png

A creepy figure dressed as a 17th Century plague doctor has been given a warning by police after scaring families and children in Falkirk.

Almost two weeks ago the first strange sighting of the person happened in Bo'ness, and since then there have been multiple social media reports of the figure 'haunting' people in the area.

Residents say their kids were left 'terrified' after spotting the 'plague doctor', with parents urging them to stop what they are doing, reports the Daily Record.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "We are aware of reports made to police and online about a person dressed in 'plague doctor' clothing.

"We have identified the male youth who was seen and he has been visited by officers who have offered appropriate advice to him.

"We have no reports of any criminal activity and officers have been out in the community providing reassurance, including speaking at schools in the area."

edinburghlive

18 hours ago, Stan said:

That's a fucking sad way to go :( 

It's got some The Boys S1:E1 vibes - one of those things that seems surreal on in a show (that's a pretty surreal show tbh), but then you see something like that's happened in real life almost (minus... super heroes) and it almost seems more surreal.

I think the person who killed themselves is an absolute dickhead - I get that he was in a bad place and I feel for him in that regard and I understand people who kill themselves are usually suffering from debilitating depression or have other serious issues... so not really because he killed himself. I feel bad for him that he killed himself. But he's a fucking arsehole doing it at one of the busiest areas of downtown San Diego - there's so much foot traffic in that area, the likelihood of him landing on someone was actually really fucking high I think. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Solar eclipse: Shetland 'will be the best place in the UK for view'

download.thumb.png.abdd9784b020df9acaf192f42c625b54.png

Shetland is expected to have the best view in the UK of a solar eclipse on Thursday, experts have said.

Some parts of the world will see the annular eclipse or so-called ring of fire in full, but from the UK there will be a partial solar eclipse.

Shetland is expected to have a 39% obscuration, which indicates how much of the Sun's disc area is covered as a percentage.

It is followed by Lochinver at 36.8%, Inverness at 35% and Edinburgh at 31%.

The spectacle will begin shortly after 10:00 and will last for more than two hours, with the quality of view-dependent on clear skies.

The locational figures have been detailed by the BBC's Sky at Night Magazine, ahead of Thursday morning's eclipse.

They show that Belfast is to have an obscuration of 30%, with Newcastle seeing 28%, Penzance is at just under 22%, and London is expected to see 20% obscuration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-57385856

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Edinburgh flooding: Half of July rain fell in one hour

VIDEO

download.thumb.png.eae1ee31e3ec88fb5e39467776027cf9.png

Edinburgh was hit with nearly half of its average July rainfall in under an hour on Sunday, as storms caused flooding across the city.

Trains were stopped and homes and businesses fought to keep the water out. The newly-opened St James Quarter shopping centre was also affected.

Council flood prevention teams are working with Scottish Water to find blockages and clear surface water.

A yellow warning of rain and a Sepa flood alert remains in place on Monday.

Edinburgh council said up to 37mm of rain had fallen - beyond the capacity of the city's drains and sewerage system.

Councillor Lesley Macinnes, transport and environment convener, said: "Our roads and flood prevention teams have worked extremely hard, throughout Sunday and overnight, to minimise the impact of this intense, sudden downpour.

"No city's drainage systems are designed to cope with the sort of short, sharp volume of water.

FULL REPORT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Police officer injured in Edinburgh Castle protest

9d5d4d5c-ea5c-4c81-97aa-aa2f3c7d96ff.png

A police officer was injured while making an arrest during a protest at Edinburgh Castle.

Historic Environment Scotland said a group of about 20 people entered the building on Tuesday afternoon without paying and refused to leave.

In a Facebook live video, a woman claimed they were taking the castle back under Article 61 of Magna Carta, the 800-year-old charter of rights.

Police said one officer sustained minor injuries during an arrest of a man.

A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

What is Article 61?

Magna Carta, signed in 1215 by England's King John, was a royal charter of rights designed to bring peace between the king and his barons. As it predates the Act of Union it has no bearing on Scots law.

Although it is one of the foundational documents of English law, only four parts of Magna Carta remain valid today.

None of those still-valid clauses allow citizens to decide which laws should apply to them.

The portion that the activists have been citing, Article 61, was struck from Magna Carta within a year of its signing, and only applied to a small group of barons in the first place, according to fact-checking website Full Fact.

However, it is often referenced as a justification for protests by anti-establishment groups, such as anti-lockdown protesters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-58254322

• Subscriber

Edinburgh's George IV Bridge fire: Disruption after old town blaze

download.png

One person has been taken to hospital as fire crews tackled a large blaze which broke out at Edinburgh's George IV Bridge.

Police Scotland closed several roads in the city's old town on Tuesday morning.

The alarm was raised shortly after 6am by a cleaner at Edinburgh's Elephant House cafe - where JK Rowling wrote sections of her Harry Potter books.

FULL REPORT

Archived