talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Agnelli: 'Should Atalanta be in Champions League?'

“I have great respect for everything that Atalanta are doing, but without international history and thanks to just one great season, they had direct access into the primary European club competition. Is that right or not?”

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The problem is the game is littered with cunts with this thinking now - they're eating the sport from the inside. I'd love it to all go bang personally. Would quite gladly see it.

• Subscriber

It's all just a tactic to try and protect the established clubs. That's why Manchester City have been stung - they're not a fancy enough club. It's why FFP was brought in in the first place. They used clubs like Portsmouth as an excuse to bring it in.

• Subscriber

The last time Juventus won the CL/European cup was 1996. I don't see how anyone can even make stupid comments like have been made here. They aren't even second in the list of best Italian clubs to be 'successful' in this competition - Milan and Inter are ahead of them.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

It's all just a tactic to try and protect the established clubs. That's why Manchester City have been stung - they're not a fancy enough club. It's why FFP was brought in in the first place. They used clubs like Portsmouth as an excuse to bring it in.

I'm sure Juve are actually pretty worried about FFP and what's happened with Man Cheaty (I love calling them this, don't give a fuck if it's not mature xD). With the Jeep/Chrysler/FIAT ownership situation + the Jeep sponsorship may be a bit of the same kind of dodgy dealing that Man Cheaty got caught for.

1 hour ago, La Magica said:

Rube's history is 7 champions league final loses without the ref's help.  In a one off game, Id take Atalanta as the best side in Italy right now. Nobody else comes close to being able to smash a side like them. 

This is certainly true. This year Juve have shown to be beatable, and Atalanta might give up 3 goals, but they could be winning 7-3. Unreal how deadly they are. 

This is just more of a reason to despise everything Juventus stands for. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm sure Juve are actually pretty worried about FFP and what's happened with Man Cheaty (I love calling them this, don't give a fuck if it's not mature xD). With the Jeep/Chrysler/FIAT ownership situation + the Jeep sponsorship may be a bit of the same kind of dodgy dealing that Man Cheaty got caught for.

I'd be amazed if Juventus got done for anything. They've got too many people involved where it counts.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

So the great continue to be great and the little continue to be little. 

Great mindset 

Meritocracy essentially. Something conservative right leaning individuals and governments favour. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Batard said:

Meritocracy essentially. Something conservative right leaning individuals and governments favour. 

Depends how you're defining meritocracy in this instance. They have a very different definition of it in this instance to me.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

6 minutes ago, Midfield General said:

Disgusting club but should we expect anymore from them?  I wonder what old man Falc's take on this would be?

Welcome !

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Dan said:

Depends how you're defining meritocracy in this instance. They have a very different definition of it in this instance to me.

Meritocracy meaning you're where you deserve to be. Which means if you're a bog cleaner you deserve to be a bog cleaner as that's your place. Agnelli clearly believes Atalanta should get back to their bog cleaning 

8 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Can any real person actually hold this as a genuine belief? Club presidents should be purged and replaced with someone who is actually connected with and speaks on behalf of their members.

What a bellend, so only teams with International success can play in Europe? Not many would play in it then by that logic. Atalanta is a great team, they play exciting football and are very interesting to watch. Hope they continue being successful.

4 hours ago, True Blue said:

What a bellend, so only teams with International success can play in Europe? Not many would play in it then by that logic. Atalanta is a great team, they play exciting football and are very interesting to watch. Hope they continue being successful.

Yes, but the thing that really gets me, is that this idiot said that Atalanta are in the Champions League "thanks to just one great season". This quote just confirms how moronic his statement is. Atalanta finished 3rd in Serie A last season, which was a great achievement for them. But listening to this cretin Agnelli, you'd be excused if you thought that Atalanta were currently fighting relegation. However, the reality is that Atalanta are having another superb season in Serie A. They are currently in 4th place in Serie A(they could still potentially finish in 3rd), which is again a position that will take them to the Champions League again next season!

Moreover, anyone who has followed Atalanta this season in Serie A, will notice that they have been destroying opposition on a regular basis by scoring 5 or 6 or 7 goals a game past them. In fact, they have scored 7 goals in single Serie A matches on 3 occasions this season:

Atalanta 7-1 Udinese

Torino 0-7 Atalanta

Lecce 2-7 Atalanta

How many sides have done that this season in Serie A? The answer is none, not even Agnelli's beloved Juventus. Serie A League leaders Lazio, Inter Milan and Napoli all couldn't defeat Atalanta in Serie A this season, despite the fact they had home advantage. While Roma, the team that are currently 5th in Serie A, just behind Atalanta in the league table, have lost to Atalanta both home and away this season!

Clearly Atalanta are having another great season in Serie A and Agnelli's comments have absolutely no vindication. Agnelli has just made himself look really ignorant, with the words that he has said.

Archived