talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Agnelli: 'Should Atalanta be in Champions League?'

• Subscriber

Just an idiotic comment from him. Is he suggesting Leicester shouldn't have been given their spot in the competition the other season after winning the league? 

If a club has their best league finish in their history and it happens to be in a place that rewards them with European cup football the next season, well done! 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

We had similar said about us when we won the league. Executives working for UEFA saying "we respect Leicester" (bollocks) but ultimately then saying Manchester United deserve a place despite coming 5th because clubs like them have helped the Champions League become what it is today.

These people just do not get sport and yet they're in some worryingly powerful positions in it. It's just infuriating to read to be honest and I get I shouldn't bite now but it really does wind me up - these people constantly subtly restructure the sport to benefit the elite clubs and when that backfires they're still having snipes at genuinely good footballing stories, people who have defied the odds that they continue to stack against them.

I wouldn't mind if it was one idiot but I think this is the common thought process within bodies like UEFA now. It's just a ticking time bomb.

The very fact Leicester went and played in this cunts tournament that same year after he'd made those comments was simply embarrassing from us. Where's the self respect?

6 hours ago, Dan said:

We had similar said about us when we won the league. Executives working for UEFA saying "we respect Leicester" (bollocks) but ultimately then saying Manchester United deserve a place despite coming 5th because clubs like them have helped the Champions League become what it is today.

In England? Because I remember in 2005 when we won it, a lot of English people were pissed off UEFA was letting us defend the title and saying things like "well Everton earned the spot and they didn't" - so if similar shite was being said when you won the league and qualified... just goes to show people will bitch about anything.

I think it's absolutely mental to say that clubs who absolutely deserve to be in the CL, because they've done what it takes to qualify for the CL under the existing rules, just because they're not a club that's got no history in the competition. How in the fuck are Atalanta supposed develop any history of playing in club football's premier tournament (and arguably, the world's premier tournament because club football is a higher standard than international football and Europe's top clubs are the best clubs in the world) if they're not allowed to compete because they've got no history?

Atalanta are one of the more fun sides to watch in Europe right now, so aside from them deserving to be there because they qualified and then made it through the groups... like every other side that's still in the tournament. I think that the entertaining brand of football they play, plus the fact that they qualified and then made it out of the group stages means the answer to Agnelli's question is a resounding "Yes" they absolutely deserve to be in the CL.

• 2 months later...

Archived